Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Making bait from fruit.... #6294649
08/05/18 01:43 AM
08/05/18 01:43 AM
Va
P
pass-thru Offline OP
trapper
pass-thru  Offline OP
trapper
P

Va
what is the best preservative to make bait from fruit? Any suggestion on the best way to make it?

I have a Japanese persimmon that attracts just about every kind of furbearer. I would like to make a paste bait out of some of the fruit to have late season, and early the following season.

Thanks!

Re: Making bait from fruit.... [Re: pass-thru] #6294672
08/05/18 06:48 AM
08/05/18 06:48 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
You could use malic, citric, sugar, potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate and many others. Sugar or potassium sorbate will give the fruit paste a long shelf life along with the ingredients you use while making the paste. Depending on texture "desired" some of the preservatives will change the "product" once it has time to set. So I would test in small batches if you're looking for a certain consistency such as smear able, runny, gummy, etc. Everyone has a "BEST WAY" but at the end of the day, the animals have the last say.

Some think you need the hottest, newest most popular ingredient out there that people who roam the trapline with a name brand trap bag or trap pack use, not necessary they're just animals. We use a sticky, smear able paste that does a fine job on our fox and raccoon jobs.

I drop traps when called to remove animals so it isn't a numbers game for me. Paste baits work very well, and year round for me.

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91