No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: tjm] #6293184
08/03/18 02:06 AM
08/03/18 02:06 AM
Va
P
pass-thru Offline
trapper
pass-thru  Offline
trapper
P

Va
Originally Posted By: tjm
Brandishing a firearm is a felony in most states, if you use the excuse that you fear for your life to pull a gun out, then don't shoot, it follows that you are not truly in fear of your life. No fear=no excuse to draw, eh?
So either he is justified in shooting or he is not justified in displaying the gun. The same applies for any of you in the same circumstance.

Who ever mentioned that cops often brandish their weapons must know that cops are largely above the laws that apply to the rest of mankind.

This is just crazy rationale across the board.....crazy. Not to mention brandishing is a misdemeanor in any place I've seen. You are mistaking preparing yourself in defensive position with firing warning shots past somebody's head. Perpetuating legal untruths is dangerous and could influence some other person to shoot in a situation when they don't have the right.

Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: KeithC] #6293237
08/03/18 07:32 AM
08/03/18 07:32 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Online content
trapper
jbyrd63  Online Content
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted By: KeithC
Under Florida law, the shooter could have been charged with simple assault on the woman and child for just threatening them by verbally abusing them and raising his hand.

http://www.husseinandwebber.com/crimes/violent-crimes/simple-assault

I fail to see how the shooter is justified in any way for shooting the man who defended the woman and child from the shooter's crime

Keith

Man you should work for the CIA or FBI if you can tell what the old guys was saying. VERBALLY ABUSING? how do you know what he said?

Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: racerboy108] #6293241
08/03/18 07:38 AM
08/03/18 07:38 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Online content
trapper
jbyrd63  Online Content
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted By: racerboy108
The shooter was the aggressor against a woman and a young kid. I to would of came out and confront him. He should be charged for murder.

We as carriers need to carry a strong line on everyone that carries. Him carrying gave him some feeling of power to go around and call people out.

REALLY ? Aggressor? Didn't see any laws being broken by talking to someone. As for confronting him would your first contact be knocking him 20 feet across the parking lot. The old guy didn't even turn to him before he was drilled and knocked down. He had no clue the man was coming at him.

Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: Finster] #6293243
08/03/18 07:41 AM
08/03/18 07:41 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Online content
trapper
jbyrd63  Online Content
trapper
J

Ky
OK let me get this straight for you guys that say the old guy was wrong. You are in bed , someone kicks your door in and is coming in your house toward you. But as soon as he sees your gun he turns . Raise your hand if you wouldn't shoot. Now remember you have a hand gun pointed at him as he turns. But you don't shoot !!!!!

Yea right.

Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: jbyrd63] #6293254
08/03/18 08:01 AM
08/03/18 08:01 AM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted By: jbyrd63
OK let me get this straight for you guys that say the old guy was wrong. You are in bed , someone kicks your door in and is coming in your house toward you. But as soon as he sees your gun he turns . Raise your hand if you wouldn't shoot. Now remember you have a hand gun pointed at him as he turns. But you don't shoot !!!!!

Yea right.
Completely different circumstances. Someone coming into your home in the middle of the night is completely different than what happened here. Apples and oranges my friend, apples and oranges.

I BELIEVE IN MY GOD, MY COUNTRY AND IN MYSELF.
Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: tjm] #6293256
08/03/18 08:02 AM
08/03/18 08:02 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Brandishing a firearm is a felony in most states, if you use the excuse that you fear for your life to pull a gun out, then don't shoot, it follows that you are not truly in fear of your life. No fear=no excuse to draw, eh?
So either he is justified in shooting or he is not justified in displaying the gun. The same applies for any of you in the same circumstance.

Who ever mentioned that cops often brandish their weapons must know that cops are largely above the laws that apply to the rest of mankind.

The man who was assaulted was right to draw his weapon. As soon as he did, the situation immediately deescalated as it often does due to the mere presence of a weapon. At that point the immediate threat was over, the attacker was backing away and turning away. The shooter was not justified in pulling the trigger.

Eh...wot?

Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: Marty] #6293260
08/03/18 08:09 AM
08/03/18 08:09 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Online content
trapper
jbyrd63  Online Content
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted By: Marty
Unverified:

This is Markeis McGlockton's (the man that was shot and killed) rapsheet just for the past 9 years. {Aggravated Domestic Battery, 2 Counts of Assault and Battery, Robbery, Resisting Arrest with Violence, Disorderly Conduct, Grand Theft, Petty Theft, Burglary, Possession of Stolen Property, 3 Counts of Possession of Cocaine, Sale or Delivery of Cocaine, Possession of Marijuana with the Intent to Distribute, Sale of Counterfeit Drugs, Driving an Unregistered Vehicle, Driving on a Suspected License.

Thank YOU

Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: K52] #6293263
08/03/18 08:13 AM
08/03/18 08:13 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Online content
trapper
jbyrd63  Online Content
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted By: K52
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Physically assault the right person and you end up dead just like in the video.

Don't mess with grandpa's They will shoot you. I'm one and WAY too old to take a butt whooping.

Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: jbyrd63] #6293266
08/03/18 08:14 AM
08/03/18 08:14 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Man you should work for the CIA or FBI if you can tell what the old guys was saying. VERBALLY ABUSING? how do you know what he said?

REALLY ? Aggressor? Didn't see any laws being broken by talking to someone.

Maybe you should work for the CIA or FBI since you seem to be able to tell that he was merely talking and not verbally abusing and/or threatening.

Eh...wot?

Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: Finster] #6293270
08/03/18 08:26 AM
08/03/18 08:26 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Online content
trapper
jbyrd63  Online Content
trapper
J

Ky
I guess what has me scratching my head more than the shooting is how some on here are commenting. 99.9 % want to mouth and belly ache when groups or individuals want to ban or control any type of weapon. " I NEED 50 round clip to DEFEND myself" Or "I NEED A BIG BLACK GUN " to stop an AGGRESSOR . Then some old fart uses his carry gun to STOP an aggressor and you TWO FACED gun toters want to bash him .
YOU want to let people carry guns and for what. So they have to wear a tighter belt? Just to have something in their pocket? NO it is to stop some THUG from stomping you into the ground AFTER HE knocks you on your butt in front of the quickie mart. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: Finster] #6293273
08/03/18 08:29 AM
08/03/18 08:29 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Online content
trapper
jbyrd63  Online Content
trapper
J

Ky
Lug didn't say I knew what he was saying . But one thing I do know , he certainly didn't touch anyone.
Let me ask you something , when you where growing up did you ever hear the "sticks and stones may break my bones" saying?

Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: jbyrd63] #6293288
08/03/18 08:51 AM
08/03/18 08:51 AM
havelock, NC
Rye Offline
trapper
Rye  Offline
trapper

havelock, NC
I guess what has me scratching my head more than the shooting is how some on here are commenting. 99.9 % want to mouth and belly ache when groups or individuals want to ban or control any type of weapon. " I NEED 50 round clip to DEFEND myself" Or "I NEED A BIG BLACK GUN " to stop an AGGRESSOR . Then some old fart uses his carry gun to STOP an aggressor and you TWO FACED gun toters want to bash him .
YOU want to let people carry guns and for what. So they have to wear a tighter belt? Just to have something in their pocket? NO it is to stop some THUG from stomping you into the ground AFTER HE knocks you on your butt in front of the quickie mart. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the point here was that the old fart wasn't defending himself against an aggressor. The altercation was over. He mouthed off, got put on his butt and then shot a man for it.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first. "
--Mark Twain.

Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: Lugnut] #6293306
08/03/18 09:10 AM
08/03/18 09:10 AM
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Offline
trapper
Calvin  Offline
trapper
C

South metro, MN
Originally Posted By: Lugnut

The man who was assaulted was right to draw his weapon. As soon as he did, the situation immediately deescalated as it often does due to the mere presence of a weapon. At that point the immediate threat was over, the attacker was backing away and turning away. The shooter was not justified in pulling the trigger.

That's my take on it too, Lugnut. (Only from what a person can see in the inaudible clip, anyhow).

Overall, it looks like two guys when looking for trouble and found it. Funny how that works.

Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: Rye] #6293317
08/03/18 09:16 AM
08/03/18 09:16 AM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted By: Rye
I think the point here was that the old fart wasn't defending himself against an aggressor. The altercation was over. He mouthed off, got put on his butt and then shot a man for it.
Exactly! By drawing the gun, the "victim" backed off and was turning to walk away. At that point, there was no shot necessary. Now, had the "victim" advanced towards the shooter, I would say it was 100% justified. That did not happen here. Just because you pull a firearm, doesn't mean you have to shoot it. crazy There are hundreds of thousands if not millions of instances every year where just brandishing a firearm stops an attack. The evidence is overwhelming to say the least. At the point were the "victim" backs up and turns away, the shooter's life was no longer in danger. FACT!

I BELIEVE IN MY GOD, MY COUNTRY AND IN MYSELF.
Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: Finster] #6293323
08/03/18 09:23 AM
08/03/18 09:23 AM
Perham Minnesota 54
R
racerboy108 Offline
trapper
racerboy108  Offline
trapper
R

Perham Minnesota 54
Not sure I agree with your thoughts jbyrd. Audio would for sure clear up some things to go along with the video but we don't have that so reading body language is all we have. Remember were not law enforcement and what we think don't matter or change anything on this case. It's just our opinions to learn from.

What I see is a guy with nothing better to do driving in and while armed acting as the local handicap parking police. Does he have this right? Yes. Does he have the right to carry a firearm? Yes.

But is it smart or recommended to confront people and when challenged to pull a gun out at them? No. We have law enforcement for this. This guy has a history of pulling his gun. Am I as a gun supporter and a carrier going to support his actions just because he has a gun? No way. Does that make me two faced? No I just won't jump on his band wagon when I see negligence on him using his gun.

The shooter was looking for fights and it was just a matter of time before they escalated over his physical abilities and he was making a situation where he needed his gun for defense.

The victim came out and seen what was happening and dealt with it physically which could of been done without assaulting the shooter.

The part we don't need audio on is when the shooter is on the ground pointing his gun and the victim dropped his arms and was backing away. This is when he was shot. This is where the shooter crossed the line and a situation created by his actions went bad.

As a gun owner videos like this hurts all of us. We don't need images of power hungry gun carrying people out there confronting people for misdemeanor offenses.

Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: jbyrd63] #6293337
08/03/18 09:38 AM
08/03/18 09:38 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
So jbyrd63, you seem to be indicating that you’re okay with folks who choose to carry guns using excessive force and killing people unnecessarily? I mean, what’s the point of carrying a gun if you don’t use your it once and a while right?

From what I see on the video, this shooting was unjustified. If I choose to call it murder and you choose to call me two-faced for that, I’m okay with it.

Eh...wot?

Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: Finster] #6293356
08/03/18 10:00 AM
08/03/18 10:00 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Online content
trapper
jbyrd63  Online Content
trapper
J

Ky
Well don't guess it "matters" how you see it . DA didn't press charges. Some may "see it" that an AR isn't needed to defend your home. Don't make their point of view right !!!!

just saying.

Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: Finster] #6293359
08/03/18 10:02 AM
08/03/18 10:02 AM
South Dakota
R
Rat Masterson Offline
trapper
Rat Masterson  Offline
trapper
R

South Dakota
Well we know one thing,that dude will not be shoving any old guys down anymore. One thing I did notice the guy that got shot had enough strength to get away, he could have just as easily turned around and jumped on the old dude and killed him. We will never know.

Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: Finster] #6293366
08/03/18 10:11 AM
08/03/18 10:11 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Online content
trapper
jbyrd63  Online Content
trapper
J

Ky
Point and ONLY point I am making . Go around knocking old farts down and you just may get shot. Shouldn't be suprised.

But answer me this. The old fart instead of pulling a gun ( the why he felt he needed to defend himself) jumps up and knocks the thug on his back side . BUT the thug is turning away after he sees he has shoved the wrong guy. Would that be assault by the old fart. Because you guys are wanting him charged with assault with a deadly weapon (at the time it happened) then murder as the THUG died. So if he had just got up and beat his arse even tho the thug tried to back away that would have then been assault by old dude !!! He defended himself with what he had. That's how the law looks at it. Just so happen he used a gun .

Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: racerboy108] #6293367
08/03/18 10:13 AM
08/03/18 10:13 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Online content
trapper
jbyrd63  Online Content
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted By: racerboy108
Not sure I agree with your thoughts jbyrd. Audio would for sure clear up some things to go along with the video but we don't have that so reading body language is all we have. Remember were not law enforcement and what we think don't matter or change anything on this case. It's just our opinions to learn from.

What I see is a guy with nothing better to do driving in and while armed acting as the local handicap parking police. Does he have this right? Yes. Does he have the right to carry a firearm? Yes.

But is it smart or recommended to confront people and when challenged to pull a gun out at them? No. We have law enforcement for this. This guy has a history of pulling his gun. Am I as a gun supporter and a carrier going to support his actions just because he has a gun? No way. Does that make me two faced? No I just won't jump on his band wagon when I see negligence on him using his gun.

The shooter was looking for fights and it was just a matter of time before they escalated over his physical abilities and he was making a situation where he needed his gun for defense.

The victim came out and seen what was happening and dealt with it physically which could of been done without assaulting the shooter.

The part we don't need audio on is when the shooter is on the ground pointing his gun and the victim dropped his arms and was backing away. This is when he was shot. This is where the shooter crossed the line and a situation created by his actions went bad.

As a gun owner videos like this hurts all of us. We don't need images of power hungry gun carrying people out there confronting people for misdemeanor offenses.

Don't think this case was just a "challenger " as you put it. But you must get shoved a lot standing in parking lots...

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread