No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What's a good style of martial arts to learn? [Re: Kart29] #6301616
08/14/18 11:14 AM
08/14/18 11:14 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
a friend studied a few and also taught police training for a while, and when I said nah I never did any martial arts , but I wrestled in High school he said what do you think wrestling is. his emphasis was do one any one make it one that you enjoy and that there is a facility training it near by. learning more than one is ideal because once you know the form you know the next counter , but if your switching it up with multiple forms your a harder book to read.

but that if you need it your not likely to be going against anyone trained so most any will do.

75% is balance , learning your body and keeping on your feet.

now If i could find a school for it I would like to learn Fairbain-Sykes method that developed a mixed method simplifying down and mixing forms to then teach to OSS and Marine Raiders.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: What's a good style of martial arts to learn? [Re: TreedaBlackdog] #6301623
08/14/18 11:31 AM
08/14/18 11:31 AM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline OP
trapper
Kart29  Offline OP
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
Originally Posted By: TreedaBlackdog
Learn the Bible and develop your relationship with the Lord. Then place His guardian angels round about you for protection. If then, you fall, call on the name of the Lord Jesus who saves. Please name one individual who followed this and failed.

I should add - walk not in fear or anxiety. Rebuke Satan but walk in Gods promises.

How about the Apostle Paul. He got his butt whipped pretty bad a couple of times as I recall.
And weren't all but one of the disciples murdered?
Stephen was stoned to death by an angry mob.
Johnathon, David's friend, was faithful to God but was killed by the enemy.

David has already been mentioned. He relied completely on God and then went hand-to-hand, stacking up dead Phillistine like cord-wood. God prepared him for battle in advance by bringing him the lion and bear to practice his fighting skills and build his confidence.

God enabled Samson with supernatural strength who then went full live Gonzo slaughtering Phillistines.

Peter was a pretty salty character. Jesus told his disciples that if they didn't have a sword then they had better go get one.

I'm all in favor of depending completely on God's strength. But God usually accomplishes his purpose through ordinary means. He sure raised up some pretty bad-to-the-bone killers throughout history.

Psalm 144:1

Praise be to the Lord my Rock,
who trains my hands for war,
my fingers for battle

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Re: What's a good style of martial arts to learn? [Re: Kart29] #6301626
08/14/18 11:35 AM
08/14/18 11:35 AM
MB
J
Jurassic Park Offline
trapper
Jurassic Park  Offline
trapper
J

MB
Kickboxing would be a great class to take. There are fighting gyms and excercise gyms that teach it so make sure you’re in the fighting gym.

Cold as ice!
Re: What's a good style of martial arts to learn? [Re: Kart29] #6301629
08/14/18 11:38 AM
08/14/18 11:38 AM
new york
H
henpecked1 Offline
trapper
henpecked1  Offline
trapper
H

new york
You can learn to fight right away but you are still going to lose: learning to fight and win takes time and experience. Experience is expensive, broken nose, facial scars, potential head injuries and broken bones. Suggest you learn to beef up at a gym, like cross fit. Taking a hit is as important as giving one. Most street fights last less than 90 seconds. The military teaches minimal hand to hand in about 2 weeks, they know you have less than 30 seconds to live through it. Beef up, get smart and learn to evade confrontation. learn to live to fight another day: learn to survive. Even if you win, your gonna hurt and maybe in jail for a long time.

Re: What's a good style of martial arts to learn? [Re: Kart29] #6301631
08/14/18 11:42 AM
08/14/18 11:42 AM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
BJJ.

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: What's a good style of martial arts to learn? [Re: Kart29] #6301632
08/14/18 11:45 AM
08/14/18 11:45 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I learned some basics from my old man.Strike first,fast and hard,and better to fight and get away and be around to fight another day.(in other words get the job done and get out of dodge before the cops show up).

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: What's a good style of martial arts to learn? [Re: henpecked1] #6301651
08/14/18 12:05 PM
08/14/18 12:05 PM
Texas
J
jtg Offline
trapper
jtg  Offline
trapper
J

Texas
No need for all of that broken stuff and injuries and beef up guys are the first one to quit on SEAL teams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvbuT3mxrNY&t=24s

Originally Posted By: henpecked1
You can learn to fight right away but you are still going to lose: learning to fight and win takes time and experience. Experience is expensive, broken nose, facial scars, potential head injuries and broken bones. Suggest you learn to beef up at a gym, like cross fit. Taking a hit is as important as giving one. Most street fights last less than 90 seconds. The military teaches minimal hand to hand in about 2 weeks, they know you have less than 30 seconds to live through it. Beef up, get smart and learn to evade confrontation. learn to live to fight another day: learn to survive. Even if you win, your gonna hurt and maybe in jail for a long time.

Re: What's a good style of martial arts to learn? [Re: Kart29] #6301657
08/14/18 12:08 PM
08/14/18 12:08 PM
On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
H
Hutchy Offline
trapper
Hutchy  Offline
trapper
H

On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
Beefing up did nothing for me the last time I was doing Muay Thai. Glass jaw here. One stiff shot and lights out for me. And I was about 225 and pretty cut at that point

Re: What's a good style of martial arts to learn? [Re: henpecked1] #6301672
08/14/18 12:23 PM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline OP
trapper
Kart29  Offline OP
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana

My sons and I already in pretty good shape. I'm not bulky or muscle-bound by any means but I jog, bike, work out with dumbbells and do lots of calisthenics like push-ups, chin ups, dips, squats, situps, etc. I'm a better trapper and firefighter because of it, too. I'm never going to be an imposing physical presence - especially as I get older. And I don't think just being strong is going to automatically make us effective fighters, either.

I do eventually want to learn to take a hit. I don't want to get beat up but I think some boxing sparring or an equivalent would be great experience.

I heard that in Krav Maga, one of the first things they teach you is that "I can run faster scared than you can angry". In other words, running away is an excellent self-defense technique and should be one of the top options. I'm not looking to be a bully or to get into fights. I think most all martial arts teach you to avoid a fight whenever possible and also show you how to do that. I hate confrontation and conflict. But I want to be as prepared as possible if the need to fight comes along. Confidence for my sons and I that we can make a decent showing for ourselves if we have to is very important - whether we ever have to use it for self-defense or not. Mentally, running away because its the smart thing to do is completely different than running away out of fear when there was something worth fighting for. A brave man might die once but a coward dies a thousand times. There are worse things than dying.

There have been quite a few suggestions listed here and I thank you for them. I've never heard of most of those so if there is some reason you think they may be good options I'd be interested to know why you think they are a good option.

Unfortunately, not living close to a large population center, it seems my options are limited.

None shall take thee

Re: What's a good style of martial arts to learn? [Re: Kart29] #6301673
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Online content
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Online Content
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
im getting older. if I have to use my hands or feet its going to have to end fast. im not trying for a knockout or pressure point. I will walk away as my first choice. if that wont work it aint gonna be pretty. no way I could trade punches with a young guy even if I was inclined to

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: What's a good style of martial arts to learn? [Re: jtg] #6301676
08/14/18 12:28 PM
08/14/18 12:28 PM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline OP
trapper
Kart29  Offline OP
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
Originally Posted By: jtg
No need for all of that broken stuff and injuries and beef up guys are the first one to quit on SEAL teams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvbuT3mxrNY&t=24s

Sadly, there's a Gracie Academy not far from where I work. But its about 50 miles from where my sons live and go to school. And this is something we need to do together. It would be completely impractical for them to train there.

None shall take thee

Re: What's a good style of martial arts to learn? [Re: danny clifton] #6301678
08/14/18 12:31 PM
08/14/18 12:31 PM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline OP
trapper
Kart29  Offline OP
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
Originally Posted By: danny clifton
im getting older. if I have to use my hands or feet its going to have to end fast. im not trying for a knockout or pressure point. I will walk away as my first choice. if that wont work it aint gonna be pretty. no way I could trade punches with a young guy even if I was inclined to

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the whole point of learning a martial art is to avoid having to trade punches. I don't care how good of a fighter you are, standing up face to face an exchanging blows is dangerous and stupid.

None shall take thee

Re: What's a good style of martial arts to learn? [Re: jtg] #6301708
08/14/18 01:25 PM
08/14/18 01:25 PM
new york
H
henpecked1 Offline
trapper
henpecked1  Offline
trapper
H

new york
Yeah, you can enjoy your video's; 27 years combined service between the Army and the Navy (retired Navy): I turned 50 in Iraq in OIF II. I have been in over 50 countries. It takes 10 to 30 support people and a lot of technology to put in a team of door kickers (Army, Marine Navy). Do not compare the average Joe to to any military person yet alone an operator or what ever is your favorite brand/flavor of the month based on TV and youtube. Do not compare apples oranges and lemons as there are alot of 3rd world people dressed in rags with old AK's that have put a thumping on a lot of professionals since Indo-China. What I said was true. Chief Hanson USN retired.

Re: What's a good style of martial arts to learn? [Re: Kart29] #6301724
08/14/18 01:48 PM
08/14/18 01:48 PM
Texas
J
jtg Offline
trapper
jtg  Offline
trapper
J

Texas
My friend you are not wrong. In time, with training you gain the confidence and carry yourself in a way that they know to leave you alone. The point is to avoid fights and make friends. The truth is there is some very bad people out there and like a gun, it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Ground work is very important.
The other main point, it's fun to train and keeps you in very good shape and make new friends. For kids, it benefits them in every area in their life. Teaches to eat healthy, keeps in shape, builds confidence and list goes on.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the whole point of learning a martial art is to avoid having to trade punches. I don't care how good of a fighter you are, standing up face to face an exchanging blows is dangerous and stupid. [/quote]

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread