No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Got some silner vine today! [Re: Law Dog] #6311625
08/27/18 02:19 PM
08/27/18 02:19 PM
Nevadafornia
L
Lazarus Offline
trapper
Lazarus  Offline
trapper
L

Nevadafornia
Odiferous: You might try some Forever from O'Gorman. Its like a super thin petroleum gel. In warm weather its like mineral oil; in cold weather it gels up, but nothing like Petroleum gel. If you cut it with olive oil, you could probably get nearly identical to glycerin as far as freeze proof and consistency. Try some pure ground castor (no glycol or glycerin added to it), some SV and just enough olive oil to make a thick paste. Freezing temps won't hurt it and it works great.

Law Dog: Pay close attention to those cats!!!! You have the luxury of having three willing (OK, maybe "available" is a better word) test subjects right at your door. Their reaction will be very much what you see from spotted cats. Just make sure you give them an hour or more between testing because they will need to clear their systems so you get a valid appraisal of whatever new concoction you put in front of them.

Re: Got some silner vine today! [Re: Law Dog] #6311662
08/27/18 03:37 PM
08/27/18 03:37 PM
Northern Missouri
Northmocats Offline
trapper
Northmocats  Offline
trapper

Northern Missouri
Let us know how it goes Lawdog. Interesting topic.. I've considered getting some and mixing with Olive oil ^ good info thanks. kinda make a smear paste of it.
I have a Half feral cat that hangs in my Backyard at times .. I tested some rub lure on him the other day. He didnt spend much time investigating, but did go right to it.

Re: Got some silner vine today! [Re: Lazarus] #6311664
08/27/18 03:39 PM
08/27/18 03:39 PM
Central, NY
O
odiferous Offline
trapper
odiferous  Offline
trapper
O

Central, NY
Originally Posted By: Lazarus
Odiferous: You might try some Forever from O'Gorman. Its like a super thin petroleum gel. In warm weather its like mineral oil; in cold weather it gels up, but nothing like Petroleum gel. If you cut it with olive oil, you could probably get nearly identical to glycerin as far as freeze proof and consistency. Try some pure ground castor (no glycol or glycerin added to it), some SV and just enough olive oil to make a thick paste. Freezing temps won't hurt it and it works great.

Law Dog: Pay close attention to those cats!!!! You have the luxury of having three willing (OK, maybe "available" is a better word) test subjects right at your door. Their reaction will be very much what you see from spotted cats. Just make sure you give them an hour or more between testing because they will need to clear their systems so you get a valid appraisal of whatever new concoction you put in front of them.

Lazarus, I really appreciate you sharing that info with me, a lot of people wouldn't. I'll definitely give it a try and thanks again.

Bob ~ AKA The Skunk Whisperer
Re: Got some silner vine today! [Re: Northmocats] #6311668
08/27/18 03:42 PM
08/27/18 03:42 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline OP
trapper
Law Dog  Offline OP
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted By: Northmocats
Let us know how it goes Lawdog. Interesting topic.. I've considered getting some and mixing with Olive oil ^ good info thanks. kinda make a smear paste of it.
I have a Half feral cat that hangs in my Backyard at times .. I tested some rub lure on him the other day. He didnt spend much time investigating, but did go right to it.

Them cats went from sniffing the pail to rubbing their cheeks all in 1 swift move they did not do it long but they did it! The only thing in the pail was residue after I poured the grindings into a 1/2 gallon ball jar a tapped on it a bit so it did not have much in it but dust.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Got some silner vine today! [Re: Law Dog] #6311719
08/27/18 05:16 PM
08/27/18 05:16 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline OP
trapper
Law Dog  Offline OP
trapper

Central, SD
Well the grinder shaft/arm was toast but the blender attachment will work without that arm it makes a little dust but gets most of it to a fine powder I ran the batch through 2X in the blender and 1X through the grinder to start. I put that "arm" out on a old stock tank I use for the chicken chicks did not think much about it.

I was working on some sweet skunk and seen a cat next to it I get a jar and head back and it's rubbing on the arm so I mix my skunk pods and put the jar back behind the shed and another one is rubbing a Siamese a totally different cat.

Camera was in the house so I walked over and put that arm I used to grind the gall with and set it down on the porch, boom 2 other cats walk up and rub on the arm. It had dust on it and not much of that even. LOL

Jerry Herbst
Re: Got some silner vine today! [Re: Law Dog] #6312405
08/28/18 12:50 PM
08/28/18 12:50 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline OP
trapper
Law Dog  Offline OP
trapper

Central, SD
Showered last night, podded a skunk handled some sweet skunk, washed my hands a dozen times and still can detect the silver vine odor on my hands still so it's long lasting, ground up about 80% of the pound left the rest as whole galls for later to grind.

Jerry Herbst
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread