No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Advice from Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock,1910's #6297263
08/08/18 04:11 PM
08/08/18 04:11 PM

S
sanfo008 OP
Unregistered
sanfo008 OP
Unregistered
S

From the book "Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper" which was published in 1913 (free to read on the Project Gutenberg website.) It contains a collection of his writings for "Hunter-Trader-Trapper" from 1903-1913. Strikes me as how some trapping advice is timeless:

"We make mistakes in not handling our fur properly; in not removing all fat and flesh from the skin in not stretching the skin on the proper shaped stretchers. Stretchers for most fur that we case should not taper more than 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch from shoulder to hind legs."

"We make mistakes in setting our traps too early, for one prime skin is worth more than three early caught ones. We make mistakes in not having one, and only one, responsible and honorable party in each large city to ship our furs to; by giving one party a large trade should give the trapper the full market price for his furs. It would also have a tendency to make the buyer honest and honorable, even though he was not built strictly that way in making. All trappers should know the address of the party agreed upon in each city. This would give the trapper a chance to ship to the party most convenient to the trapper."

"The average trapper also makes a mistake in listening to some one's ideas about scents in trapping the animal, instead of going to the forest, the field and the stream and there learn its nature, its habits and ways, and its favorite food. He also makes a mistake by spending his time in looking after scents, rubber gloves to handle traps with and wooden pincers to handle bait, instead of spending his time in learning the right way and the right place to set his traps. For one little slip and the game is gone if the trap is not properly set. It is like hunting in the days of the percussion cap gun. I have tramped all day long over hills and through valleys to get a shot at a deer, and just at night get the coveted opportunity, taking every precaution to see that there was no bush or obstruction in line. I would take deliberate aim, holding my breath that my aim might be sure. I trick the trigger, flick went the hammer, up goes the deer's tail and away he bounds beckoning me to come on. Come on, and my day's tramp has been in vain all on account of a damp gun cap. Now in these days of fixed ammunition, such mishaps rarely occur."

"Perhaps the average beginner at trapping makes his greatest mistake in listening to those who have had more experience in handling the pen than the trap."

"Now, boys, let us get into the habit of getting more money out of our catch of furs by removing the greater part of the fat from the skins; also by taking a little more time to skin and stretch the furs that we catch; also by doing less early and late trapping, when the fur is not in a fairly prime condition. I am pleased to see so many of the trappers in Pennsylvania advocating a closed season on the furbearers of this state, though I think that they seem to be in favor of a longer open season than will be to the trapper's advantage."

"Comrades, instead of slaughtering the fur bearers during the season of unprime furs, let us look up our trapping grounds, for the coming season, and have all preparations made, and our plans well laid. Then when the season of prime furs arrives, let us take to the trap line and follow it diligently for two or three months, then drop the fox, skunk, mink, coon and opossum and put in more time on beavers, otters, and muskrats."

Re: Advice from Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock,1910's [Re: ] #6297280
08/08/18 04:49 PM
08/08/18 04:49 PM
el vado, nm
T
Tom Fisher Offline
trapper
Tom Fisher  Offline
trapper
T

el vado, nm
Things don't change much! ""Perhaps the average beginner at trapping makes his greatest mistake in listening to those who have had more experience in handling the pen than the trap."

Re: Advice from Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock,1910's [Re: ] #6297284
08/08/18 04:52 PM
08/08/18 04:52 PM
new york
H
henpecked1 Offline
trapper
henpecked1  Offline
trapper
H

new york
One of my more favorite books, I have a hard copy version along with a couple soft cover, great reading of a time long past: with so much wisdom. Thanks for sharing. Jim

Re: Advice from Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock,1910's [Re: ] #6297287
08/08/18 04:54 PM
08/08/18 04:54 PM
Adirondacks, N.Y.
T
trapdye Offline
trapper
trapdye  Offline
trapper
T

Adirondacks, N.Y.
Hey Tom , Hows the Beaver trapping in NM ? Miss New York much.

John's Nuisance Wildlife Control
If you like what you do for a living, It's better than a vacation. Most days.
Re: Advice from Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock,1910's [Re: ] #6297437
08/08/18 08:40 PM
08/08/18 08:40 PM
el vado, nm
T
Tom Fisher Offline
trapper
Tom Fisher  Offline
trapper
T

el vado, nm
Catch a few beaver, should of moved the day I quit working , so no I don't miss NY Miss the trappers and mink!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread