No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: Hatchetman] #6302124
08/14/18 09:44 PM
08/14/18 09:44 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
I suspect that doing away with the draft has contributed to the seemingly directionless drift of young people these days. That mandatory two or three year hiatus from school...and exposure to the real world....helped a lot of people decide what they wanted to pursue.

Mean As Nails
Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: Hatchetman] #6302136
08/14/18 09:51 PM
08/14/18 09:51 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Forgot to mention... My wife hates when I tell the kids they don't have to go to college if they don't want to.

Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: Hatchetman] #6302204
08/14/18 11:00 PM
08/14/18 11:00 PM
West Tennessee
D
doublesettrigger Offline
trapper
doublesettrigger  Offline
trapper
D

West Tennessee
Some of smartest people that worked for and with me had BS, MS, or PHD degrees. Some of the smartest had High School or GED or a year or 2 of college.
Some of dumbest people that worked for and with me had BS, MS, or PHD degrees. Some of the dumbest had High School or GED or a year or 2 of college.Some of them couldn't scratch their butt with a hay rake.

Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: Hatchetman] #6302206
08/14/18 11:07 PM
08/14/18 11:07 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
I have a four year degree. My starting position didnt pay much but I rose quickly within the company, retiring at the top. I was also in the military reserves and got a commission. Retired after 27 years.

Dont have a problem with anyone who does not go to college, but I promise you that without my degree I might have never retired at 55 and been comfortable 20 yeas later. Wife did the same. She has two masters degrees.

Last edited by charles; 08/14/18 11:08 PM.
Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: Hatchetman] #6302218
08/14/18 11:28 PM
08/14/18 11:28 PM
NW MO
T
TurkeyTime Offline
trapper
TurkeyTime  Offline
trapper
T

NW MO
What the previous two said. Some good jobs require degrees simple as that. I do see that in the future Mexican labor will put a hurt on manual/skilled labor. It is creeping along. Some of the labor unions really need to be careful as their pay, work, benefits, etc. are so high it is really inviting the cheap Mexican labor to come in.

Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: Hatchetman] #6302291
08/15/18 06:47 AM
08/15/18 06:47 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
I was in the Army with a fella from Lawrence KS that had 6 yrs of college. He joined the Army cause his dream was to play in the Army band. Seriously.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: adam m] #6302312
08/15/18 07:23 AM
08/15/18 07:23 AM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Originally Posted By: adam m
Forgot to mention... My wife hates when I tell the kids they don't have to go to college if they don't want to.

I’ve been saying this for 17 years. My wife was the same way, but she’s coming around. I came to the conclusion after about 4 years of guiding guys that had more money then I’ll ever dream of. Every night at the supper table it was the same story!! No one could find good hard working employees, and they would pay big money to find one. A vast majority of the guys with big money where owners of companies like HVAC, trucking lines, and oil supplies etc... really got me to thinking. Most Skilled labor is hard labor and it’s getting harder every day to find young men and women that want to to it.

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: Hatchetman] #6302319
08/15/18 07:34 AM
08/15/18 07:34 AM
kentucky
L
logger coffey Offline
trapper
logger coffey  Offline
trapper
L

kentucky
I dont know how many years my sister in law went to school, but now shes a assistant surgeon. they take out so much a week for her paying it back , my brother works at a sawmill and makes more than her, or bringing home more, she will retire she said before its all payed back ,so i wonder if it was worth it for her. my daughter works at walmart and talks of how hard it is to train the collage kids how to run a cash register.

Last edited by logger coffey; 08/15/18 07:39 AM.
Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: Hatchetman] #6302330
08/15/18 07:43 AM
08/15/18 07:43 AM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
I went to Universal Technical Institute to be an auto tech right after high school. It was okay, I actually learned more in the field and through other training courses. But it was relatively cheap and I was out in 16 months making money. Ive worked all kinds of jobs, from private shop to chain to dealer and now I'm a mechanic for a police department. I make awesome money now, enough for my wife to stay at home with our five kids. I started out at $8.00 an hour though, that was a little rough. I had a lot of friends in high school that told me to start practicing saying "would you like fries with that?" when they learned I wasn't going to the local university with them. I don't talk to any of them anymore, but from what I understand, not a single one of them is working a job that requires a college degree.

Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: Hatchetman] #6302333
08/15/18 07:53 AM
08/15/18 07:53 AM
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

PA
One of the finacial channels had a story about how CEO's salary now avaerages 145 times the average yearly wages of their company's hourly workers. That could be one reason many job openings have so few people being trained to fill them.
Later, the same show had an "expert" express concern that a wage increase for "marginal" employees can hurt the profit margins of the company.

I know many young men who have done well for themselves by being trained by the labor unions. I have written letters of recomendation for many of them. The kids graduating from high school with strong math skills and an interest in going to work are in huge demand for well paying jobs.

We do many kids a disservice by making them believe that college is their best option. But we do a bigger disservice to kids if we give them the impression that their high school education should not be taken seriously. A kid who does well in high school can always dumb it down and take a low paying job, but a kid who fails, and allows himself to miss out, can easily be stuck near the bottom.

Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: Hatchetman] #6302344
08/15/18 08:15 AM
08/15/18 08:15 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
College is not for everyone. I agree that most kids who go to college with no specific career goals are wasting there time and somebody's money, whether theirs or their parents.

For smart, focused, ambitious kids (yes, they do still exist), a four-year degree can be a very valuable investment. I can also see the flip side; America needs more skilled tradesmen. I've worked in residential construction and remodeling most of my life. The really good tradesmen are retiring and there's no one to replace them. The construction industry is in dire need of tradesmen!

I have three daughters, all adults now. Career goals were discussed many times. College was always an option I was in favor of because of the career opportunities a four-year degree can unlock. I always cautioned that if that sort of money was going to be spent, the responsibility to make it work and pay off was huge.

My oldest is one of those rare kids mentioned above (smart, focused, ambitious). She got an expensive four-year degree in International Relations. Her goal was to be hired by the State Department, become a Foreign Service Officer and get paid to travel the world (she's always loved international travel). That's exactly what she did! The pay is pretty good and the perks are great. She's in her mid-thirties now and her degrees will be paid for soon.

My middle child decided against college, went to work for a national bank and began climbing the ladder. She's not overly ambitious but is content where she's at. She was promoted to branch manager a year ago.

My youngest is unfocused, college would be a waste of time for her. Despite that warning she did a semester with a major in biology before dropping out ($15,000.00 down the drain). At twenty-five she is still deciding what she wants to be when she grows up! LOL She's not lazy, she works all the time and is currently employed by me on my construction crew. She just needs to decide what she wants to do with her life and stick with it. I've recommended trade school to her, even offered to pay for it but she's not interested.

I think it depends more on the person than the type of education they choose (trade school vs. college). An ambitious, focused person is almost always going to achieve more of their goals than one who lacks a plan and the initiative to make it happen.

Eh...wot?

Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: Hatchetman] #6302361
08/15/18 08:53 AM
08/15/18 08:53 AM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
I heard about an article yesterday in the Washington Post (I think) Some people in the SWAMP are spending 200k+ on advisors and consultants to get their kids into schools. They talked about people paying 16k on a day or to class for their kids to prep them for college applications and application letters. Fricken crazy.

I’ll try and find it and see if I’m smart enough to put it on here

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: Hatchetman] #6302382
08/15/18 09:21 AM
08/15/18 09:21 AM
Oklahoma
M
Matt28 Offline
trapper
Matt28  Offline
trapper
M

Oklahoma
I didn't go to collage, I went to a tech. School. I make good money for where we live. My wife works at Wal-Mart she didn't graduate h.s but has made assistant manager in 4 years of working there.

Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: Hatchetman] #6302386
08/15/18 09:23 AM
08/15/18 09:23 AM
Oklahoma
M
Matt28 Offline
trapper
Matt28  Offline
trapper
M

Oklahoma
I hear xray tech. Is a good one bowhunter.

Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: Hatchetman] #6302391
08/15/18 09:33 AM
08/15/18 09:33 AM
North Carolina
DaYooper14 Offline
trapper
DaYooper14  Offline
trapper

North Carolina
Originally Posted By: Hatchetman
If you're a fan of Mike Rowe you may embrace his thoughts on higher education...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8Lk1KwWEMo

I'm a big fan of Mike Rowe. He hasn't slipped up yet. His communication style both written and verbal is refreshing. Good on him all around.

4yr degree here. I'll never regret it.

-- It seems all of Greece knows what is the right thing to do, but it is only the Spartans that do anything about it. --
Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: Hatchetman] #6302394
08/15/18 09:35 AM
08/15/18 09:35 AM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
I went to college, 1 semester, I figured it was a waste of time and money and dropped out.
Then I went to a Tech school, dropped out after 3 semesters, didn't need to finish, I had a job offer in my field of study.
After all I was going to school to get a job, why keep going when you have the job.
Everybody in my class at the Tech school had jobs offers in the field of study on the day they graduated.

I went on to work at several different companies and at the age of approx 35 I bought out a small local business.
I ran that company and grew it about 10 times, then at the age of 50 I sold that business and retired.
I am comfortable, I don't worry about finances.

I managed to retire comfortably because of my work ethic that I learned from my Dad. I didn't need a college degree.

I know many young people, some wonderful people, with college degrees that can't get a decent job. I've asked them many times "did you look into the job market for your field of studies before you started college?" They never do.

They go for studies like Dance, Music, even fields like Chemist Tech and Biology.

I graduated H.S. in '76 and the push for college was bad then and now its worse.

Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: Hatchetman] #6302416
08/15/18 10:04 AM
08/15/18 10:04 AM
Southern WV
A
Anglinscreek Offline
trapper
Anglinscreek  Offline
trapper
A

Southern WV
Went to college for 4 years to be a teacher. Recently quit teaching to drive a van in the pipeline as a member of the Teamsters union. I more than doubled.my pay.

Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: bowhunter27295] #6302425
08/15/18 10:28 AM
08/15/18 10:28 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted By: bowhunter27295
My daughter on the other hand is more difficult to recommend a trade. Yeah, I know, girl power, blah blah blah. Women cannot be successful in difficult trades that require physical strength. So in my simple mind, I hope for her to be able to capitalize on mental power. I continue to speak with her about going to a sales school. One that seriously teaches sales. Body language, correct verbiage, tact, presentation and all that jazz. I think anyone could do well if they learn how to sell stuff.

So trades are fantastic in my opinion. What trades can be recommended for females?

Excellent points and I agree with them all. I hope somebody can answer your question, I can't.

Eh...wot?

Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: Hatchetman] #6302442
08/15/18 10:53 AM
08/15/18 10:53 AM
havelock, NC
Rye Offline
trapper
Rye  Offline
trapper

havelock, NC
I graduated highschool at 17, and joined the Marine Corps. I graduated a week after I turned 18. I did ten years, and got out. Worked for about 11 years, then went to college online via Park University and earned a four year degree in Computer Science, Network Security. My degree is essentially the foundation. In order to be employable with it, I will need 2-3 more certifications in addition to the two I currently hold. Each one of those require Continuing Education to maintain individually, one requiring a complete retest every four years. In all of this what I have learned the most, I don't want to be in this industry anymore. I want to grow and sell produce, so thats what I am doing. I built a hydroponic greenhouse, and have started and am growing a small microgreen production business in my "spare" time. I've had to give up many things, trapping is one that I've had to cut way way back on.
College didn't prepare me for a job, it taught me how to think, and think creatively, as well as understand multiple aspects of a given situation. I would not have been ready right out of highschool to do this. I needed life experience first to appreciate what I was learning, and how to employ it in other aspects of my life. I'm glad I went, I'm glad I did it, but I think it's the culmination of life experiences and college that made me what I am today. Not one or the other. I will never be super wealthy, and I'm ok with that. I find a greater importance in loving what I do.

You really want to know what college taught me? There is no "safe" computer. The only one that is truly safe is the one thats powered off, and locked in a vault. Everything can be penetrated.

Last edited by Rye; 08/15/18 11:07 AM.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first. "
--Mark Twain.

Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: bowhunter27295] #6302447
08/15/18 11:10 AM
08/15/18 11:10 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted By: bowhunter27295

My daughter on the other hand is more difficult to recommend a trade. Yeah, I know, girl power, blah blah blah. Women cannot be successful in difficult trades that require physical strength. So in my simple mind, I hope for her to be able to capitalize on mental power. I continue to speak with her about going to a sales school. One that seriously teaches sales. Body language, correct verbiage, tact, presentation and all that jazz. I think anyone could do well if they learn how to sell stuff.

So trades are fantastic in my opinion. What trades can be recommended for females?

If she has worked with you she has likely seen all the different trades in action.

IF she is interested in a trade I would suggest electrician and eventually, an electrical administrators license. Not a lot of need for brute strength but does require some knowledge and the ability to learn and reason.

OR...airline pilot.The best pilots I have known have all been women. It's that fine motor skill thing ..I think.

Mean As Nails
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread