No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
For those w/Parker pears??? #6295194
08/05/18 06:42 PM
08/05/18 06:42 PM
Kanabec Cty, MN
D
Drakej Offline OP
trapper
Drakej  Offline OP
trapper
D

Kanabec Cty, MN
Any issue with Fire blight? I want a cross pollinator variety for my Early Gold and Parker is a readily available hardy pear for my zone but info says they are susceptible to Fire blight. Wondering how much of a problem Fire blight is.

I've learned enough thru the years to now know that I don't know enough. KNOWLEDGE IS FREEDOM.
Re: For those w/Parker pears??? [Re: Drakej] #6295596
08/06/18 10:52 AM
08/06/18 10:52 AM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
I had some when I lived in Brunswick south of mora never had any trouble with them for the 15 years we lived there, like you we planted them asa pollinator for other varieties and they grew well and we had no trouble even though we just left them alone to do their thing

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: For those w/Parker pears??? [Re: Drakej] #6295613
08/06/18 11:24 AM
08/06/18 11:24 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Don't know how much you know about fireblight but in south it's an ever present problem. It's driven by humidity levels, particularly at time of bloom. Wet springs are the worst.

My experience in fireblight central is a cultivar has to be resistant or better otherwise it's a futile effort due to the disease pressures and environment. If we had a better climate I'm sure we could grow other cultivars.

I'very never heard of the cultivar you mention so I can't say whether it's resistant or not.

[Linked Image]
Re: For those w/Parker pears??? [Re: Drakej] #6295745
08/06/18 02:17 PM
08/06/18 02:17 PM
Jackson Co, KS
N
NEYotetrapper Offline
trapper
NEYotetrapper  Offline
trapper
N

Jackson Co, KS
I have Parker growing in my nursery, no signs of fireblight on it. Fireblight is generally not much of an issue here though, as the climate typically doesnt favor it.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread