No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Vortex scope? [Re: bob maier] #6293674
08/03/18 06:30 PM
08/03/18 06:30 PM
SD
Boone Liane Offline
trapper
Boone Liane  Offline
trapper

SD
Vortex is junk in your opinion.

Swarovski is overpriced mid-life crises status symbol gear in mine.

I’ve compared Razors to Swaros ad nauseum. Are the swaros better? Sure, marginally. Are they worth the extra $1200-1500 better?NOPE! Awful lot of extra money for very little gain.

Re: Vortex scope? [Re: bob maier] #6293754
08/03/18 08:57 PM
08/03/18 08:57 PM
Oklahoma
Ken Smith Offline
trapper
Ken Smith  Offline
trapper

Oklahoma
I'm a vortex fan all the way. They are quality scopes with the best warranty on the market. All made here in the USA, and they are awesome.

I have owned a viper, and currently use a strike eagle 3-18x44 ebr-4 great scope. If you couple these reticles with a good long range ballistic calculator you can dial the turret at any range and dead eye whatever you shooting, steel or meat.

I'm gonna buy a couple PST gen2s later this year to top some bergaras off.

Vortex woops the Leupold and Nikons that I own. Hands down

Matthew 7:6 KJV
Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine....
-OFBA, NTA, FTA, TTFHA-
Re: Vortex scope? [Re: bob maier] #6293794
08/03/18 09:59 PM
08/03/18 09:59 PM
South Dakota
R
Rammer Offline
trapper
Rammer  Offline
trapper
R

South Dakota
I’ll admit I bought a pair of Swarovski 8x30 CL. They are the only optics I’ve ever had to return to the mothership, not once, but twice. First time was sub zero coyote calling under a full moon and the strap connector separated from the binoculars body. The second time I was archery elk hunting (reason I bought them for in first place size and weight is awesome for archery) and I went to glass a mountain, and low and behold it looked like a broken coke bottle when I looked. If you closed one eye they worked perfect, both eyes absolutely not. I sold them this spring after I got them back from being rebuilt.

I’m a huge fan of Zeiss binoculars, I have a pair of Conquests I bought when they were a lot cheaper than they are now, and they’ve been on the dash of my pickup for the last fifteen years or so, and are still crystal clear when I clean the dust off.

I did buy a pair of the Vortex two hundred or less binos that Cabela’s puts on sale and they are impressive for the price point.

Re: Vortex scope? [Re: bob maier] #6293851
08/03/18 11:05 PM
08/03/18 11:05 PM
mo
B
billwhitakermo Offline
trapper
billwhitakermo  Offline
trapper
B

mo
Buy the vortex, you won't regret it. I have 5 vortex scopes and I like all of them. In fact I don't even look at any other brand any more. Is a $2500 night force or swaro better than a $500 vortex? Darn right they are and should be. In the $200 to $500 range I haven't seen any other brand offer the clarity or features that vortex does. Leupold lovers go ahead and disagree, to each his own.

Re: Vortex scope? [Re: kingrat] #6293901
08/04/18 12:12 AM
08/04/18 12:12 AM
WV
G
garymc Offline
trapper
garymc  Offline
trapper
G

WV
Originally Posted By: kingrat
There's a reason everyone says that their warranty is second to none. I'd rather buy a Nikon or Leupold and not find out what their warranty is like.

I second that. I had a Vortex Diamondback fail three times. Yes they honored the warranty but I had never had a scope failure in 35 years prior to the vortex.

After the third failure I replaced it with a Leupold

Re: Vortex scope? [Re: Ken Smith] #6298701
08/10/18 03:46 PM
08/10/18 03:46 PM
Alaska
H
Hupurest Offline
"Andy S wannabe"
Hupurest  Offline
"Andy S wannabe"
H

Alaska
Originally Posted By: Ken Smith
I'm a vortex fan all the way. They are quality scopes with the best warranty on the market. All made here in the USA, and they are awesome.

definitely NOT all, nor any are made in the USA..
Japan for the razor
Phillipines for everything else except
Crossfire, made in China..

Originally Posted By: Malukchuk
I'll take wolves over idiots any day.
Re: Vortex scope? [Re: bob maier] #6298709
08/10/18 04:08 PM
08/10/18 04:08 PM
Oklahoma
sparkyd Offline
trapper
sparkyd  Offline
trapper

Oklahoma
I have not owned a Vortex long enough to really say they are better than Leupold or Nikon. But the PST gen II is pretty darn good scope. Now I did fall once while climbing into the tractor and broke a Leupold VXII 3-9 sent it back in and $40.00 later had a new turret and scope. Even after I explained it was my fault. I think the Vortex tracks with less error than the Nikons. Leopold tracks good and Night force is excellent. And It Sucks that the Vortex Gen II pst is made in the Philippines. My only complaint with Vortex is they are heavy compared to Leupold.

Re: Vortex scope? [Re: bob maier] #6298822
08/10/18 07:30 PM
08/10/18 07:30 PM
Hilton, NY
P
Paul D. Heppner Offline
trapper
Paul D. Heppner  Offline
trapper
P

Hilton, NY
I bought a Vortex Diamondback 2x7. Dealer said it was a great piece of equipment, lifetime warranty, blah, blah, blah. Sighting it in, on the SIXTH shot it came apart internally. You could see lenses and retaining rings from either end of the scope plus it rattled real good. Back to the dealer, gave him the busted scope and $50 and walked out with a Leupold 2x7 that now has had hundreds of rounds through it. Never again, Leupold or Nikon from now on.

Re: Vortex scope? [Re: Hupurest] #6299559
08/11/18 10:22 PM
08/11/18 10:22 PM
Rock Springs, WI
Z
Zim Offline
trapper
Zim  Offline
trapper
Z

Rock Springs, WI
Originally Posted By: Hupurest
Originally Posted By: Ken Smith

definitely NOT all, nor any are made in the USA..
Japan for the razor
Phillipines for everything else except
Crossfire, made in China..

Not true, they recently completed a 16 million dollar facility in Barneveld, Wisconsin. I worked on land surveying and municipal engineering for the facility for the better part of 3 years. There is a 1 acre building which is a machine shop, a 6 acre building which is warehousing and corporate offices, a hundred yard indoor shooting range and a just recently completed day care facility for the employee's children.

Zim

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread