No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Chain Length #6301871
08/14/18 05:05 PM
08/14/18 05:05 PM
maine
smallcreek55 Offline OP
trapper
smallcreek55  Offline OP
trapper

maine
When reading the last Trapper's Post I noticed a couple adds that show maybe a #1.5 or #2 #3 coil spring traps and they show in the picture either 6 or 7 links of chain then a swivel then again 6 or 7 links is that what most of you guys do , or do you go length for a certain animal and do you do the same for long spring? Thank's guys

Re: Chain Length [Re: smallcreek55] #6301881
08/14/18 05:19 PM
08/14/18 05:19 PM
North Carolina
DaYooper14 Offline
trapper
DaYooper14  Offline
trapper

North Carolina
Mine goes by what the regulations are for the state. If i'm using an earth anchor, 8" or less (law in NC) and if drag - I like 8'.

Heads up that in Maine you also have swivel mandates:

https://www.maine.gov/ifw/hunting-trapping/trapping-laws/regulations.html#specifictraps

Regulations for Specific Types of Traps
Foothold traps:
The statewide foothold trapping regulations are as follows:

Foothold traps must not be set above snow or ground level.
It is unlawful to use a trap with teeth on the jaws unless when set, placed, and tended, the trap is completely covered with water.
All foothold traps set on dry land must have at least three swiveling points and the chain must be centrally mounted at the base of the trap. One swiveling point must be at the base of the trap, one mid-way in the chain, and one at the trap's anchoring point.
3 Swivel Points
Centrally Mounted at the Base of the Trap
Think of this as the central third of the base of the trap anywhere within the circle. This can be a J-hook coming directly from the base of the trap or a swivel attached to the trap with D-ring, lap link or link of chain.
Midway-in the Chain
This is halfway between the base of the trap and the anchoring point. A double swivel (which technically has two swiveling points) is commonly used here, but another swiveling point is still required at the anchoring point and at the base of the trap.
The Anchoring Point
This is where the trap chain attaches to your anchoring device. An anchoring device may be a rebar stake, disposable or cable stake, or a drag. When using a drag, the anchoring point can be considered where the chain associated with the drag attaches to the trap chain. Remember that the use of drags is prohibited in WMD's 1-11, 14, 18 and 19.

-- It seems all of Greece knows what is the right thing to do, but it is only the Spartans that do anything about it. --
Re: Chain Length [Re: smallcreek55] #6301896
08/14/18 05:32 PM
08/14/18 05:32 PM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
Typically swivel+3 links+swivel+3 links+swivel, if going to drag/clog I jhook a 10" extension to the last swivel, if double staking I jhook that swivel to the center or five links of chain big enough to accept stakes.
But if you pay attention to your regulations you will be less apt to get into trouble than if you follow internet advice.

Re: Chain Length [Re: smallcreek55] #6302734
08/15/18 07:29 PM
08/15/18 07:29 PM
N.W. Iowa
T
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper
Tactical.20  Offline
trapper
T

N.W. Iowa
I like 18-20" chain