No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Reconditioning old leather #6299364
08/11/18 04:41 PM
08/11/18 04:41 PM
Idaho, Lemhi County
G
Gulo Offline OP
"On The Other Hand"
Gulo  Offline OP
"On The Other Hand"
G

Idaho, Lemhi County
T-Men and women. I've got no saddle soap on hand, and am trying to recondition old leather (scabbards, knife sheaths, holsters) that is dirty, scuffed, and dry. Got any ideas? I'd just as soon not go into town (I've already been there this month) to buy anything fancy. Many thanks...

Jack

Re: Reconditioning old leather [Re: Gulo] #6299367
08/11/18 04:49 PM
08/11/18 04:49 PM
Iowa
C
coydog2 Offline
trapper
coydog2  Offline
trapper
C

Iowa
You have any Neatsfoot oil? if so that will work

Life member of DAV,NTA,NRA,ITA.Also member of FTA,CBA
Re: Reconditioning old leather [Re: Gulo] #6299369
08/11/18 04:52 PM
08/11/18 04:52 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
I bought some WW2 French rifle slings at a gun show, that the leather was cracking, brushed on some neatsfoot oil and let them set for a long time and they are good now. Have been using them for years.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Reconditioning old leather [Re: Gulo] #6299370
08/11/18 04:53 PM
08/11/18 04:53 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
neets foot oil

mink oil

deer tallow and bees wax

lanolin and bees wax

with these I would use a damp rag to clean then apply the oil or oil wax combo

lanolin oil diluted in 91 or greater % rubbing alcohol about 1 part oil to 5 parts alcohol

muzzle loading patch lube like bore butter or wonderlube both are actually bee's wax and olive oil with a bit of mint extract so you don't notice if it goes rancid

I suppose just olive oil would work maybe best cut with something like rubbing alcohol

the issue would be the items going rancid , bees wax seems to help keep the oils form going rancid as well as

the commercial options like saddle soap have a mild detergent and lanolin and probably something to keep it stable.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Reconditioning old leather [Re: Gulo] #6299379
08/11/18 05:09 PM
08/11/18 05:09 PM
SD
Boone Liane Offline
trapper
Boone Liane  Offline
trapper

SD
I wouldn’t use mink oil if they’re stitched with cotton thread.

I’ve switched from neatsfoot to olive oil on my saddles. Doesn’t seem to attract dust like neatsfoot does.

Re: Reconditioning old leather [Re: Gulo] #6299380
08/11/18 05:17 PM
08/11/18 05:17 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Glycerine will work.Got some in your lure shed?

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Reconditioning old leather [Re: Gulo] #6299391
08/11/18 05:46 PM
08/11/18 05:46 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
PING !

Jack !!

Out of the depths - big howdy to you , my southern neighbor !

As one who has had my share of leather experience since I could hold a pencil and ride ....Ill offer my 2 amidst these very good comments as well.

As to cleaning.... used to take time and rub the heck out of riding gear that was dirty with whatever saddle soap ....until I palled up with a some gals barrel racing, and met their father who was master in saddlery and maintenance . He it was that gave me the best advice that was efficient, sure to work, and didn't take all my time to get dirt and sweat off leather.

"Take your saddle outside on a warm day, put on a sawhorse, turn on the hose slow run, wet that thing down from top to bottom- underneath too- taking care to not soak the shearling padding. With a rag or soft brush ( for the very dirty parts ) mix some Dawn in water, and simply scrub it all down . If its cold out we do all our gear in the bathtub ! Rinse well , prop up in well ventilated place- outside in the shade if in summer. ...and the best-it only takes a fraction of the time, rather than traditional saddle soaping. ..."

I was dumfounded- all my life I had it in my head to only use soaps for saddles- like waxy shoe polish rubbed in to clean. But for very dirty stuff that never worked like I wanted...and it took lots of time. Seeing my shocked face smile he smiled and asked- well think- don't the cows get it wet all the time when they're wearing it ? It will be fine.....just make sure to then treat it with good oil after it is dry....polish if you want- and its good as new....Seeing the family's gear in the show arena I could attest to his advice....

What a revelation for me ! Well I tried that and my whole life in cleaning soiled/sweaty leather changed ... this is for smooth leather, now.

On one hand, as to conditioning, yes theres great saddle oils out there and the above comments have some great thoughts too. I love bees wax for soaking into pores...

On the other hand, smile there are home items that will work well.

If you were in the south with lots of bugs to deal with, using any oil that is veggie based will attract bugs that will chew the blazes out of the stitching all along the leather.....they love the veggie based oil .

Since you are not in that habitat , olive , flaxseed, or any of those will suffice fine. I do like flaxseed because it has a thinner base and wants to soak in faster rather than pool up and need more rubbing or wiping off after every coat application.

Coconut oil works fine too but it is really thick- needs to be warm enough to melt then rubbed in well. Only thing about that is it leaves a white film residue on any parts it gets on that is non leather. Doesn't hurt it, just the look.

Petroleum Jelly, Vaseline, also works if you have only that.

What I love, ideally, hands down, after the washed leather is dry and slightly warm, is Fiebing's saddle oil . It comes in one gallon and I think smaller containers. Its a mix of pure lanolin and silicone . Lanolin is among the best oils for everything there is- including dry hands and arms. With a rag I coat the leather well with that, smooth side AND underneath, all the way up into the ties, leather lashing onto the tree, everything but onto the shearling base. Its astounding how fast you see the leather drinking it up right before your eyes. Wipe off any pooling up and let cure for a while- then repeat. Some leather may need three or four coats with wiping before its done.

There are outer coatings, like Saddle Lac that is sprayed on afterward to put a high sheen and is waterproof on top, if one has the mind to do so. Lasts a decent time until it wears off.

Nothing prettier in leathers to me than a saddle all cleaned and soft in sheen, sitting on a stand in the house - for western decor as well as usefulness - like a beauty of a rifle. Smells wonderful, too. smile

Well there you have it , sir Jack !

Smile as you see your leather come alive right before your eyes......restoring leather to me is like cleaning my guns.....a sort of calm therapy with gorgeous results.

Just tell those longhorn beetles to stay off the turf ! smile

Life is good.

See you on the surface ....

Re: Reconditioning old leather [Re: Gulo] #6299392
08/11/18 05:47 PM
08/11/18 05:47 PM
tn
L
lestan101 Offline
trapper
lestan101  Offline
trapper
L

tn
Don't laugh till you have tried it--Tire foam.

Re: Reconditioning old leather [Re: Gulo] #6299430
08/11/18 06:55 PM
08/11/18 06:55 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
Another vote for neets foot oil. I have 50 year old leather that is still in great shape. Apply with a cloth or just soak in it. Will make your hands feel better also.

Re: Reconditioning old leather [Re: Gulo] #6299615
08/11/18 11:52 PM
08/11/18 11:52 PM
Arkansas
Jason Turner Offline
trapper
Jason Turner  Offline
trapper

Arkansas
If veggie tanned leather, I use canola oil.

Wildlife Removal, Etc.
Re: Reconditioning old leather [Re: Gulo] #6299729
08/12/18 08:31 AM
08/12/18 08:31 AM
SE Kansas
K
K52 Offline
trapper
K52  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kansas
Pecard's.

Re: Reconditioning old leather [Re: Gulo] #6299747
08/12/18 08:53 AM
08/12/18 08:53 AM
MT,Wy, ID,NV
H
hdwolfer Offline
trapper
hdwolfer  Offline
trapper
H

MT,Wy, ID,NV
This is the best I've found. Been working leather for 40 years now. Harness Honey. Just type it in and it'll pop up for you.
I have a full set of lite horse harness to work over in another year and that is what I'll be using to recondition it.

Re: Reconditioning old leather [Re: Gulo] #6299787
08/12/18 09:34 AM
08/12/18 09:34 AM
Idaho, Lemhi County
G
Gulo Offline OP
"On The Other Hand"
Gulo  Offline OP
"On The Other Hand"
G

Idaho, Lemhi County
Many thanks to all (especially Sharon) who threw the ideas my way. I actually found an old can of Hubbard's mink oil, and after soap and water, then drying, I used the old stand-by and am thinking the leather will be good for another several years. Again, many thanks all!

Jack

Re: Reconditioning old leather [Re: Boone Liane] #6299838
08/12/18 11:11 AM
08/12/18 11:11 AM
Nevada
N
nvwrangler Offline
trapper
nvwrangler  Offline
trapper
N

Nevada
Originally Posted By: Boone Liane
I wouldn’t use mink oil if they’re stitched with cotton thread.

I’ve switched from neatsfoot to olive oil on my saddles. Doesn’t seem to attract dust like neatsfoot does.

This is what to use

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread