No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Today’s youth and the 2nd amendment [Re: Teacher] #6298481
08/10/18 08:18 AM
08/10/18 08:18 AM
Virginia
T
thskeer Offline
trapper
thskeer  Offline
trapper
T

Virginia
[quote=Teacher]The second amendment gives us the right to bear arms in case there is no standing militia to protect us. Our military budget is huge. One can not say, in good conscience, that we don’t have a standing militia.

WRONG It has NOTHING to do with a standing military force. The military can not act inside the US. The military is not to protect you from tyrannical government.

The Militia of the time when the 2A was conceived and written was the citizen-soldier. Look at Switzerland today. EVERYONE serves at least 2 years, and they can take their rifle home with them. That is a true "force in waiting" and more likely what the founding fathers envisioned.

Re: Today’s youth and the 2nd amendment [Re: Teacher] #6298540
08/10/18 10:01 AM
08/10/18 10:01 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted By: Teacher
The second amendment gives us the right to bear arms in case there is no standing militia to protect us. Our military budget is huge. One can not say, in good conscience, that we don’t have a standing militia.

I believe the original post by Preassure 9pa called for more education of young people about the words they’re using to describe what they think they want. This is a good place to start rather than everyone here acting like they’re all constitutional scholars and limiting this discussion to a narrow point of view. Lighten up, people!

The second Amendment doesn't give us anything ! It prohibits government from infringing an inherent, unalienable, God-given right.

The Supreme Court has clearly stated...in black and white...that the protections guaranteed by the second amendment are in NO WAY tied to service in any militia nor dependent on the existence of a standing army or other armed force.

As I mentioned above....go read Scalia.

Mean As Nails
Re: Today’s youth and the 2nd amendment [Re: white17] #6298545
08/10/18 10:20 AM
08/10/18 10:20 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Excellent explanation White. Hopefully teacher educates himself before he continues to teach others.

Eh...wot?

Re: Today’s youth and the 2nd amendment [Re: white17] #6298550
08/10/18 10:27 AM
08/10/18 10:27 AM
Pennsylvania!
trapper4 Offline
trapper
trapper4  Offline
trapper

Pennsylvania!
Originally Posted By: white17
The second amendment gives us the right to bear arms in case there is no standing militia to protect us. Our military budget is huge. One can not say, in good conscience, that we don’t have a standing militia.

I believe the original post by Preassure 9pa called for more education of young people about the words they’re using to describe what they think they want. This is a good place to start rather than everyone here acting like they’re all constitutional scholars and limiting this discussion to a narrow point of view. Lighten up, people!

The second Amendment doesn't give us anything ! It prohibits government from infringing an inherent, unalienable, God-given right.

The Supreme Court has clearly stated...in black and white...that the protections guaranteed by the second amendment are in NO WAY tied to service in any militia nor dependent on the existence of a standing army or other armed force.

As I mentioned above....go read Scalia.

Well stated White!!!!! Free people do not need to explain freedom! Hard to believe that anyone would try to limit the freedoms so many have died to preserve. Ridiculous. My apologies to all who have served to maintain our freedoms. Although the left would have you think they are the majority, they are not!
If you do not LOVE freedom, then move to another country!!!
Freedom is what America was founded upon. The original drafters of the Constitution wrote it to prevent what they had just left- TYRANNY!
Teacher, why are you even on such a forum with your liberal views. You may be more accepted on Hillary's forum, she is always looking for people that she can think for!

Last edited by trapper4; 08/10/18 10:28 AM.

The 2nd Amendment is my concealed carry permit!
Member- FTA, LIFETIME-NRA
Re: Today’s youth and the 2nd amendment [Re: Scuba1] #6298593
08/10/18 11:41 AM
08/10/18 11:41 AM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Online content
"American Honey"
Sharon  Online Content
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Originally Posted By: Scuba1

You can call a friend to ask what it means or ask the audience.

grin Very cute toon hyena,Scuba ! I like him cool

Sentiments well articulated and researched, Sir Ken . Thank you .

Your patience and info will surely educate those open to updating , honing or sharpening their mind's library of life's refinements. Most, anyway......

I find it fascinating when I learned who/what has been the undercurrent of these marches, movements, and interference to choke freedoms of the 2A .....what sources they are rooted from .

What better way to try that control than infiltrating the teaching segments over time, guiding students who dont have a clue.

I surely would not want anyone dictating to me what I am "allowed" to own , no matter what the type , or what accessory I would choose in its decor smile

In a home invasion or any circumstance, would that restrictive mindset make effort to assist me then ?

Or would'nt they rather feel relief that my legal Mossburg pump , .45 ACP , or any other firearm of my choosing would suffice in day or night , tipping the scales in my favour ? If tables were turned and it was themselves or someone beloved to them, would'nt they feel the same relief ?

Or if I choose to hunt with any of the same , or something else? Or simply having fun with clays or targets ?

Once one type firearm is restricted , that surely will open more loopholes to do the same with others .

There isnt any sort of assistance in many rural areas when dire circumstances arise.....the west here especially . Half the time cell service isnt working due to sheer ruggedness of the mountains . In five minutes a lot- too much can transpire . Anyone in such vast territory where help isnt a phone call away , needs to be a doer in decisiveness using whatever they desire .

Aside from that , in any circumstance , not just for reason of the aforementioned , the 2A alone is reason enough for anywhere .

"The second Amendment doesn't give us anything ! It prohibits government from infringing an inherent, unalienable, God-given right.

As I mentioned above....go read Scalia." ..... Succinctly , clearly stated !

At any rate, the undercurrent of all this is not with the "protection of the individual" in mind.....but control of the collective .

Re: Today’s youth and the 2nd amendment [Re: Pressure9pa] #6298598
08/10/18 11:48 AM
08/10/18 11:48 AM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Think there's a connection between the students in the survey and the teachers comments?

There otta be a law!

Re: Today’s youth and the 2nd amendment [Re: Pressure9pa] #6298609
08/10/18 12:17 PM
08/10/18 12:17 PM
Ky
W
WHSKR Offline
trapper
WHSKR  Offline
trapper
W

Ky
Herd mentality ; herd em all in one direction slowly over time. Now they are all in one field incapable or unaware of knowing how they got there.

Re: Today’s youth and the 2nd amendment [Re: Pressure9pa] #6298627
08/10/18 12:47 PM
08/10/18 12:47 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

"The second Amendment doesn't give us anything ! It prohibits government from infringing an inherent, unalienable, God-given right". (white17)

Exactly!

How many teachers (let alone young folks) know that the philosophy the founding fathers had when drafting the Bill of Rights is that our rights come from God. It doesn't really matter if you believe in God or not, the philosophy still holds that our rights are not granted to us by the government or anyone else. Therefore, no one can take away our rights.

I doubt that any other Country on earth holds that position (please correct me if I'm wrong).

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Today’s youth and the 2nd amendment [Re: Pressure9pa] #6298634
08/10/18 01:07 PM
08/10/18 01:07 PM
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Anyone who says that our Constitution is a "living breathing document" really means that they want to edit or delete something from it. Be very suspicious of these people's motives.

Of course our Bill of Rights can be expanded, and it has been several times by adding newly recognized Rights. Sometimes I don't agree with some of the new Rights (or SCOTUS decisions that expand certain Rights) but I have to accept them.

What we have to be careful of are Constitutional amendments that would restrict our actions or expressions; such as, prohibition (alcohol), flag burning, etc., even if we believe that something like flag burning is reprehensible we shouldn't be creating laws that prevent expression of something we dislike.

Last edited by waggler; 08/10/18 10:59 PM. Reason: spelling

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Today’s youth and the 2nd amendment [Re: Pressure9pa] #6298910
08/10/18 10:08 PM
08/10/18 10:08 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Online content
trapper
Steven 49er  Online Content
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
For the life of me I can not fathom how the left believes that in the bill of rights, of which there are ten, 9 of them pertain to individual liberties and the other is for a "militia".

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread