No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Revolver or semi-automatic for home defense [Re: Zim] #6298223
08/09/18 09:04 PM
08/09/18 09:04 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Originally Posted By: Zim
Originally Posted By: The Beav
Wow you guys must live In some bad areas.

I don't lock the doors and I don't have a loaded gun In the house. But I do have a few Marine corps emblems on my windows. And a laser cut 12" Eagle Globe and Anchor on my fur shed door. Never had a sleepless night yet. Or a break In.
But If I were to need a home defense weapon It would be a sawed off 12 gauge.

Folks know that you have been known to shoot through a critter, your fur shed, picture window and bedroom all at once. That is why they stay shy of ya.

Zim

grin

Re: Revolver or semi-automatic for home defense [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6298254
08/09/18 09:38 PM
08/09/18 09:38 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE
if you get any benefit from a shotgun it is power and your familiarity with it.

many of you have held a shotgun since you were years from your first shave you are familiar with bringing it to your shoulder looking down your barrel and firing on game and target , you likely have thousands of rounds and it is likely the only thing you ever shot at a moving target.

at 20 feet your likely to have a pattern no larger than your closed fist

but the real answer is everyone should try several and test your ability with them in the best test scenario you can build with your available range.

maybe take some classes in defensive pistol , carbine and shotgun

put in the time getting familiar and you can decide for yourself.

far to often people look at something from only one angle they say what is the best lets say trap rather than gun

what is the best trap, I think you can all agree it depends what your trying to catch

maybe not the best example but

say all you know is that you have to catch it tonight your mother called something is getting into her hen house and you have to do it tonight and she provided almost no detail on what or how just get over there now and it is an hour to sun down and a 20 minute drive.

probably not to many blindly answer that question a duke 1 1/2 without asking any other question.

If I couldn't ask any questions , I would say whatever you have ready to go right now and get them in the ground.

this isn't the time to try a brand new trap it is the time to go with what you are most familiar with.

like I said maybe not the best example but it changes your thinking a little bit.

In reference to the bold above: I have been through a couple of classes at Gunsite Academy in AZ. I highly recommend these classes. Their simulators and one on one instruction is eye-opening and life-changing. If you can find a way to afford it, it is the best training available ...IMO

Mean As Nails
Re: Revolver or semi-automatic for home defense [Re: KeithC] #6298681
08/10/18 02:42 PM
08/10/18 02:42 PM
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

PA
Originally Posted By: KeithC
A 12 gauge shot gun with bird shot is safer to use inside your home, for self defense, if you have family members in other rooms. You are less likely to shoot through the walls and have collateral damage.

It's also easier to hit your target in low light, high stress situations, with a shotgun, with a decent spread.

Keith

Exactly!

Re: Revolver or semi-automatic for home defense [Re: gryhkl] #6298690
08/10/18 03:06 PM
08/10/18 03:06 PM
Minnesota
4zebra61 Offline
trapper
4zebra61  Offline
trapper

Minnesota
^^^^^^^^^

MTA member
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Winchester Arms Collector’s Assn.
Re: Revolver or semi-automatic for home defense [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6298705
08/10/18 03:55 PM
08/10/18 03:55 PM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
A shotgun has a low capacity compared to most any full size semi-auto, about the same as a revolver. Most homes wont have a straight shot of 20 feet, usually a lot less. Any size shot at that distance will be traveling in a pattern about the size of a fist. 4" across maybe. Bigger than a bullet, sure, but certainly not a "don't have to aim" pattern size. Also, shot that tight almost acts as a slug, and not individual pellets. Many tests have proven that .223 penetrates less than most pistol bullets, but a rifle/carbine has the same issue as a shotgun, which is size and two hands of operation. For me, a semi-auto is the way to go. What works for you is what works for you, but be realistic about what it's going to do. Shoot it at realistic distances, see what it does. Practice moving through your home with it, both strong hand, weak hand, one hand, and two hands. Try shooting it in the dark.

Re: Revolver or semi-automatic for home defense [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6298765
08/10/18 05:59 PM
08/10/18 05:59 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Still waiting on the AR guys to chime in . You know the ones that say they "need " them to defend their homes... lol

Re: Revolver or semi-automatic for home defense [Re: jbyrd63] #6298768
08/10/18 06:04 PM
08/10/18 06:04 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted By: jbyrd63
LOL you need to remember , shot off a 12 gauge inside and see what happens. I have never shot anyone but I did shoot a fox in my back yard one time by just cracking the door and not getting the muzzle all the way out of the door. OH NO!!!!!!! MY WIFE screamed from the other end of the house. Dry wall dust fell off the ceiling. The windows rattled and I'm surprised they didn't bust out. LOL Couldn't hear a sound for about 4 hrs.

As for guns got my wife a 380 revolver double action. Point and pull. Low recoil. Idiot proof..............

Yep shot a starling off my bluebird house the same way. My wife didn't speak to me for 2 days. Or I don't think she did I could not hear.

Re: Revolver or semi-automatic for home defense [Re: jbyrd63] #6298776
08/10/18 06:12 PM
08/10/18 06:12 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
That's what .22's are for.