No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Big whitetail bucks [Re: AJE] #6309268
08/24/18 06:55 AM
08/24/18 06:55 AM
N.E. Nebr
L
LDW Offline
trapper
LDW  Offline
trapper
L

N.E. Nebr
We don't have any good deer here in Nebr. Most are just spikes or button bucks. If I were anybody thinking about hunting Nebr, I would spend my money elsewhere.

Re: Big whitetail bucks [Re: LDW] #6309291
08/24/18 07:52 AM
08/24/18 07:52 AM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted By: LDW
We don't have any good deer here in Nebr. Most are just spikes or button bucks. If I were anybody thinking about hunting Nebr, I would spend my money elsewhere.

I have a lot of photos and trail cam pics that would refute that! smile

Re: Big whitetail bucks [Re: AJE] #6309305
08/24/18 08:16 AM
08/24/18 08:16 AM
Central MN
Eric B Offline
trapper
Eric B  Offline
trapper

Central MN
I would say that no matter where you go, maybe 10% of the hunters will kill the oldest bucks in the area. Even on private ground, there are guys who just wanna get a buck, and then there are guys who want THAT buck. Those guys consistently get it done. My cousin is one of those guys. Every single year he kills a 140+ buck with his bow. So while it definitely depends on the are for true giants, good deer can be taken almost anywhere with the right mindset and some patience.
Bernie, I've read some of your articles and you seem like one of those guys. I'm sure that's partly why you've been successful so many places.

Re: Big whitetail bucks [Re: BernieB.] #6309803
08/24/18 11:12 PM
08/24/18 11:12 PM
N.E. Nebr
L
LDW Offline
trapper
LDW  Offline
trapper
L

N.E. Nebr
Originally Posted By: BernieB.

I have a lot of photos and trail cam pics that would refute that! smile
Just kidding. Trying to keep it a secret or they will all want to hunt here.

Re: Big whitetail bucks [Re: AJE] #6309811
08/24/18 11:24 PM
08/24/18 11:24 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Yeah I heard Nebraska has the biggest bucks, fewest hunters, and easiest to get a tag and permission to hunt. Lol

Last edited by Yes sir; 08/24/18 11:24 PM.
Re: Big whitetail bucks [Re: AJE] #6309935
08/25/18 08:05 AM
08/25/18 08:05 AM
western mn
B
bucksnbears Offline
trapper
bucksnbears  Offline
trapper
B

western mn
I've never entered deer in the archery books and doute I ever will.

swampgas chili and schmidt beer makes for a deadly combo

You have to remember that 1 out of 3 Democratic Voters is just as dumb as the other two.
Re: Big whitetail bucks [Re: LDW] #6310008
08/25/18 10:18 AM
08/25/18 10:18 AM
MB
J
Jurassic Park Online content
trapper
Jurassic Park  Online Content
trapper
J

MB

I’m going to Nebraska once I’m done in Minnesota.

Cold as ice!
Re: Big whitetail bucks [Re: Jurassic Park] #6310039
08/25/18 11:17 AM
08/25/18 11:17 AM
Mi, Mecosta
A
ambush32 Offline
trapper
ambush32  Offline
trapper
A

Mi, Mecosta
Originally Posted By: Jurassic Park

I’m going to Nebraska once I’m done in Minnesota.

I will say not all of Nebraska is a good producer...my first two years archery hunting is NE was a learning curve, I was in the wrong areas....I spent the 2nd year of my trip driving for miles until I figured out where the good hunting was...I bowhunted a lot of trashy farms and state lands that year, that was the fun, I met a lot of good people...Slept in many cornfields in my minivan, if I needed a shower it was at the local truckstop somewhere in NE...

I’m not a local of NE(listen to the locals)but I feel fortunate to have hunted in this state for about 8 years...A few private farms and a bunch of public hunting lands....

All that and the biggest buck I ever had in bow range was a spike....

Thought I was a good trapper until I started trapping coyotes......
Thought I was a good bowhunter until I targeted mature bucks....
Re: Big whitetail bucks [Re: AJE] #6310925
08/26/18 03:29 PM
08/26/18 03:29 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
The bucks from Ohio were entered in B&C more than 50 years ago. Currently in Ohio there is a deer crisis. There are few deer and even fewer bucks. The bucks are very small and weak. The crisis must be extreme for the division of wildlife to reduce the doe limit on public land.

The deer crisis has been caused by overselling of deer tags, overharvest of does, if it’s brown it’s down mentality, city hunters, out of state hunters, illegal aliens, outer space aliens, Bigfoot, trespassing, poaching, country hunters, Amish hunters, slob hunters wounding 5 deer for each one they recover, public land, hunting without permission, lack of voluntary restraint, antler worship, foreigners coming to Ellis Island in the early 1900’s, general overpopulation, stray dogs, parceling of farms, the overall decay of rural areas, fracking, the opioid crisis and cheap heroin, traffic jams, ticks, specific strains of flu, Chinese steel, the industrial revolution, PETA, labor unions, the devil, celebrity worship, leasing of private land for hunting, crossbows, crime sprees, the failure of the war on drugs, the Democrats, and most of all Obama.

Any hunters desiring to have a great deer hunt should go to any other state. Remember you were warned!

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Big whitetail bucks [Re: AJE] #6311015
08/26/18 05:24 PM
08/26/18 05:24 PM
SD
T
Tray Offline
"Wilson Jr."
Tray  Offline
"Wilson Jr."
T

SD
I know a couple guys who will kill a B&C buck every couple years, they manage large chunks of ground for quality deer. And they have never entered any of them into the books, though the have them scored by a official scorer.
With that said I have had dozens of guys tell me they have killed B&C deer but didn't want to enter them but when you look at them it's fairly easy to tell they aren't, or they grossed over 170 but don't net the minimum.
Knowing the egos that so many big buck hunters have I have a difficult time believing that it's a very high percentage of hunters who don't enter them.
I know one outfitter that advertises that every year they kill 2-3 B&C off his lease in Iowa, but in talking to one of his ex guides who worked for him for 4 years they had only killed 2 in those 4 years, but lots of 160+ net deer that may have grossed over that 170 mark. Awsome deer regardless for most anyone, but that's not what sells.

Re: Big whitetail bucks [Re: BernieB.] #6311047
08/26/18 06:21 PM
08/26/18 06:21 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
The original post states clearly what bucks are being recorded as to method of registration and rack type, but as we always do here we want to poopoo the facts and create our own version of the facts even if they don't apply to the post. It also demonstrates that we as outdoor hunters and users want to skew things to suit our needs by quoting what is not recorded and then even adding that many don't want to register their kills as that just brings on the competition which indicates another whole aspect of "sporting ethics" as well. We chest thump on here regularly about how much better than the "typical" human being we are, but we are in reality just a small mirror of what our culture is. I find the post interesting and thank those for posting even knowing that the toilet will be flushed on their post numerous times.

Bryce

Re: Big whitetail bucks [Re: Willy Firewood] #6311055
08/26/18 06:41 PM
08/26/18 06:41 PM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
Originally Posted By: Willy Firewood
The bucks from Ohio were entered in B&C more than 50 years ago. Currently in Ohio there is a deer crisis. There are few deer and even fewer bucks. The bucks are very small and weak. The crisis must be extreme for the division of wildlife to reduce the doe limit on public land.

The deer crisis has been caused by overselling of deer tags, overharvest of does, if it’s brown it’s down mentality, city hunters, out of state hunters, illegal aliens, outer space aliens, Bigfoot, trespassing, poaching, country hunters, Amish hunters, slob hunters wounding 5 deer for each one they recover, public land, hunting without permission, lack of voluntary restraint, antler worship, foreigners coming to Ellis Island in the early 1900’s, general overpopulation, stray dogs, parceling of farms, the overall decay of rural areas, fracking, the opioid crisis and cheap heroin, traffic jams, ticks, specific strains of flu, Chinese steel, the industrial revolution, PETA, labor unions, the devil, celebrity worship, leasing of private land for hunting, crossbows, crime sprees, the failure of the war on drugs, the Democrats, and most of all Obama.

Any hunters desiring to have a great deer hunt should go to any other state. Remember you were warned!

Last edited by Buck (Zandra); 08/26/18 06:42 PM. Reason: mistake

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: Big whitetail bucks [Re: AJE] #6311128
08/26/18 08:20 PM
08/26/18 08:20 PM
SW Iowa
I
iowayote Offline
trapper
iowayote  Offline
trapper
I

SW Iowa
Alot of people dont register their bucks in the book, including me, my father and brothers. We all have monsters on our walls.

I will gladly feast on those who would subdue me.
Re: Big whitetail bucks [Re: iowayote] #6311182
08/26/18 09:14 PM
08/26/18 09:14 PM
Mi, Mecosta
A
ambush32 Offline
trapper
ambush32  Offline
trapper
A

Mi, Mecosta
Originally Posted By: iowayote
Alot of people dont register their bucks in the book, including me, my father and brothers. We all have monsters on our walls.

Sounds like a good area to hunt....where are you located...lol

Thought I was a good trapper until I started trapping coyotes......
Thought I was a good bowhunter until I targeted mature bucks....
Re: Big whitetail bucks [Re: AJE] #6311229
08/26/18 09:52 PM
08/26/18 09:52 PM
southwest, VA
andyva Offline
trapper
andyva  Offline
trapper

southwest, VA
Most of the "big buck" producing states also happen to allow farmed deer. Genetic manipulation is a powerful thing. They have deer now that put on huge racks as two year olds. Tags in their ear, artificial insemination, in vitro fertilization, just like any other highly commercialized livestock. One jumps a fence here and there and it can have profound effects on a local population. Also, a few unloaded off a stock trailer can have profound effects on how many hunts an outfitter can sell. It's all highly commercialized and gives people a false set of expectations. If you didn't kill a deer like the one on the magazine cover (that coincidentally was AI sired by #3497, then you need to drop a couple grand on a bunch of junk that they advertise in the magazine. (Good pack of Walkers will do you more good than all that junk.) I always figured people that worry much about deer horns are compensating for something anyway.

Re: Big whitetail bucks [Re: AJE] #6311247
08/26/18 10:05 PM
08/26/18 10:05 PM
nunya,ks
T
tbn Offline
trapper
tbn  Offline
trapper
T

nunya,ks
A friend of mine was out shooting his $1200 new bow the other night.I thought I could have bought a whole beef for what he has tied up in that rig.

Re: Big whitetail bucks [Re: Willy Firewood] #6311249
08/26/18 10:06 PM
08/26/18 10:06 PM
MB
J
Jurassic Park Online content
trapper
Jurassic Park  Online Content
trapper
J

MB
Originally Posted By: Willy Firewood

Oh man that was great!

Once I’m done hunting in Minnesota and Nebraska I’m coming to Ohio!

Cold as ice!
Re: Big whitetail bucks [Re: AJE] #6311263
08/26/18 10:19 PM
08/26/18 10:19 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
Jurassic - I am glad you liked it. And, I even forgot about deer farming! And CWD. And blue tongue. And AIDS.

Two counties over an Amish guy at a deer farm received and then sold a buck to a preserve 4 counties away and after someone paid a big price and hunted and killed it, it tested positive for Chronic wasting disease. Bad news!

Since you are brave enough, you can hunt with me. Maybe we will find one weak puny buck.

In all seriousness, I know of several very large bucks that have not been entered anywhere and have a very questionable story.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Big whitetail bucks [Re: AJE] #6311354
08/27/18 04:53 AM
08/27/18 04:53 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
you antler hunters need to look at tx. tx is over run with big uns as texans all go out of state to hunt. not sure if texas wimmin are the cause and their men need a break from them or what. anyway when all the texans are in colorado or missouri or iowa or whatever, you folks need to run down there. hunt where there is no pressure.

everything is bigger in texas

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread