No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Carbon 14 Dating...... [Re: charles] #6289986
07/29/18 09:46 PM
07/29/18 09:46 PM
Central montana
.204 Offline
trapper
.204  Offline
trapper

Central montana
Originally Posted By: charles
If evolution does not exist, why are a wolf, coyote, and dog related and can breed. Seems like all alimals would be unrelated without evolution, including humans.

I dont have a dog in the fight, just toossing out a thought.

That dogs and wolves are related have nothing to do with macro evolution. They are of the same species. What Christians have a problem with is a dog becoming g a cat at some point down the road.

And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgement!
Re: Carbon 14 Dating...... [Re: .204] #6290036
07/29/18 10:35 PM
07/29/18 10:35 PM
Central Texas
C
Chancey Offline OP
trapper
Chancey  Offline OP
trapper
C

Central Texas
Originally Posted By: jwill
Originally Posted By: charles
If evolution does not exist, why are a wolf, coyote, and dog related and can breed. Seems like all alimals would be unrelated without evolution, including humans.

I dont have a dog in the fight, just toossing out a thought.

That dogs and wolves are related have nothing to do with macro evolution. They are of the same species. What Christians have a problem with is a dog becoming g a cat at some point down the road.

Or a T-rex becoming a bird.....

Resident Conspiracy Theorist
Accused Moron, Nazi, Low IQ, and Putin Fan Boy
Re: Carbon 14 Dating...... [Re: Chancey] #6290049
07/29/18 10:52 PM
07/29/18 10:52 PM
Central Texas
C
Chancey Offline OP
trapper
Chancey  Offline OP
trapper
C

Central Texas
Paleontologists are convinced that they can determine the age of formations such as the (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) Creek Formation which contains a lot of fossils including, dinosaurs, mammals, reptiles, plants, etc. They sat that those fossils can be aged b/c they have dated the igneous rock (volcanic) layers both above and below the sedimentary rock where the fossils occur.

So, no one has ever "dated" a dinosaur fossil. The date is determined by how old they say the igneous rocks are. There is a whole lot of huge assumptions made by saying that, especially since many 'dino' fossils are found on top of the surface with other fossils that can be considered "mammal-like" dinosaurs.

When it comes to dinosaurs, it seems they were all screwed up, they were mammal like, bird like, and reptile like, all at the same time.

Re: Carbon 14 Dating...... [Re: Blaine County] #6290066
07/29/18 11:29 PM
07/29/18 11:29 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Originally Posted By: Blaine County

It doesn't mean if you're a bad Christian if you conclude, for example, the Flood is just a story. There are lots of impossible stories in the Bible. In my opinion, it's better for Christians to admit it.

Christian means CHRIST follower

Christ said he would be in the the grave THREE DAYS AS JONAH WAS IN THE BELLY OF TGE WHALE

CHRIST also said: it will be as it was when NOAH WENT IN TO THE ARK

So I would say YES to be a Good Christian you need to believe what tge bible says

ITS EASY IF YOU BELIEVE GOD IS WHO HE SAID HE IS. THE impossible IS EASY TO BELIEVE

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: Carbon 14 Dating...... [Re: Chancey] #6290095
07/30/18 01:44 AM
07/30/18 01:44 AM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
Originally Posted By: Chancey
If the dinosaur fossils are indeed 65 million years old, then there should not be a single atom of Carbon 14 left in them. However, the researchers in the article clearly say that their results are correct and that all measures were taken to prevent contamination.

So, they are challenging the museums of the world and the paleontologist to subject their fossils to C-14 dating. They have even said they would pay for it. So far, none of them are doing it. Why so, if they are so confident that dinosaurs died out 65 million years ago and that birds are their modern day descendants?

No reputable paleontologist will tell you 65 million year old dinosaur fossils were dated via carbon 14 dating. Can't be done! They're are other dating methods that are considered reliable for things that old and typically they will use all of them to cross check their results.

Really guys? What a narrow world some of us live in!

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Carbon 14 Dating...... [Re: waggler] #6290154
07/30/18 07:45 AM
07/30/18 07:45 AM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
Originally Posted By: waggler
In all seriousness, the debate among Christians on the young versus old earth has been going on for some time. However, many Christians attempt to do science backwards. They start at the assumption that the earth is young and then try to make fairly simple science (radiocarbon dating, counting tree rings, etc) fit into their young earth hypothesis. That not how science is approached.

I've listened to and read the books of young earth guys like Ken Ham and Morris, and I've been to their seminars. They mock scientists, they even mock Christian scientists who don't buy into their young earth ideas. When you go to a lecture put on by someone like Ham you'll realize that his main business is selling books and curriculum to home-schoolers and private Christian schools (I have nothing against home-schoolers or private schools).

If Ham and others like him where to alter their stance one bit it would discredit their books.

For you guys who doubt that the earth is old, I'm attaching a couple of videos that you should really take the time to watch if you are serious about the subject. The first is just a couple of minutes long and is a good introduction into the subject. The second video by John Lennox is rather long but very well worth the time to watch, as is just about anything else by Lennox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqMwqwb8Vn0

http://www.johnlennox.org/jresources/seven-days-that-divide-the-world/

I tend to agree with you the assertions of many popular creationists, waggler. Personally, I suspect the universe is fairly young and I think the universe was probably created in what we now know as six earth days. But I'm really only speculating based on hearsay, an informed faith in the truth of the Bible, and the evidence to which I have been exposed. I really can't say for sure. After all, I wasn't there when the universe was created.

The thing that irks me is how so many of these creationists claim they know for sure exactly how and when the universe was created. They claim to have the scientific evidence to prove it. Well I don't believe that any more than I believe this fantastic baloney about the spontaneous generation of life and a transformation from a few cells to the biological wonders we see today. You know what... those creationists weren't there when the universe was created either. Both sides are only making their best deductions based on their particular interpretation of the available facts.

That's why I am not inclined to visit the Creation Museum down in Kentucky. I was there once when it first opened and found that it made me really uncomfortable. I have no problem with creationists pointing out the many problems with the popular and modern scientific theories about the beginnings of life and the universe. I have no problem with them offering other possible interpretations of the known facts. I fully support putting forth the truth about creation as written in God's Word. But I am inclined not to trust them once they start claiming to have all the answers and knowing for sure exactly how it all went down.

It is obvious to me that the origins of matter and life are supernatural. For anyone to try to explain them based solely on natural mechanisms is pure foolishness.

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Re: Carbon 14 Dating...... [Re: Chancey] #6290155
07/30/18 07:48 AM
07/30/18 07:48 AM
Ohio
OhioBoy Offline
trapper
OhioBoy  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Carbon Dating:

The best explanation as it was explained to me was pretty simple and I liked it.

Science = carbon dating, based on carbon decaying at a consistent rate over time and thus can be measured and dated.

Religion = carbon exists, sure it decays, but not necessarily at a consistent rate of time in the presence of GOD there fore it can not be accurately measured and dated.

Only then did I understand the argument against Science.

Re: Carbon 14 Dating...... [Re: Chancey] #6290160
07/30/18 07:50 AM
07/30/18 07:50 AM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
So has any body heard about the Trex that was found and still had soft tissue in its bones prompting them to look at other dinosaurs bone and finding that more then half always contained soft tissue, something that they said was impossible. Their explanation doesn’t sound all that believable to me

But the. What do I know

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: Carbon 14 Dating...... [Re: Chancey] #6290162
07/30/18 07:51 AM
07/30/18 07:51 AM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
So has any body heard about the Trex that was found and still had soft tissue in its bones prompting them to look at other dinosaurs bone and finding that more then half always contained soft tissue, something that they said was impossible. Their explanation doesn’t sound all that believable to me

But the. What do I know

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: Carbon 14 Dating...... [Re: Chancey] #6290171
07/30/18 08:13 AM
07/30/18 08:13 AM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
The creation debate is a little like, what came first the chicken or the egg?

If God created all the complexities of the earth and the life on it, at what stage did it all begin? Did He create seeds that would eventually become trees or start out with trees that produce seeds? Were the first humans created as day old infants that raised themselves? Did He put life on a brand new planet or one that had already been "aged"? A God capable of creating life itself would certainly be able to create a planet with fossels and partially decayed carbon.

Re: Carbon 14 Dating...... [Re: Chancey] #6290189
07/30/18 08:50 AM
07/30/18 08:50 AM
Central Texas
C
Chancey Offline OP
trapper
Chancey  Offline OP
trapper
C

Central Texas
I don't think anyone is viewing the world through narrow glasses, but rather the opposite. Personally, I think Carbon 14 dating is accurate and a reliable method to date organic material less than say 50,000 years.

The question is, if Carbon dating is indeed accurate, and I believe it is, Then why is there Carbon 14 atoms in fossils that are said to be 65 million years old? If they are truly that old there should not be one single carbon atom left based on the decay of about 5,730 years.

Nightlife, I have heard of the soft tissue they found in the T-rex that was in the (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) Creek Formation. Prior to them finding that, it was thought that all soft tissue would be 100% gone by a million years.

Re: Carbon 14 Dating...... [Re: Chancey] #6290224
07/30/18 09:47 AM
07/30/18 09:47 AM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

I wonder how many young earth people realize that the idea started with an Irish guy named Bishop Ussher (1581-1656), he calculated that creation occurred at 6PM October 22, 4004 B.C.

He was also a Calvinist. I realize that this is getting way into the weeds of Theology, but I'll bet that many of you guys who believe in a young earth would have all kinds of problems with the some of the other beliefs of a Calvinist.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Carbon 14 Dating...... [Re: Chancey] #6290231
07/30/18 10:02 AM
07/30/18 10:02 AM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
I guess Bishop Ussher figured he had it pretty well figured out to have it all worked out to the specific hour.

But how do we know he was the first one to come up with the idea? How old did some people think the earth was before he came along?

Although I'm not married to the idea, I believe in a "young" earth. And I don't have any kind of problem at all with the beliefs of a Calvinist. I am one! laugh Of course, the two things have no relation to one another than I can see, other than perhaps a foundational belief in the truth and inerrancy of the scripture.

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Re: Carbon 14 Dating...... [Re: waggler] #6290237
07/30/18 10:19 AM
07/30/18 10:19 AM
Central montana
.204 Offline
trapper
.204  Offline
trapper

Central montana
I wonder how many young earth people realize that the idea started with an Irish guy named Bishop Ussher (1581-1656), he calculated that creation occurred at 6PM October 22, 4004 B.C.

He was also a Calvinist. I realize that this is getting way into the weeds of Theology, but I'll bet that many of you guys who believe in a young earth would have all kinds of problems with the some of the other beliefs of a Calvinist.

umm, kind of think the scriptures are the first to claim a young earth. I dont think the old earth theory was seriously talked about until early in 19th century.

Re: Carbon 14 Dating...... [Re: Chancey] #6290238
07/30/18 10:23 AM
07/30/18 10:23 AM
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

^^^^^^^
Kart29,
Sorry to hear about your Calvanistic leanings -I think God will overlook that little flaw on Judgement Day-.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that there are people who will argue vociferously in favor of a particular point that someone may espouse because they agree with that one position. However, they will then find all kinds of reasons to discredit everything else they say.

Maybe this will be a better example than my use of Ussher:

When I've had this young earth debate with fellow Christians who are antagonistic or suspicious of science I will set a trap for them. This is how the trap goes (it generally wont work for younger people, you had to be around during the O.J. trial).

I'll say to the person I'm debating with, "Do you believe O.J. was actually guilty of murdering Nicole Simpson and her friend Ron Goldman". 99% of the time the person will say "of course O.J. was guilty". I then ask them "and why do you think he was guilty even though the jury found him innocent". My friend will invariably reply that the DNA evidence was conclusive proof that he was guilty.

I then proceed to give my friend a hard time about his unquestioning faith in science when it supports his beliefs (O.J.s guilt), but then doubt science when it doesn't support his beliefs.

Re: Carbon 14 Dating...... [Re: .204] #6290242
07/30/18 10:27 AM
07/30/18 10:27 AM
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Originally Posted By: jwill

umm, kind of think the scriptures are the first to claim a young earth. I dont think the old earth theory was seriously talked about until early in 19th century.

jwill,
I'm still waiting for someone to show me the scripture reference that gives the age of the earth or when it was created, other than "In the Beginning...."

Re: Carbon 14 Dating...... [Re: Chancey] #6290272
07/30/18 11:27 AM
07/30/18 11:27 AM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
I find these kind of threads more amusing to read then to participate these days.
Some folks have got to get their wording sorted out though. Theories can be wrong. Science itself is not. Unlike religion, it constantly evolves and improves.
100 years ago a pocket watch was giving you the wrong time all the time and had to be wound up and adjusted on a day to day basis and was usually off by a few minutes, giving the wrong time. The watch I have strapped to my wrist now is linked to the atomic clock in Nevada and automatically updates its time at 0200 every night. It is still telling me the wrong time all be it by fractions of a millisecond. Good enough for me though. But that has been one of the advancements in science. Some religious folks however like to say that both watches are wrong with they are and thus science is wrong. Hard core folks then look up at the sun to see if its time for dinner yet. Others get into their truck powered by fossil fuels and drive home.
Waggler has the subject nailed down pretty good IMHO

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: Carbon 14 Dating...... [Re: Chancey] #6290305
07/30/18 11:56 AM
07/30/18 11:56 AM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
So science has to keep being tweaked because they find flaws

But as devote followers of the bible God and His word never change (NOTE: I said devote)

Like much if the "history" in the bible scholars said these cities, people, king never existed. But low and behold they then discover some proof of these places and people

Another example would be the "impossible" things like the day GOD stopped the earth for the battle to continue. Impossible right. Yet in Chinese history they report this "long " day. That's what I've read, can I prove that is real. No

Part of faith is just that faith. It's easier to believe in if you have seen the impossible.

I have, a huge tumor disappear overnight in my grandmothers brain. Drs say "no explanation"
I seen a guy falling off of a roof "fly" to another roof
There are way more and greater example of impossible things happening to say that ANYTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE and that to me includes young earth. Or even a rejuvenated earth "because in the beginning the earth was void and without form". But it was there !!

So hey I'll take GODS word over any man's

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: Carbon 14 Dating...... [Re: Chancey] #6290306
07/30/18 11:57 AM
07/30/18 11:57 AM
Central montana
.204 Offline
trapper
.204  Offline
trapper

Central montana
Lol. I find some statements kind of humerous as well Scuba, Such as science is never wrong, it just evolves.
Waggler stated that Christianity makes a lot of assumptions. Science, and yes geology, does the same thing. Uniformitarianism.

Re: Carbon 14 Dating...... [Re: Chancey] #6290308
07/30/18 11:59 AM
07/30/18 11:59 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
All the cures for diseases etc have come from science,as well as countless other things we all take for granted today.Funny how some dummies are so selective about what they choose to select as useable or not.From what I can see based on religion,lol.Sort of like how some choose to interpret the bible to justify atrocities racism etc.

Carry on with the preaching.

Last edited by Boco; 07/30/18 12:02 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread