No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: Finster] #6293368
08/03/18 10:14 AM
08/03/18 10:14 AM
Va
P
pass-thru Offline
trapper
pass-thru  Offline
trapper
P

Va
Since when does 40's count as "old fart"?!

Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: Finster] #6293371
08/03/18 10:20 AM
08/03/18 10:20 AM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
I found this article that describes what happened and who these two were. The shooter was only 47yo, hardly a senior citizen. I think the guy had John Wayne syndrome or maybe a cop wannabe that couldn't make the cut? In any event, I'll stick by my decision that he gives CCW holders a bad name.

A motorist who shot and killed a man who shoved him to the ground during a heated row over a handicapped parking space likely won't be charged, police have said.
Michael Drejka, 47, was cleared by police in Thursday's shooting of 28-year-old Markeis McGlockton in Clearwater, Florida, where an argument over proper parking etiquette took a deadly turn.
The shooting 'is within the bookends of stand your ground and within the bookends of force being justified,' Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri said at a recorded press conference on Friday.
'I'm not saying I agree with it, but I don't make that call,' the sheriff added.
Surveillance video of the incident shows that McGlockton was riding in a 2016 Chrysler 2000 driven by his girlfriend Britany Jacobs, 25, when she pulled into the parking lot of the Circle-A Food Store at 3.27pm.
Jacobs is seen parking in a handicapped spot on the side of the building, although there are several other spaces free in the parking lot.
McGlockton and his five-year-old son get out of the car and go into the convenience store while his girlfriend Jacobs waits in the driver's seat.
Soon after, Drejka parks in a Toyota 4-Runner and gets out, quickly spotting that the car parked in the handicapped spot does not have a placard or decal.
Drejka begins scolding the driver and gestures toward the other empty spots in the parking lot. Police say the argument became 'heated' but did not involve any threats.
As the drivers remonstrated, a witness entered the store and informed the clerk that there was a disturbance outside, police said.
McGlockton, leaving his son in the store, rushes outside and directly up to Drejka, shoving him hard onto the ground.
Drejka, who has a valid concealed carry permit, pulls out a handgun and fires within seconds of being slammed to the ground, striking McGlockton in the chest.
Police say the men did not exchange words through the entire incident. McGlockton turned and stumbled back inside the store and was soon pronounced dead at an area hospital.
Drejka remained at the scene and placed the gun inside his vehicle before police arrived, cops say. Investigators say he was cooperative and spoke openly with investigators about what had transpired.
McGlockton's girlfriend was devastated when police declined to bring charges against Drejka.
'It's a wrongful death. It's messed up. Markeis is a good man … He was just protecting us, you know?' she told the Tampa Bay Times on Friday. 'And it hurts so bad.'
Florida's self-defense law, like the laws in 26 other states, is known as 'stand your ground', authorizing deadly force in self-defense with no duty to retreat from an attacker. The Florida law stirred controversy in particular when it was successfully invoked in the shooting of Trayvon Martin.
Sheriff Gualtieri said that Drejka appeared to act out of fear for his safety within the bounds of the law, but that the case would be handed over to prosecutors for a final determination.
'I'm a firm believe in the adage just because you can doesn't mean you should,' Gualtieri said. 'But I'll also say this, I'm also not going to substitute my judgement for Drejka's judgement sitting on that ground, after having been slammed to the ground.'
'He made a decision. So it really doesn't matter what I would have done or what anybody else would have done... he's just a citizen, and he felt he had to defend himself.'

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...e-cops-say.html

Last edited by Finster; 08/03/18 10:21 AM.

I BELIEVE IN MY GOD, MY COUNTRY AND IN MYSELF.
Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: Finster] #6293373
08/03/18 10:23 AM
08/03/18 10:23 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Sorry if my "two face comment offended anyone. But put yourself in the old guys shoes. Yea he is a grouchy old guy. WE ALL HAVE BEEN THERE. But with out it being your butt laying on your back with some big black thug standing over you don't even start to judge his reaction. KEY word is REACTION !!!!

Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: Finster] #6293374
08/03/18 10:25 AM
08/03/18 10:25 AM
MN
FlyinFinn Offline
trapper
FlyinFinn  Offline
trapper

MN
Can't even have an old fashioned ballywhoo over someone scolding your hen anymore without the weaker soul pulling a pistol. The shooter deserves to be curb stomped, if you believe in karma.

Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: jbyrd63] #6293376
08/03/18 10:27 AM
08/03/18 10:27 AM
MN
FlyinFinn Offline
trapper
FlyinFinn  Offline
trapper

MN
Originally Posted By: jbyrd63
Sorry if my "two face comment offended anyone. But put yourself in the old guys shoes. Yea he is a grouchy old guy. WE ALL HAVE BEEN THERE. But with out it being your butt laying on your back with some big black thug standing over you don't even start to judge his reaction. KEY word is REACTION !!!!

I sincerely hope, for the sake of those who are unfortunate enough to be forced to interact with you, you do not carry a firearm.

Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: pass-thru] #6293377
08/03/18 10:28 AM
08/03/18 10:28 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted By: pass-thru
Since when does 40's count as "old fart"?!

OK think about it Life expectentcey is 72. So doesn't that mean 36 is middle aged lol.

Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: FlyinFinn] #6293381
08/03/18 10:33 AM
08/03/18 10:33 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted By: FlyinFinn

I sincerely hope, for the sake of those who are unfortunate enough to be forced to interact with you, you do not carry a firearm.

Carry one all the time . Have for over 30 years. Never been knocked to the ground. If physically able after hitting said ground would pull my gun. IF I was blind sided by some big black dude in front of the quickie mart. Ok show of hands the people that carry that wouldn't.

ANY ONE?
what I thought.
As for using it NO ONE ABSOLUTLY NO ONE knows what they would do until faced with that scenario.

Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: FlyinFinn] #6293385
08/03/18 10:39 AM
08/03/18 10:39 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted By: FlyinFinn
Can't even have an old fashioned ballywhoo over someone scolding your hen anymore without the weaker soul pulling a pistol. The shooter deserves to be curb stomped, if you believe in karma.

I think karma showed up. May be it was the black guys turn to meet her..........

Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: Finster] #6293388
08/03/18 10:42 AM
08/03/18 10:42 AM
MN
FlyinFinn Offline
trapper
FlyinFinn  Offline
trapper

MN
Wow.

Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: Finster] #6293389
08/03/18 10:44 AM
08/03/18 10:44 AM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Well, I posted this video in order to make people stop and think. Hopefully aiding someone at some point to avoid a similar situation. There is a lot to consider when you walk out of your home with a firearm. You must be more aware than normal. You must keep your temper in check. You must be able to access a situation and try to be moves ahead if time is permitting. Carrying a gun does not make you a cop. It does not make you a tough guy. It is for one purpose only, to save your life or the life of others. Often this can be accomplished just by showing it but other times it may be needed to take a life to preserve the innocent. All of this is a huge responsibility and should never be taken lightly. This outcome, one man is dead. Probably not a good man but in this instance, was an assault, that was most likely over, warrant a deadly response? That is debatable as we have been doing. It's good to talk about such things. Regardless of what happened in this instance, I think it's very important to note that if you are ever in a situation where you must use your firearm to take a life, even if totally 100% justified, at that moment and thereafter your life will change. You will never be the same. You could lose everything you have worked for, you may develop PTSD, you may have emotional problems, you could have family problems or problems with your spouse and that's just to name a few. God forbid it's a bad shoot, you will lose everything including your freedom. I say all of this not to scare anyone or to be anti-CCW, I say this to make people think about what a life changing, awesome reasonability carrying a firearm is.

Last edited by Finster; 08/03/18 10:47 AM.

Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: Finster] #6293390
08/03/18 10:47 AM
08/03/18 10:47 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted By: Finster
Well, I posted this in order to make people stop and think. Hopefully aiding someone at some point to avoid a similar situation. There is a lot to consider when you walk out of your home with a firearm. You must be more aware than normal. You must keep your temper in check. You must be able to access a situation and try to be moves ahead if time is permitting. Carrying a gun does not make you a cop. It does not make you a tough guy. It is for one purpose only, to save your life or the life of others. Often this can be accomplished just by showing it but other times it may be needed to take a life to preserve the innocent. All of this is a huge responsibility and should never be taken lightly. This outcome, one man is dead. Probably not a good man but in this instance, was an assault, that was most likely over, warrant a deadly response? That is debatable as we have been doing. It's good to talk about such things. Regardless of what happened in this instance, I think it's very important to note that if you are ever in a situation where you must use your firearm to take a life, even if totally 100% justified, at that moment and thereafter your life will change. You will never be the same. You could lose everything you have worked for, you may develop PTSD, you may have emotional problems, you could have family problems or problems with your spouse and that's just to name a few. God forbid it's a bad shoot, you will lose everything including your freedom. I say all of this not to scare anyone or to be anti-CCW, I say this to make people think about what a life changing, awesome reasonability carrying a firearm is.

I agree 110 %

Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: jbyrd63] #6293391
08/03/18 10:50 AM
08/03/18 10:50 AM
Perham Minnesota 54
R
racerboy108 Offline
trapper
racerboy108  Offline
trapper
R

Perham Minnesota 54
Originally Posted By: racerboy108
Not sure I agree with your thoughts jbyrd. Audio would for sure clear up some things to go along with the video but we don't have that so reading body language is all we have. Remember were not law enforcement and what we think don't matter or change anything on this case. It's just our opinions to learn from.

What I see is a guy with nothing better to do driving in and while armed acting as the local handicap parking police. Does he have this right? Yes. Does he have the right to carry a firearm? Yes.

But is it smart or recommended to confront people and when challenged to pull a gun out at them? No. We have law enforcement for this. This guy has a history of pulling his gun. Am I as a gun supporter and a carrier going to support his actions just because he has a gun? No way. Does that make me two faced? No I just won't jump on his band wagon when I see negligence on him using his gun.

The shooter was looking for fights and it was just a matter of time before they escalated over his physical abilities and he was making a situation where he needed his gun for defense.

The victim came out and seen what was happening and dealt with it physically which could of been done without assaulting the shooter.

The part we don't need audio on is when the shooter is on the ground pointing his gun and the victim dropped his arms and was backing away. This is when he was shot. This is where the shooter crossed the line and a situation created by his actions went bad.

As a gun owner videos like this hurts all of us. We don't need images of power hungry gun carrying people out there confronting people for misdemeanor offenses.

Don't think this case was just a "challenger " as you put it. But you must get shoved a lot standing in parking lots...

The shooter was on a power trip and thinking he was some kind of authority to confront people. Not to mention the coward confronted a woman and child. And no doubt if I got shoved I would put a whipping in return. But I will not shoot someone while there arms are down and walking away. Being a carrier I have self discipline and don't react out of being scared. The shooter created the situation.

Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: Finster] #6293414
08/03/18 11:35 AM
08/03/18 11:35 AM
Indiana
F
fishnhunts Offline
trapper
fishnhunts  Offline
trapper
F

Indiana
We can sit here and scrutinize video and replay it over and over again, but what everyone has failed to realize, or mention at least, is this guy went from standing up having a conversation with someone to on his back on the pavement in a flash. He had no idea what the intentions of whoever put him there was.
He drew his weapon and fired at someone that assaulted him. In that instant, from a compromising position and possibly disoriented, he made a decision that he was under attack. I don't think anyone here could dispute that. Unfortunately for the shooter it did not happen in slow motion and he was not able to replay it over and over again. It looks bad on tape, it really does, but look how violently he was attacked. He was completely taken off guard. Whether he was right to be talking to the lady or if he was verbally abusing her, I don't know because that evidence is not in front of us. I am glad I'm not the one in that position.

Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: fishnhunts] #6293428
08/03/18 11:58 AM
08/03/18 11:58 AM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted By: fishnhunts
We can sit here and scrutinize video and replay it over and over again, but what everyone has failed to realize, or mention at least, is this guy went from standing up having a conversation with someone to on his back on the pavement in a flash. He had no idea what the intentions of whoever put him there was.
He drew his weapon and fired at someone that assaulted him. In that instant, from a compromising position and possibly disoriented, he made a decision that he was under attack. I don't think anyone here could dispute that. Unfortunately for the shooter it did not happen in slow motion and he was not able to replay it over and over again. It looks bad on tape, it really does, but look how violently he was attacked. He was completely taken off guard. Whether he was right to be talking to the lady or if he was verbally abusing her, I don't know because that evidence is not in front of us. I am glad I'm not the one in that position.
You have a point. Luckily for the shooter, this was on tape. Even though most of us on here consider it a "bad shoot", if there was no recording of this event, the shooter very well might have been arrested for murder. It doesn't look there were many witnesses around and it may have come down to a he said, she said. The shooters defense would have been, he shoved me. The words don't quite indicate the severity of the shove.

Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: fishnhunts] #6293436
08/03/18 12:14 PM
08/03/18 12:14 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted By: fishnhunts

What I have been trying to say all along ...

Thank you fish

Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: Finster] #6293459
08/03/18 12:45 PM
08/03/18 12:45 PM
SE Kansas
K
K52 Offline
trapper
K52  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kansas
This whole stupid fest would have never happened had the entitlement mentality gal parked legally. Think about that. That's what started this whole chain of ignorance.

Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: ~ADC~] #6293471
08/03/18 01:12 PM
08/03/18 01:12 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Online content

trapper
330-Trapper  Online Content

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted By: ~ADC~
Originally Posted By: Finster
Well, the entire shooting could have been avoided from the get go and even a few times after that. I think the shooter takes the blame for the entire incident even happening. If he was that worried about someone parked in a handicap spot, he should have called or flagged down a cop. When you are armed, you want to avoid confrontation not initiate it. I don't like to blame the shooter but from what is seen here, wrong is wrong.

That's what I see too from what we can see.

What makes the guy think it's ok to take it upon himself to tell other people what to do? Too bad the guy that came out of the store didn't just knock him out instead of being nice and just shoving him away. If he was using the language and shouting at the lady and 5 year old kid in the car in the way it appears on the video.
This is my belief also. Could easily have been avoided.

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: Finster] #6293488
08/03/18 01:34 PM
08/03/18 01:34 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
I guess when you have 3 kids and are never get married so the government pays for it all...you are entitled to park where you want to, pretty common thing...

If someone says anything about it just assault them....these hood rats that have been in and out of prison will jack you up for looking at them wrong.

Its probably not a good idea to bring a shove to a gunfight.....a well armed society is a polite society.

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: K52] #6293540
08/03/18 02:49 PM
08/03/18 02:49 PM
Va
P
pass-thru Offline
trapper
pass-thru  Offline
trapper
P

Va
Originally Posted By: K52
This whole stupid fest would have never happened had the entitlement mentality gal parked legally. Think about that. That's what started this whole chain of ignorance.

Right/wrong on the parking is a complete non-issue in the shooting. Somebody parked illegally is rationale to a shooting? Jeez...

Re: Very "iffy" CCW shooting. [Re: pass-thru] #6293549
08/03/18 03:07 PM
08/03/18 03:07 PM
Perham Minnesota 54
R
racerboy108 Offline
trapper
racerboy108  Offline
trapper
R

Perham Minnesota 54
Originally Posted By: pass-thru
Originally Posted By: K52

Right/wrong on the parking is a complete non-issue in the shooting. Somebody parked illegally is rationale to a shooting? Jeez...

Agreed as that's reaching to justify a reason to shoot someone.

What's next? Maybe tabs on your plate expired? Or someone not using a blinker?

The shooter was out looking to confront people on his own authority. He was not physically or mentally prepared to handle the situations he was putting himself or others in.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread