No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#6298392 - 08/10/18 02:51 AM Someone's Always Got to Ruin it for me
GordenHere Offline
trapper

Loc: WI,USA
Anyone ever have this issue? I'm upgrading and expanding my current supply of traps. I look at all the options available, quality, price, etc. My final test is the reviews. I read and everyone gives outstanding reviews except for the one guy who writes about the worst trap ever made. I think to myself, "there has to be something to this". I then have enough doubt to cause me to not be interested in that trap brand anymore. I know that there is no such thing as "the perfect trap", but I am looking for something that has good reviews or even decent reviews so that I don't question my preliminary choice and start the looking process all over again.

#6298421 - 08/10/18 05:12 AM Re: Someone's Always Got to Ruin it for me [Re: GordenHere]
micheal Offline
trapper

Loc: Saginaw, Mi
Not everybody agrees with everybodys opinion

#6298424 - 08/10/18 05:26 AM Re: Someone's Always Got to Ruin it for me [Re: GordenHere]
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"

Loc: potter co. p.a.
believe your eyes and not your ears.i usually could care less what someone else thinks.

#6298428 - 08/10/18 05:36 AM Re: Someone's Always Got to Ruin it for me [Re: GordenHere]
trapdog1 Offline
trapper

Loc: Iowa
Pick a brand that YOU think is best and go with it. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the stuff made today.

#6298435 - 08/10/18 05:48 AM Re: Someone's Always Got to Ruin it for me [Re: GordenHere]
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Loc: Eastern Shore of Maryland
That one guy may not have much experience OR he is a "know it all" and the trap is a little different than he is used to so he had a mishap.

-Goofy-

#6298439 - 08/10/18 05:54 AM Re: Someone's Always Got to Ruin it for me [Re: GordenHere]
Claypool313 Offline
trapper

Loc: Pennsylvania
Go with Olympic judging when looking at reviews. Throw out the highest and the lowest. I also disregard any out of the box reviews. I want honest opinions from folks who actually used the products.

#6298456 - 08/10/18 06:28 AM Re: Someone's Always Got to Ruin it for me [Re: Claypool313]
Lugnut Offline
trapper

Loc: SEPA
Originally Posted By: Claypool313
Go with Olympic judging when looking at reviews. Throw out the highest and the lowest. I also disregard any out of the box reviews. I want honest opinions from folks who actually used the products.

I use reviews when deciding on some purchases. There's always going to be a few disgruntled crackpots that give a good product a terrible review for no good reason. Likewise there's always going to be those who give glowing reviews to a product right out of the box simply because they spent their money on it.

After reading many reviews, these folks are not hard to spot.

The quoted advice is spot on.

#6298464 - 08/10/18 06:43 AM Re: Someone's Always Got to Ruin it for me [Re: GordenHere]
Muskrat Offline
trapper

Loc: Southwestern Wisconsin
My final test is to order one each of the candidate traps and compare them in hand. Play with 'em for several days before making the decision to buy dozens of 'em.

We can hoop your beaver mountain man style!

http://www.riverinefurtraders.com/hoop%20your%20pelt/index_hoop_your_pelt.html

#6298465 - 08/10/18 06:50 AM Re: Someone's Always Got to Ruin it for me [Re: GordenHere]
EdP Offline
trapper

Loc: meadowview, Virginia
When considering a product I like to look at the Amazon reviews. They show positive and negative and I look for repetitive complaints on the same issue, not just one disgruntled buyer. Some reviews I ignore totally. For example, when looking at hiking boots that will be reliable for backcountry backpacking and a guy says "I just got these yesterday and the leather smells great. They don't have a scratch on them and the rubber is shiny. I haven't put them on yet but I'm sure I'm going to love them." That gets tossed as does the review by a construction worker that uses them for work. Just not applicable. On the other hand, when several folks say the top hooks broke in the first month of use, the boot gets the boot.

#6298526 - 08/10/18 08:32 AM Re: Someone's Always Got to Ruin it for me [Re: GordenHere]
Ave Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio, USA
I’ve seen traps rated at one star and called “ terrible” because the traps were too hard to set by hand lol.

#6298533 - 08/10/18 08:40 AM Re: Someone's Always Got to Ruin it for me [Re: EdP]
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"

Loc: McGrath, AK
Originally Posted By: EdP
When considering a product I like to look at the Amazon reviews. They show positive and negative and I look for repetitive complaints on the same issue, not just one disgruntled buyer. Some reviews I ignore totally. For example, when looking at hiking boots that will be reliable for backcountry backpacking and a guy says "I just got these yesterday and the leather smells great. They don't have a scratch on them and the rubber is shiny. I haven't put them on yet but I'm sure I'm going to love them." That gets tossed as does the review by a construction worker that uses them for work. Just not applicable. On the other hand, when several folks say the top hooks broke in the first month of use, the boot gets the boot.

I too look for repeated complaints about the same thing.

One word of caution.......Amazon is now using bots to write reviews when they don't have enough from real people. They say it increases sales . Are we surprised ?

#6298535 - 08/10/18 08:43 AM Re: Someone's Always Got to Ruin it for me [Re: GordenHere]
Law Dog Offline
trapper

Loc: Central, SD
I have bought and sold sooooooo many traps, I tried this or that and found good and bad in most of them worked my way up to MJs for yotes best trap going IMO for my needs and soil and for risky areas I use 1.75 Sleepy Creek O/S.

Been running that set up for many years now. Unless your a trust fund kid starting out with MJs would be tough so if a guy buys and sells right as the goes you can work your way to better and better over time. I'd keep an eye on what selling quickly in the Shed and buy quality traps as cheap just gets cheaper.

Always going to be guys that will tell you your wrong and then repeat back to you what you just said in another way like it was their idea. LOL It's like putting together a tool box take what you like from different people and make your own one.

Jerry Herbst

#6298538 - 08/10/18 08:54 AM Re: Someone's Always Got to Ruin it for me [Re: GordenHere]
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper

Loc: Green County Wisconsin
I look at the detail put into a review , if they outlined an issue in great detail then I give it merit. if they just popped in and hated on something with no detail , then they are usually just a hater.

you have to remember there is a % of the population that can just never be happy and they delight in making others as unhappy as they are.

#6298539 - 08/10/18 08:59 AM Re: Someone's Always Got to Ruin it for me [Re: Muskrat]
Drifter Offline

Loc: Oakland, MS
Originally Posted By: Muskrat
My final test is to order one each of the candidate traps and compare them in hand. Play with 'em for several days before making the decision to buy dozens of 'em.

Agree and use them for a season as well.
“Still, if you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than live as slaves. ” – Winston Churchill

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .

#6298547 - 08/10/18 09:26 AM Re: Someone's Always Got to Ruin it for me [Re: GordenHere]
330-Trapper Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Don't look at trap reviews...look at the traps you're interested in in person.Trap Reviews are like asking which truck is the best on a 4x4 forum. Hahaha!

#6298552 - 08/10/18 09:29 AM Re: Someone's Always Got to Ruin it for me [Re: GordenHere]
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"

Loc: potter co. p.a.
put one in my hand for 10 min and i'll tell all i need to know,til a week later when my needs change. grin

#6298569 - 08/10/18 09:54 AM Re: Someone's Always Got to Ruin it for me [Re: Muskrat]
ratbrain Offline
trapper

Loc: Illinois
Originally Posted By: Muskrat

Great advice here. I have done this a few times when pondering a trap I am unfamiliar with.

#6298582 - 08/10/18 10:20 AM Re: Someone's Always Got to Ruin it for me [Re: GordenHere]
Meathunter1978 Offline
trapper

Loc: Roanoke, VA
Well I read some reviews on the new Duke #2's. But I needed to see for myself. So last year I bought 2 of them. Let's put it this way, my Bday was last Saturday and guess what I got from my wife 6 more. That's what I asked for. The dogs get bent but after season I'll change them. By the way these are the 4 coil offset. Love them.

#6298587 - 08/10/18 10:26 AM Re: Someone's Always Got to Ruin it for me [Re: GordenHere]
newhouse114 Offline
trapper

Loc: S.W.Oregon
Can't go wrong with 100 year old Newhouse! But if you could afford those you could retire somewhere pleasant and never work again!

http://alaskastoneanivory.com/index

#6298652 - 08/10/18 12:23 PM Re: Someone's Always Got to Ruin it for me [Re: GordenHere]
NEYotetrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: NE
Unless a product has nothing but negative reviews I personally would put little faith in them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >