ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Topic Options
Hop to:
#6292769 - 08/02/18 01:41 PM What Bait for rabbits?
AuthorTrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Central/Western Texas
I have a young friend who wants to trap some rabbits and asked me what bait to use. Since I've never targeted rabbits, I can't discuss the subject intelligently. What do you guys use?
Thanks!
AuthorTrapper.

#6292816 - 08/02/18 03:00 PM Re: What Bait for rabbits? [Re: AuthorTrapper]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

Loc: Louisiana
I’ve never targeted rabbits, but.....I’m not aware of an animal that walks that couldn’t be effectively caught using blind sets, but if he really wants to use bait, I’d recommend fruit. Maybe try apples....they sure love eating my watermelons. I lost several melons to rabbits this year. They’d gnaw on the rinds, and once they’d get through, the melon would sour and be ruined.

Some of the best places that I trap mink are rabbit patches.

Don’t Tread On Me!

#6292818 - 08/02/18 03:02 PM Re: What Bait for rabbits? [Re: AuthorTrapper]
CallmeBob Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
carrots maybe?

#6292833 - 08/02/18 03:38 PM Re: What Bait for rabbits? [Re: AuthorTrapper]
BigBob Offline
trapper

Loc: St. Louis Co, Mo
Bunny's will be attracted to any "Cavity", like a covered cage or box trap, no bait really required. But they will eat Fruit's/Vegie's, and like salt. Put some outside the trap to get them interested.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!

#6293231 - 08/03/18 06:22 AM Re: What Bait for rabbits? [Re: AuthorTrapper]
MChewk Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Illinois
Rabbit droppings and rabbit urine out shine most attractors

#6293234 - 08/03/18 06:31 AM Re: What Bait for rabbits? [Re: AuthorTrapper]
joepennanti Offline
trapper

Loc: New York STATE
"Apples, carrots, cabbage, and other fresh green vegetables are good baits in warmer weather or climates. These soft baits become mushy and ineffective once frozen. A good summer bait for garden traps is a cabbage leaf rolled tightly and held together by a toothpick. For best results, use baits that are similar to what the target rabbits are feeding on."
http://icwdm.org/handbook/mammals/CottontailRabbits.asp

If using live traps, consider this: A wooden rabbit trap is the preferred rabbit trap, specifically designed for capturing rabbits that refuse to go into a wire cage. The simple design was "borrowed" from the Pennsylvania Game Commission, who published a document on capturing cottontail rabbits. Anyone who has tried to get a rabbit to go into a wire cage knows that it isn't that easy. Rabbits appear to be more comfortable entering a wooden box.

#6293396 - 08/03/18 09:56 AM Re: What Bait for rabbits? [Re: AuthorTrapper]
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper

Loc: mequon, wisconsin
From my own experience the wooden rabbit trap is a joke. I have two and that's how many rabbits I've caught in them, two! My old style Havaharts have caught more than a hundred. Comstocks work but not as well as the Havaharts. The only bait that will catch rabbits and not every other animal in the area is hay. But they won't be attracted to it this time of the year. Many of the guys in our business say that coyotes are easier to catch than rabbits this time of the year. That may be true.

#6293450 - 08/03/18 11:31 AM Re: What Bait for rabbits? [Re: AuthorTrapper]
MChewk Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Illinois
Paul, the wooden traps down here in my country... kick tail!
And....your last statement is CORRECT....too much other food stuff that's why urine and droppings rock.

#6293551 - 08/03/18 02:07 PM Re: What Bait for rabbits? [Re: AuthorTrapper]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

Loc: Louisiana
Honestly, if I wanted to trap rabbits to eat, and if it were legal, I’d use 160s set 2-3” off the ground, blind on trails. You could wear them out. If I wanted live rabbits, and if it were legal, I’d set double door cage traps blind on rabbit trails.

For the record, I have never intentionally trapped rabbits. I have no plans nor desire to trap rabbits either.

Don’t Tread On Me!

#6298607 - 08/10/18 11:09 AM Re: What Bait for rabbits? [Re: AuthorTrapper]
chains Offline
trapper

Loc: Fl
Hide in bush and call like a Carrot !

#6298691 - 08/10/18 02:07 PM Re: What Bait for rabbits? [Re: AuthorTrapper]
bobcat gitter' Offline
trapper

Loc: New York
Hey Mr. Bunny!! I got a nice juicy carwat!!! he hehehe......oh and be sure to wear orange!!