No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What's a good style of martial arts to learn? #6301440
08/14/18 07:30 AM
08/14/18 07:30 AM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline OP
trapper
Kart29  Offline OP
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
My sons and I are wanting learn a martial art. We're pretty interested in learning Jiu Jitsu or may Krav Maga but can't seem to find any classes for that here locally. There's a Tae Kwon Do place nearby but I'm not so sure that's what we want to practice. Tae Kwon Do looks like more like a combination of dancing, gymnastics, and someday years down the road you learn how to kick a board in half. We want to learn how to fight right away.

What's a good martial art for a man to know?

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Re: What's a good style of martial arts to learn? [Re: Kart29] #6301449
08/14/18 07:38 AM
08/14/18 07:38 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
smith and wesson.

Re: What's a good style of martial arts to learn? [Re: Kart29] #6301457
08/14/18 07:45 AM
08/14/18 07:45 AM
S.W. Michigan
L
late bite Offline
trapper
late bite  Offline
trapper
L

S.W. Michigan
I did TKD out of high school and would encourage anyone to do the same, it teaches respect, very good self discipline & defense. Not all studios are the same so keep that in mind also.
Now that I am much older, my Glock is a better fit for me............ wink

Re: What's a good style of martial arts to learn? [Re: Kart29] #6301463
08/14/18 07:54 AM
08/14/18 07:54 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
i've dabbled in it along with boxing over the years and physically feel confident i could protect myself but in todays world if it is for self defense that and a 1.50 will get you a cup of coffee.if it's for discipline and learning the human body and its abilities it may be for ya's.

Re: What's a good style of martial arts to learn? [Re: Kart29] #6301475
08/14/18 08:06 AM
08/14/18 08:06 AM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
Origami is the most useful of them I was told.

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: What's a good style of martial arts to learn? [Re: Kart29] #6301480
08/14/18 08:09 AM
08/14/18 08:09 AM
NW Illinois
R
Raizmup Offline
trapper
Raizmup  Offline
trapper
R

NW Illinois
I did Krav Maga for 3 years. If you want to learn how to fight, and fight extremely effectively then I highly recommend it. It's no bs no rules straight up self defense.

Re: What's a good style of martial arts to learn? [Re: Kart29] #6301481
08/14/18 08:10 AM
08/14/18 08:10 AM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
Here are a few considerations:

The school, it's instructors and its focus is more important than the particular martial art. Is it a self defense school or a tournament fighting school? Many (but not all) of the TKD schools are focused on tournament fighting. I personally would avoid these because they are in it primarily for the money. All schools need to make some money but you really want a school run by someone that loves his art and loves teaching it to others. These schools often are in old run down buildings because the $ are not there for a fancy gym.

Martial arts are a perishable skill. Stop training and you will lose a lot of the capability you had.

Look for a mix of skills. Ballistic techniques (punches and kicks) are good for keeping someone off of you but many fights end up on the ground anyway. Its better not to end up there but if you do you need to have mastered some joint locks and throws in addition to the ballistic techniques. The Gracie Jiu Jitsu system has become very popular due to it's effectiveness in cage fighting. The system has absolutely earned its reputation for effectiveness in one on one situations between fighters in the same weight class. However, if you are on the ground dealing with one guy and he has a buddy, you could be more vulnerable than if on your feet. Due to the popularity of Jiu Jitsu some schools have incorporated ground fighting elements into what they teach.

Look around and visit the schools in your area. Talk with the instructors, observe a class and see what the students are doing. I trained and taught for a number of years. The school should send you home worn out after every class. If you don't train hard you are wasting your time and money. My motto for my more advanced students was "you should go home banged and bruised but never broken." If bones are getting broken safety is not a high enough priority. If you are not getting banged up some you are not training hard enough to be effective.

Re: What's a good style of martial arts to learn? [Re: Kart29] #6301508
08/14/18 08:28 AM
08/14/18 08:28 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Modern Shotokan and good basic close contact self defense training is extremely beneficial ground work for the average individual for life skills and self preservation skills if needed.

Retention of the basic self defense and disabling skills and techniques are priceless in a dire situation that may not give you any other choice for survival or for a potential escape option. Always exercise good sense first before any offensive or defensive measures. At times this is a split second reaction or decision that makes all the difference.

After my years of training I taught these classes for many years. These skills will not be forgotten once you practice them enough to develop muscle memory of their use and technique. Spontaneous is the word. These skills are not for show off or playing with others as to their function.

I highly recommend the close encounter self defense training, leverage techniques and learning of the bodies pressure and nerve points as they are extremely effective when used by a trained individual. Some of these techniques can be deadly with enough force or they may cause great injury, blindness and debilitation to certain parts of the body.

If you train and learn well a skilled instructor can save a life for someone many years down the road if and when such a random encounter does occur and you are not armed with a firearm.

Re: What's a good style of martial arts to learn? [Re: Kart29] #6301513
08/14/18 08:29 AM
08/14/18 08:29 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
avoid risky situations, keep a little cash in one pocket and a gun in another one. a box of matches and a pocket knife. should be able to handle most any emergency

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: What's a good style of martial arts to learn? [Re: Raizmup] #6301519
08/14/18 08:39 AM
08/14/18 08:39 AM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: Raizmup
I did Krav Maga for 3 years. If you want to learn how to fight, and fight extremely effectively then I highly recommend it. It's no bs no rules straight up self defense.

I have a cousin who is a Krav Maga instructor.

Raizmup is correct... No belts, no tournaments, no ego, no etiquette.

Not only are you taught how to fight and survive, you are taught about situational awareness and how to keep yourself out of situations where a fight would occur.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: What's a good style of martial arts to learn? [Re: Kart29] #6301525
08/14/18 08:44 AM
08/14/18 08:44 AM
Texas
J
jtg Offline
trapper
jtg  Offline
trapper
J

Texas
You can do a search for Gracie Ji-Jitsu or 9th Planet Jitsu. 90% of fights end up on the ground. Gracie's sell's a DVD set called Gracie Combative and bully- prof and both are good but does not replace a good instructor and classes. www.gracieacademy.com
Tae Kwon Do is also good and great for stand- up. Breaking boards is about teaching young kids they can go beyond what they think is possible and a confidence builder. Other things you mentioned are to build flexibility and build stamina through exercise.
Like any class it's only as good as the instructor. I would sit in and watch a few classes. Regardless of what you take, you will not learn to win any fight right away but you will get better every day. Six months in Gracie Ji-Jitsu and you will be well on your way.

Originally Posted By: Kart29
My sons and I are wanting learn a martial art. We're pretty interested in learning Jiu Jitsu or may Krav Maga but can't seem to find any classes for that here locally. There's a Tae Kwon Do place nearby but I'm not so sure that's what we want to practice. Tae Kwon Do looks like more like a combination of dancing, gymnastics, and someday years down the road you learn how to kick a board in half. We want to learn how to fight right away.

What's a good martial art for a man to know?

Last edited by jtg; 08/14/18 08:50 AM.
Re: What's a good style of martial arts to learn? [Re: Kart29] #6301561
08/14/18 09:39 AM
08/14/18 09:39 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
TIA CHIA heck even Dick Vandyk can do it

Re: What's a good style of martial arts to learn? [Re: Kart29] #6301567
08/14/18 09:52 AM
08/14/18 09:52 AM
B61-12 vicinity, MO
T
TreedaBlackdog Offline
trapper
TreedaBlackdog  Offline
trapper
T

B61-12 vicinity, MO
Learn the Bible and develop your relationship with the Lord. Then place His guardian angels round about you for protection. If then, you fall, call on the name of the Lord Jesus who saves. Please name one individual who followed this and failed.

I should add - walk not in fear or anxiety. Rebuke Satan but walk in Gods promises.

Last edited by TreedaBlackdog; 08/14/18 09:53 AM.
Re: What's a good style of martial arts to learn? [Re: Kart29] #6301571
08/14/18 09:58 AM
08/14/18 09:58 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
the ones who failed are now dead and cant tell you their tale.

Last edited by danny clifton; 08/14/18 09:59 AM.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: What's a good style of martial arts to learn? [Re: Kart29] #6301573
08/14/18 10:04 AM
08/14/18 10:04 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Isshinryu.

-Goofy-
Re: What's a good style of martial arts to learn? [Re: Kart29] #6301574
08/14/18 10:05 AM
08/14/18 10:05 AM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
Bingo Danny! A little bit of paranoia can keep you alive, being oblivious to reality is very dangerous.

Re: What's a good style of martial arts to learn? [Re: TreedaBlackdog] #6301578
08/14/18 10:11 AM
08/14/18 10:11 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted By: TreedaBlackdog
Learn the Bible and develop your relationship with the Lord. Then place His guardian angels round about you for protection. If then, you fall, call on the name of the Lord Jesus who saves. Please name one individual who followed this and failed.

I should add - walk not in fear or anxiety. Rebuke Satan but walk in Gods promises.

Well let's see, it wasn't a gardian angel that struck a giant in the head with a rock and then cut his head off. It wasn't a gardian angel that killed a thousand soldiers.

I'm with you on where to place your trust but sometimes you have to do the work.

-Goofy-
Re: What's a good style of martial arts to learn? [Re: Kart29] #6301588
08/14/18 10:28 AM
08/14/18 10:28 AM

C
Cysquatch
Unregistered
Cysquatch
Unregistered
C

I'm a fan of any mixed martial arts. When taught by any well trained instructor they are very effective for self defense. My kids and I are currently being trained in a combination of Muay Thai, Hapkido, and Jujitsu

Re: What's a good style of martial arts to learn? [Re: Kart29] #6301601
08/14/18 10:50 AM
08/14/18 10:50 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Escaping or Disabling quickly a perceived would be attacker or assailant is key. Forget anything else unless you are armed and skilled. It is maim or kill or be killed no wrestling around.

Some will just be victims and that is a fact regardless of what you learn. To many variables. Some just don't wont be able to react or think quickly enough in a stress situation with fear and emotion involved.

If you get into a grappling situation with an individual your chances of survival without injury or death increases dramatically. This depends on luck and your physical ability and that of your attacker as to who gets the better of the situation.

Re: What's a good style of martial arts to learn? [Re: Kart29] #6301607
08/14/18 11:00 AM
08/14/18 11:00 AM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Shorin-ryu , Akido , Shotokan , Kempo are all good solid practical systems that balance core Chi power with reasonableness in mental discipline .

With very good situational awareness training , to think ahead to avoid trouble to begin with , as well as being keen in observation with extremely effective undercurrent in auto mindset , wherever you may go.

Of course the longer one practices any style, the better they become, with good muscle memory that stays.

Good comments in other styles here, too.

Nerve and pressure points that are mentioned cannot be underestimated . I have seen large men scoff at that idea, only to be brought to their knees ,and releasing their hold on someone half their size in a second , with only two or three fingers pressure . Many of those are in the face, jaws, and neck . An advantage of knowledge over size . Then needing to know instantly what to do from there to stay alive....

Being armed is wonderful, of course, but there are times that things can happen so fast, there is no time to access anything , other than your bodily reaction to gain your personal space boundary again.

Either way, better to see and avoid the raging flood coming in the distance ,than try to swim through it in surprise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread