No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Bobcat foot placement at rub post? [Re: Furvor] #6292912
08/02/18 06:44 PM
08/02/18 06:44 PM
Southaest Kansas
C
Coyote Clayton Offline
trapper
Coyote Clayton  Offline
trapper
C

Southaest Kansas
This reminds me of the old days on T-man!!!!!! I haven't seen this many seasoned cat trappers on one thread in a lonnnnggg time. Hopefully we can discuss long springs being inferior to coils, the weaknesses of bacon bait, oversized pans don't work, and the inappropriate use of gland lures at walk through sets.

Compulsive Coyote Washer
Re: Bobcat foot placement at rub post? [Re: Furvor] #6292949
08/02/18 07:14 PM
08/02/18 07:14 PM
Western Colorado
C
coloradocat Offline
trapper
coloradocat  Offline
trapper
C

Western Colorado
I would take a diet dew, Im still working on this girlish figure of mine. Don't want my britches making my hind end look big.

Colorado Search and Rescue- Interfering with natural selection since 1976
Re: Bobcat foot placement at rub post? [Re: Furvor] #6292965
08/02/18 07:42 PM
08/02/18 07:42 PM
California
Mercer Lawing Offline
trapper
Mercer Lawing  Offline
trapper

California
Nah I don't let grumpy old know it alls stir me up. It's the young know it alls that get me.

Cleve - the thread was about foot placement for rub sets. You write a "know it all Im the greatest Im the best" post about a bunch of stuff and then admit that you don't use rub sets but offer your expert advice. Pretty typical for the internet but what did you expect would happen? Folks just tell you how great you are and wish they had all the answers like you. Tell us how good you are but get all wadded up when someone expresses their thoughts.

With regard to catching them on accident - the thread was about foot placement not trapping skills. If you somehow know that EVERY cat that comes by your set steps exactly in the middle of your pan then you are the king. When I catch one in a foot hold they tear the ground all up so you really don't know if they visited the set 2-3 times, waked all around it checking it out, backed up and peed on it then got caught smelling their own pee or any of dozens of things that can and do happen. They must respect you so much that they hold their pose once the trap fires. Must be nice to get their and see them with one foot in the air dead center of your trap and a wonderful look of admiration on their face.

Because I trap somewhere that cats are more plentiful that makes them easier to catch? So the higher the population the dumber they are? So a cat visits your trap in Wisconsin (low density) and you have less chance of him stepping on your pan or entering your cage in Arizona because he is smarter, because there are fewer of them? huh? I would think that trapping higher densities and thus higher catch numbers would expose you to more cats and thus more interactions/experiences? I could be wrong.

Whatever. I hope I never fully understand bobcats and catch everyone that visits my sets because I would be done. Made it to the top. Mastered it and move on to something new. I would miss it.

And cage traps are somehow easier than foot holds? Say What?

ML

Last edited by Mercer Lawing; 08/02/18 07:45 PM.
Re: Bobcat foot placement at rub post? [Re: red mt] #6292970
08/02/18 07:49 PM
08/02/18 07:49 PM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
Lots of ice to keep mine cold and hot butter please and thanks. Extra salt too

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Re: Bobcat foot placement at rub post? [Re: Furvor] #6293081
08/02/18 10:14 PM
08/02/18 10:14 PM
Western Colorado
C
coloradocat Offline
trapper
coloradocat  Offline
trapper
C

Western Colorado
That's it????????

Re: Bobcat foot placement at rub post? [Re: Furvor] #6293095
08/02/18 10:37 PM
08/02/18 10:37 PM
WYOMING
J
John Graham Offline
trapper
John Graham  Offline
trapper
J

WYOMING
If I didn't have to get up at 3 a.m. to hunt coyotes, I'd stay and watch this. I might learn something.

Re: Bobcat foot placement at rub post? [Re: Furvor] #6293106
08/02/18 10:50 PM
08/02/18 10:50 PM
California
Mercer Lawing Offline
trapper
Mercer Lawing  Offline
trapper

California
Wow. Dude you need to go over to Lynx Lair. You would fit right in.

By any chance you hate the NTA and non - resident trapping?

Mercer. Name is Mercer.

But you can call me Sir Lynx Rufus

Re: Bobcat foot placement at rub post? [Re: Furvor] #6293115
08/02/18 11:02 PM
08/02/18 11:02 PM
Western Colorado
C
coloradocat Offline
trapper
coloradocat  Offline
trapper
C

Western Colorado
Is that like Roy D. Mercer? M E R C E R. How big of old boy are ya?

Re: Bobcat foot placement at rub post? [Re: Furvor] #6293123
08/02/18 11:16 PM
08/02/18 11:16 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
I've caught 3 at rub sets and missed one with snow on the ground to see it with my own eyes. Anyone want my 2 cents? Lol

Re: Bobcat foot placement at rub post? [Re: Furvor] #6293124
08/02/18 11:17 PM
08/02/18 11:17 PM
mt
M
MT bowhunter Offline
trapper
MT bowhunter  Offline
trapper
M

mt
Wow is all I have to say. I saw a bobcat once. They are a lot bigger than they look on TV!

I can't believe that cop put me in the back seat when I clearly called shotgun.
Re: Bobcat foot placement at rub post? [Re: Furvor] #6293133
08/02/18 11:32 PM
08/02/18 11:32 PM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
grin laugh smile whistle

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Bobcat foot placement at rub post? [Re: Furvor] #6293137
08/02/18 11:35 PM
08/02/18 11:35 PM
Utah
L
Lockjaw52 Offline
trapper
Lockjaw52  Offline
trapper
L

Utah
That’s some good entertainment right there!

Re: Bobcat foot placement at rub post? [Re: Furvor] #6293138
08/02/18 11:36 PM
08/02/18 11:36 PM
Montana
B
beartooth trapr Offline
trapper
beartooth trapr  Offline
trapper
B

Montana
Excellent

Re: Bobcat foot placement at rub post? [Re: Furvor] #6293144
08/02/18 11:41 PM
08/02/18 11:41 PM
Idaho Falls, Idaho
F
Furvor Offline OP
trapper
Furvor  Offline OP
trapper
F

Idaho Falls, Idaho
WOW. I asked a very pointed question. I appreciate all replies. But I was not expecting a graduate level dissertation on the size of a trap pan.

Re: Bobcat foot placement at rub post? [Re: Cleve] #6293159
08/03/18 12:07 AM
08/03/18 12:07 AM
SD
Boone Liane Offline
trapper
Boone Liane  Offline
trapper

SD
Originally Posted By: Cleve
Originally Posted By: Mercer Lawing
Nah I don't let grumpy old know it alls stir me up. It's the young know it alls that get me.

Cleve - the thread was about foot placement for rub sets. You write a "know it all Im the greatest Im the best" post about a bunch of stuff and then admit that you don't use rub sets but offer your expert advice. Pretty typical for the internet but what did you expect would happen? Folks just tell you how great you are and wish they had all the answers like you. Tell us how good you are but get all wadded up when someone expresses their thoughts.

With regard to catching them on accident - the thread was about foot placement not trapping skills. If you somehow know that EVERY cat that comes by your set steps exactly in the middle of your pan then you are the king. When I catch one in a foot hold they tear the ground all up so you really don't know if they visited the set 2-3 times, waked all around it checking it out, backed up and peed on it then got caught smelling their own pee or any of dozens of things that can and do happen. They must respect you so much that they hold their pose once the trap fires. Must be nice to get their and see them with one foot in the air dead center of your trap and a wonderful look of admiration on their face.

Because I trap somewhere that cats are more plentiful that makes them easier to catch? So the higher the population the dumber they are? So a cat visits your trap in Wisconsin (low density) and you have less chance of him stepping on your pan or entering your cage in Arizona because he is smarter, because there are fewer of them? huh? I would think that trapping higher densities and thus higher catch numbers would expose you to more cats and thus more interactions/experiences? I could be wrong.

Whatever. I hope I never fully understand bobcats and catch everyone that visits my sets because I would be done. Made it to the top. Mastered it and move on to something new. I would miss it.

And cage traps are somehow easier than foot holds? Say What?

ML

Dear Mr. Whatever tha heck your name is, in regards to your previous post. I here by grant you permission, from this day forward, to address me as "MR. CLEVE KING SIR". For cats don't leave my sets on their own accord. I realize that in the short exspanses of your feeble mind, you cannot possible conceive the notion that someone out there in the whole wild world might know something that you don't. Well take your Adderall and pay attention. Bobcats have been born with Ninja genetics. The way they move, the way they kill, the way they live their life. I've herd some ignorant men say that they are stupid animals and can be caught in a trap set by a child. Well ... this is true. But it's not that they are stupid, it's because they are fearless. If you would understand the nature of the beast, then you can use it against him. Take for example the way a cat moves, and the way he puts his feet down. He will always step in a soft quiet place if given the chance. They hate noise. From themselves and everything around them. It's the only reason a lion will run from dogs. He's not scared of them, heck he eats them. Its the noise of the hounds that freak them out. Cats make a living being sneaky. They will always step in a small round piece of Quiet, soft dirt in the middle of leaves, grass, what ever. Have you ever watched your house cat eat? look where it's front feet are. They are tight together and in the middle of his body from nose to rump. A bobcat can stretch out a foot or more to smell your set and that's all he is going to do. Then the he will do an about face and leave. That's all I can give ya for now, I don't want to melt down your little brain. So there you go. Your leaving here smarter than you were before. Till next time ... MR.CLEVE KING SIR. p.s. in the past 29 years. I've only seen in the snow of Kansas and the dust of South Texas a few cats leave my sets. They were all kitten tracks bar one. And that cat taught me how big of a dead zone all traps have. OH ...bye the way ... I'll give ya another tip. Turn your traps around. Have the dog away from the attractor. Have them stepping into the sweet spot. Not the dead zone... chow

Re: Bobcat foot placement at rub post? [Re: Furvor] #6293160
08/03/18 12:09 AM
08/03/18 12:09 AM
SD
Boone Liane Offline
trapper
Boone Liane  Offline
trapper

SD
Irony.......

Giving someone crap for trapping cats in CA (which apparently is overrun with cats), than saying they trap cats in South Texas, which, everywhere ive been in South Texas, is overrun with cats. And heck, can even throw lots of KS in that category too.

Last edited by Boone Liane; 08/03/18 12:10 AM.
Re: Bobcat foot placement at rub post? [Re: Coyote Clayton] #6293162
08/03/18 12:15 AM
08/03/18 12:15 AM
Oklahoma
Ken Smith Offline
trapper
Ken Smith  Offline
trapper

Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: Coyote Clayton
... and the inappropriate use of gland lures at walk through sets.

Wait.. are gland lures really inappropriate at walk through sets??

I'm one of the inexperienced cat trappers.

Matthew 7:6 KJV
Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine....
-OFBA, NTA, FTA, TTFHA-
Re: Bobcat foot placement at rub post? [Re: Ken Smith] #6293174
08/03/18 12:52 AM
08/03/18 12:52 AM
Oregon
P
PWC Offline
trapper
PWC  Offline
trapper
P

Oregon
Originally Posted By: Ken Smith
Originally Posted By: Coyote Clayton
... and the inappropriate use of gland lures at walk through sets.

Wait.. are gland lures really inappropriate at walk through sets??

I'm one of the inexperienced cat trappers.

The short version….. YES, totally unnecessary !

They are such a brave and fearless predator that there is no need buying commercial lure, you can just use recycled beer ! Lol

Re: Bobcat foot placement at rub post? [Re: Cleve] #6293176
08/03/18 01:09 AM
08/03/18 01:09 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted By: Cleve
Originally Posted By: Mercer Lawing
After a thousand plus cats and many many on trail cam I would never say I "understand" cat behavior. A few predictable traits but not even close to understanding them.

One of the better cat trappers in the state of NV, heck the entire country once told me he figures we catch as many cats on accident as we do on purpose.
Anyone who has ever run more than a couple trail cams on their cats sets I'm certain would agree.

ML

If you are catching cats in cages in California you aren't even in the same ballpark as a foothold trapper. And bragging about catching "a thousand bobcats" in a state that is over run with cats isn't much to brag about. Then telling us about "the BEST cat trapper in in the country" catching as many cats by accident as on purpose tells me all I need to know about his abilities as well. As far as I'm concerned any fool can catch a cat in a cage trap and your right, you don't have to know much about cats to do it. If you had spent 40 years studying bobcats and figured out how to make EVERY cat that investigates your set, step in the middle of an MB 550, then we would have something to talk about.
what I'm mad about is with all the knowledge supposedly going around this place no one thought to tell me it's easier to catch cats in cages!!!

Re: Bobcat foot placement at rub post? [Re: Furvor] #6293183
08/03/18 02:04 AM
08/03/18 02:04 AM
Nevadafornia
L
Lazarus Offline
trapper
Lazarus  Offline
trapper
L

Nevadafornia
California is off limits to any cat trapping, cage or otherwise.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread