No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A Question For The Trapping Fathers Of Kids With.. #6298938
08/10/18 10:57 PM
08/10/18 10:57 PM
Saskatoon,Saskatchewan
YOTEBOY Offline OP
trapper
YOTEBOY  Offline OP
trapper

Saskatoon,Saskatchewan
A Question For The trapping fathers of kids with disabilities. My foster son is 2 1/2 and has FASD. He’s always moving and while he is a good listener and only 2 1/2 I want to bring him along in the future. So I’m wondering how to start planning on getting him involved. I know there’s dad’s with kids that have it worse than FASD and some that have it better. But regardless how’d you do things and what advice can you pass along

Re: A Question For The Trapping Fathers Of Kids With.. [Re: YOTEBOY] #6298988
08/11/18 12:39 AM
08/11/18 12:39 AM
Lakeland,Minnesota
B
Bogmaster Offline
trapper
Bogmaster  Offline
trapper
B

Lakeland,Minnesota
Please excuse my ignorance,but what is FASD ?
Tom

If my feet aren't wet,I must not be trapping.
Tom Olson
MTA life member#100,also WTA life member
Re: A Question For The Trapping Fathers Of Kids With.. [Re: YOTEBOY] #6298991
08/11/18 12:52 AM
08/11/18 12:52 AM
Michigan
D
Ditchdiver Offline
trapper
Ditchdiver  Offline
trapper
D

Michigan
I think it's Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.

When life gets me down..... you know hunting/trapping season is closed.
Re: A Question For The Trapping Fathers Of Kids With.. [Re: YOTEBOY] #6298992
08/11/18 12:56 AM
08/11/18 12:56 AM
Michigan
D
Ditchdiver Offline
trapper
Ditchdiver  Offline
trapper
D

Michigan
My best advice is- teach as much as you can, stay patient, and bring snacks and something for him to do when he loses interest. If he doesn't take to trapping now, maybe he will in the future. KEEP IT FUN! And most importantly- enjoy the time with your son.

When life gets me down..... you know hunting/trapping season is closed.
Re: A Question For The Trapping Fathers Of Kids With.. [Re: Ditchdiver] #6298995
08/11/18 01:15 AM
08/11/18 01:15 AM
Morgantown, WV
D
Dfabs Offline
trapper
Dfabs  Offline
trapper
D

Morgantown, WV
Yoteboy, I have a 12 year old son who is in his 10th year of remission. He had a brain tumor when he was 9 months old, and another one 13 months after that. His disabilities are all physical, and balance is the one that he has the most trouble with. He has been trapping with me for several years now, and some years he shows a ton of interest, and some years not so much. Last season was the coldest one I can ever remember, and he didn’t do much trapping with me because of that. The biggest thing is to keep them comfortable. I have been doing a lot of my easy to check water trapping when he is with me because I can usually save a few easy rats or a beaver every now and then for the days when he is with me. I will let him set a homerun beaver trap on Friday night and usually he at least has a beaver on Saturday morning to add to a few rats and whatever we catch on the canine line. I have been setting a few lines close to home too, and I will check all of my other traps, and save the close ones for when he gets off school in the evenings. Also, it helps if you can use an ATV or a UTV to check with because they usually at least like to go for a ride whether you catch anything or not. Just remember, be patient because they can sense your frustration at times and they don’t want to feel like an inconvenience. Also, remember, God doesn’t give us any more than we can handle...he only gives kids with disabilities to the tough ones. You must be one of the tough ones, and good on you for making a kids day brighter.

Re: A Question For The Trapping Fathers Of Kids With.. [Re: YOTEBOY] #6299075
08/11/18 07:53 AM
08/11/18 07:53 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
My son has Asperges he is hit or miss some years. I find when the boys and I are heading out for wildlife calls and messing around with traps, he is more inclined to be interested in helping and coming along, rather than telling him or just bringing him along for calls. There have been times when we've went out into the woods to set a few raccoon traps and he was all for it. Once we got there he would just sit on the ground and start to identify different types of rocks and bugs or try to take apart cage traps and reassemble/repair them. Which he can do and is very good at it. Patience is key, but realize sometimes it may not happen. Enjoy the time he does give you. Good Luck

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: A Question For The Trapping Fathers Of Kids With.. [Re: YOTEBOY] #6299132
08/11/18 09:43 AM
08/11/18 09:43 AM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
One word of caution, disability or not be sure your method of dispatch is spot on ! ! !

Re: A Question For The Trapping Fathers Of Kids With.. [Re: YOTEBOY] #6299146
08/11/18 10:05 AM
08/11/18 10:05 AM
PA
R
RKG Offline
trapper
RKG  Offline
trapper
R

PA
My son was born with Spina Bifida. He's paralyzed from the waist down. From the waist up- I'll put that kid up against anyone in anything. He's currently 20 years old and starting his junior year in college. He has always be active in hunting/trapping/fishing/sports/whatever he could find an opportunity to do.

THAT is the key- opportunity to do. We had to modify some things for him to do, other things he had to modify himself to do. If he took a liking to something, he found a way to do it.

I got into trapping again in my old age, because my son wanted to try it. All I could think about was how bad he was going to fail- since he has to crawl to make a set, he can't keep his scent profile away from anything- he's limited on where he can get to- what is he going to do when he catches something and has to deal with it?

Yep, they weren't his disabilities- they were mine. Won't forget the first day he came home with his first coon, or his first grey, or his first red.... and oh how he loves removing egg eating grinners! That kid can skin and flesh better than most I've seen in person or on video.

Key is: find something they like to do, and let them do it. Don't define success for them. Let them teach you what success is.

For every individual, the game is different, and the way you go about it is unique. You have to find your own sweet spot. Keep it fun. Don't let discouragement rule the day. Find what he likes to do, and give him every opportunity to find his way to his success.

I wish you the best of luck

First fox January 22, 2015

Re: A Question For The Trapping Fathers Of Kids With.. [Re: YOTEBOY] #6299148
08/11/18 10:07 AM
08/11/18 10:07 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Online content
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Online Content
Y

Marion Kansas
One of my boys has a kind of Muscular dystrophy. Hes in a wheelchair but we find a way to make it possible for him do what ever it is we are doing. If there's a will there's a way. I got him a small four wheeler and bought a side by side so he can get where ever we go and can be right there beside us in the process. We have to adapt things to his needs a little bit sometimes and realize it's about time with them that's the goal. Give them praise for the little things they do. That's what kids desire. Not sure if my boys will trap on their own when they get older but I know we have made a lot of memories and had a lot of good conversations and laughs while we have been trapping. Find out what parts of the trapping they like and let them do that part as much as you can. Hards part for me was to slow down when they are with me. I'm kind of a pusher when I'm trapping or hunting. You can't hunt or trap they same when they are with you so just remember they when you take them out into the field with you. God has been good and made a way for us.

Last edited by Yes sir; 08/11/18 10:10 AM.
Re: A Question For The Trapping Fathers Of Kids With.. [Re: YOTEBOY] #6299153
08/11/18 10:18 AM
08/11/18 10:18 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Online content
Yes sir  Online Content
Y

Marion Kansas
RKG
My boy has Spinal Muscular Dystrophy very similar spinal Bifida. It's encouraging to hear the success he's having at trapping.

Re: A Question For The Trapping Fathers Of Kids With.. [Re: YOTEBOY] #6299154
08/11/18 10:19 AM
08/11/18 10:19 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Had a young partner that ran with me for a few years until he got to where his mobility was lost just take into consideration he/she is what matters and you need to adjust to his/her needs. Yes they will slow you down expect it and prepare for it.

I set him up with cages but he wanted to use coils (Stubborn little bugger! LOL) so I sent him a pair of the one had setters. He is from WI and runs with my buddie now as his health could go South at anytime and he has care in place there.

I set heavy a few days before he got here to run traps! The next year I waited 3 weeks to start and my buddie decided for me it was going to be too much for me! Let's say he got a ear full for making that call without letting me know!

Last edited by Law Dog; 08/11/18 11:09 AM.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: A Question For The Trapping Fathers Of Kids With.. [Re: YOTEBOY] #6299197
08/11/18 11:21 AM
08/11/18 11:21 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
that's is awesome guys to help anyone get in the outdoors an enjoy it smile

Re: A Question For The Trapping Fathers Of Kids With.. [Re: YOTEBOY] #6299232
08/11/18 12:23 PM
08/11/18 12:23 PM
Saskatoon,Saskatchewan
YOTEBOY Offline OP
trapper
YOTEBOY  Offline OP
trapper

Saskatoon,Saskatchewan
Wow all your stories are so inspiring! Thanks for the replies. Please , if possible , keep me informed on your upcoming seasons. I’d like to see how things go for you guys & your kids.

Re: A Question For The Trapping Fathers Of Kids With.. [Re: YOTEBOY] #6299237
08/11/18 12:35 PM
08/11/18 12:35 PM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Offline
trapper
Moosetrot  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
I worked with kids with disabilities for 37 years, and have to say that everything on here is spot on. Make sure they are comfortable and be willing to adjust your time in the field to match with their personal limits. Don't fall into the trap of the old "Ah, he's just a kid and this'll do." mentality when setting them up with boots and other gear. They need good stuff that really fits them to keep them comfortable.

I also have to say, after reading these replies, that I am proud to be associated with such a fine group of parents and mentors that have taken the time and effort to get kids into the outdoors. Keep it up, folks, and show them how good life can be!

Moosetrot

Re: A Question For The Trapping Fathers Of Kids With.. [Re: YOTEBOY] #6299282
08/11/18 01:46 PM
08/11/18 01:46 PM
PA
R
RKG Offline
trapper
RKG  Offline
trapper
R

PA
About 10 years ago, we were asked to take over the local Challengers Little League team. Challengers is for kids with any type of disability, and the rules are set for participation, not for competition. (No strikeouts/walks, every batter hits every inning, companion fielders/baserunners as needed, etc).

The local team was struggling- kids were frustrated, coaches were trying but not making much progress.

My first call was to my father, now approaching his 70th birthday. In his hey day, he was a top fastpitch softball pitcher. He beat the King and His Court (in their prime), he has a wall full of MVP trophies- he is a legend in the region he used to play.

I said, "Dad, I need you to pitch one more year." He laughed. Then I explained the team and league, and he agreed. "But", I said, "There's one thing. Instead of making the batters miss the ball, I need you to hit the bat."

See, a lot of these kids were severely involved. Eye/hand coordination was not good. For some, the bat was too much for them to swing very well.

Dad agreed. First practice, he stepped on the mound, and told each batter to take a few practice swings. Within 1 or 2 pitches, Dad timed and hit the bat almost perfectly. No mater the bat speed or swing plane, he found the sweet spot.

During games, other coaches commented on how well our team batted. No one used the T stand, and everyone got a hit within a few pitches. Kids were bragging about how hard they were hitting the balls and hoping in the future for extra base hits.

Dad never said a word. He walked off the field and let everyone have their moment in the sun. You ask him about his pitching days, and he'll start right off with 'when he pitched for the Challengers team'.

Sometimes we need to see life through a different lens. Sometimes we need to evaluate success in different terms. Sometimes, we need some special kids to teach us what's important in life.

(Sorry can't get the picture to orient properly. You get the idea.)

Last edited by RKG; 08/11/18 01:56 PM.
Re: A Question For The Trapping Fathers Of Kids With.. [Re: YOTEBOY] #6299588
08/11/18 11:04 PM
08/11/18 11:04 PM
fayette,al.
G
grisseldog Offline
trapper
grisseldog  Offline
trapper
G

fayette,al.
Great stories guys, proud of each one of you..

Re: A Question For The Trapping Fathers Of Kids With.. [Re: YOTEBOY] #6299604
08/11/18 11:21 PM
08/11/18 11:21 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: A Question For The Trapping Fathers Of Kids With.. [Re: YOTEBOY] #6300033
08/12/18 03:58 PM
08/12/18 03:58 PM
PA
R
RKG Offline
trapper
RKG  Offline
trapper
R

PA
Thank you sir!

Re: A Question For The Trapping Fathers Of Kids With.. [Re: YOTEBOY] #6300179
08/12/18 07:15 PM
08/12/18 07:15 PM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline
trapper
W

PA
Many of you mentioned how well kids did even while dealing with various problems .They know they might have some limitations .But most of them can do OK with a little help and encouragement from adults .Several of you offered your experiences working with youngsters with medical issues .My guess is that all of you are getting more back for those efforts that you ever thought you would . I would just add that it is not always just kids that can use a little bit of added attention from some one willing to help out .Some older people develop medical issues as they age and can no longer get out on their own . I know from first hand experience that offering them a chance to ride along and share a little of your own trap line with them goes a long way towards making their day a little bit brighter .Thank all of you for sharing your knowledge of how you deal with your situation and even more important Thanks to all that are helping to share the world of trapping with others less fortunate them you

Re: A Question For The Trapping Fathers Of Kids With.. [Re: RKG] #6300229
08/12/18 08:24 PM
08/12/18 08:24 PM
Pa.
B
Bigbrownie Offline
trapper
Bigbrownie  Offline
trapper
B

Pa.
Originally Posted By: RKG
My son was born with Spina Bifida. He's paralyzed from the waist down. From the waist up- I'll put that kid up against anyone in anything. He's currently 20 years old and starting his junior year in college. He has always be active in hunting/trapping/fishing/sports/whatever he could find an opportunity to do.

THAT is the key- opportunity to do. We had to modify some things for him to do, other things he had to modify himself to do. If he took a liking to something, he found a way to do it.

I got into trapping again in my old age, because my son wanted to try it. All I could think about was how bad he was going to fail- since he has to crawl to make a set, he can't keep his scent profile away from anything- he's limited on where he can get to- what is he going to do when he catches something and has to deal with it?

Yep, they weren't his disabilities- they were mine. Won't forget the first day he came home with his first coon, or his first grey, or his first red.... and oh how he loves removing egg eating grinners! That kid can skin and flesh better than most I've seen in person or on video.

Key is: find something they like to do, and let them do it. Don't define success for them. Let them teach you what success is.

For every individual, the game is different, and the way you go about it is unique. You have to find your own sweet spot. Keep it fun. Don't let discouragement rule the day. Find what he likes to do, and give him every opportunity to find his way to his success.

I wish you the best of luck

First fox January 22, 2015
My oldest grandson in 4, he was also born with spina bifida. You offer great encouragement to others. Thanks for posting.

Last edited by Bigbrownie; 08/12/18 08:28 PM. Reason: Spelling
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread