No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Info on certified fur [Re: etxwoods] #6313867
08/30/18 07:58 AM
08/30/18 07:58 AM
ky
R
Redsleeves Offline
trapper
Redsleeves  Offline
trapper
R

ky
I agree with not doing it I don't feel it's anybody's business how Americans kill there product but! Dons right nothing were gonna be able too do about it! It's headed that way and sooner or later it's gonna happen. On a gensang note witch was a good parallel I can't even legally dig the stuff I planted in my yard until the season opened every yr.
Taxidermy huge part of my income let's get into some of that bullcrap game warden come to my house every yr to update me on new and changed laws! The only difference is it's state laws and fed laws not international if are fish and wildlife agencies will do there job internationaly they can kick sand. There gonna do it weather we comply or not! My vote is not but it won't stop um!
Colt

Re: Info on certified fur [Re: etxwoods] #6313869
08/30/18 08:05 AM
08/30/18 08:05 AM
New Mexico
C
Chamacat Offline
trapper
Chamacat  Offline
trapper
C

New Mexico
Yep..I'll try this again..Does a mink farmer anywhere in the world have to comply with a signature also?

I can catch them here...I can catch them ANYWHERE
Re: Info on certified fur [Re: etxwoods] #6313879
08/30/18 08:27 AM
08/30/18 08:27 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
What fur market Buck???????????????????????????????? BMP was going to save us all. Every woman in every first world country was going to buy fur garments if we just make soccer mom's happy with bmp.

A few coyotes in a very small part of the world have a small value as do a very few select cats. That's it. 25 cats or a hundred coyotes will no longer buy a new 4wd pickup no matter where you catch them at. C.I.T.E.S. and BMP have gotten us NOTHING.

Is this traceability thing going to change that? If so how? I'm already putting my name and license #'s on every bag of fur nafa gets. I feel like we are getting another the emperor is wearing invisible clothes stories.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Info on certified fur [Re: Marty B] #6313943
08/30/18 09:45 AM
08/30/18 09:45 AM
Washington
wildflights Offline
trapper
wildflights  Offline
trapper

Washington
Originally Posted By: Marty B

99% of every consumer product you purchase today has a traceability program in place. Its rare today to find one that doesn't.

Most them are in place in case something goes wrong the problem can be sorted out more efficiently.

Others like fur are for competitive advantage, and brand loyalty.

Its a marketing tool: They can look a customer in the eye, and say they did their due diligence, they went and made sure things were done by the rules established by various game & fish agencies, instead of taking someone's word for it.

That's all it is. Nothing more, nothing less.

They've thrown their lot in with yours, there's no way they want to slow you down, or restrict your efforts. That would hurt them as much you.

It helps them sell fur, and if their selling fur, your selling fur.

Just simple common sense.

It's not about any of those things. It's about money. The people putting the stamp (MSC FSC or other equally superfluous stamps) on products are well paid for little effort. They don't provide a real service or product.

Those wishing to be certified pay dearly for it.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. -Gustav Mahler
Re: Info on certified fur [Re: etxwoods] #6313992
08/30/18 10:44 AM
08/30/18 10:44 AM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
I never heard the BMP's were going to save us all or the way the market works.It most certainly saved us from the direction the EU was trying to take us.The market,will go were it goes regardless,always has,always will.But trying to keep our markets open is the goal,period.If all Europe or Asia signed on to an agreement like this you going to tell them all to go to (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) or you going to do something to keep them open?We are dealing with a global trade here,whether we like it or not we're going to have to play a different ball game with some.And as far as the markets condition at the moment,lets be real here.The market for the most part collapsed after WW2,what market existed was a'rat and mink game.Then the '70's fur boom which ended in the mid to late '80's.After that it went to a sporadic market again,similar to pre boom days.Up till now these politics played nothingwith the market,how politics play with our future is anybodies guess but I can guarantee you it'll be rearing its ugly head.Nobody on here likes what I'm saying and I can't make a prediction on how this is going to play out,but a new era is here and there's nothing you're going to do to stop it.

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: Info on certified fur [Re: etxwoods] #6313994
08/30/18 10:52 AM
08/30/18 10:52 AM
South Dakota
R
Rat Masterson Offline
trapper
Rat Masterson  Offline
trapper
R

South Dakota
Furs "coyotes" are already being tagged as to which state they came from. CG or anyone else can then decide if they want to buy fur from that state based on regs. within that state. My guess eventually a trapper will get tags which say Minn. on them and have to tag each pelt. Time will tell.

Re: Info on certified fur [Re: Rat Masterson] #6314022
08/30/18 11:44 AM
08/30/18 11:44 AM
idaho
W
wallfur Offline
trapper
wallfur  Offline
trapper
W

idaho
Originally Posted By: Rat Masterson
Furs "coyotes" are already being tagged as to which state they came from. CG or anyone else can then decide if they want to buy fur from that state based on regs. within that state. My guess eventually a trapper will get tags which say Minn. on them and have to tag each pelt. Time will tell.
.....if CG starts buying furs based on where it came from rather than guality it will go south in a hurry. For instance, they are going to buy only idaho tagged coyotes ,you will start seeing alot of coyotes from other states with idaho tags on them. ....just saying

Re: Info on certified fur [Re: etxwoods] #6314025
08/30/18 11:57 AM
08/30/18 11:57 AM
Maine
M
mainer Offline
trapper
mainer  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
Contrary to Don's surrender, there's nothing inevitable about this. The fact that "this whole thing has been in the works for I think over 20 years" demonstrates that "this whole thing" is not a done deal waiting for us down the road in any sense. It's been in the works for decades because we haven't participated and have no reason to do so.

1. We don't have to sign anything to sell our fur. Some folks believe this will be necessary because of the veiled threats from NAFA and Canada Goose. For example, we're being told our fur might not sell as well if we don't participate, and that this will be an industry-wide standard in the near future.

2. The United States DID NOT sign onto AIHTS. So signing a document in the future that would indicate you've followed AIHTS guidelines is meaningless. Right now, NAFA is asking that we voluntarily confirm in writing that we've followed our BMPs. But why? It's none of their business, and it does absolutely nothing to meet AIHTS compliance anyway. They're not a regulatory body; they have no regulatory jurisdiction, and they have no regulatory power to hand out sanctions.

3. So what’s the big deal, right? This is the point: As soon as you begin signing documents indicating your compliance to x, y or z, you are giving consent to a process and a set of practices that legitimizes the authority of someone over your actions. And this is the case even if the document is not legally binding.

4. NAFA wants to get this process and practice rolling ASAP so as to establish an industry-wide standard that they initiated first. This is how most industry practices become set in stone. The only way for this process and practice to succeed is if trappers in the United States voluntarily cooperate in the here and now.

5. Fur Certification and Traceability becomes inevitable only if we participate in it, and believe in the veiled threats that NAFA or any other fur auction will not buy our furs unless we comply with the dictates of the European Union.

Last edited by mainer; 08/30/18 12:03 PM. Reason: emphasis

"...in a very few days we succeeded in taking over one hundred beaver, the skins of which were worth ten dollars per pound."
Jim Beckwourth (1856)
Re: Info on certified fur [Re: etxwoods] #6314050
08/30/18 12:35 PM
08/30/18 12:35 PM
South Dakota
R
Rat Masterson Offline
trapper
Rat Masterson  Offline
trapper
R

South Dakota
Wallfur just telling you what it is,make of it what you will. There are unethical people in the fur deal now and there always was and always will be, that's one thing that will never change.

Re: Info on certified fur [Re: etxwoods] #6314074
08/30/18 01:05 PM
08/30/18 01:05 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
we been down the road of appeasing animal rights lunatics before. just like trying to appease the gun control is good for you crowd it is pointless. they can pound sand. wheres the money from agreeing to bmp testing and cites????????????????????????? I havnt seen any yet. barely a coyote and cat market and only for a select few. you would think the appease animal rights activist crowd would at least come up with a new fairy tale

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Info on certified fur [Re: etxwoods] #6314076
08/30/18 01:11 PM
08/30/18 01:11 PM
SE Kentucky
K
kytrapper Offline
trapper
kytrapper  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kentucky
Danny and Mainer 2024! I well remember when the BMP talk started and it was a veiled or not so veiled threat for marketing our fur. How much is the EU buying now? We must have more foresight ahead than just how to sell what's in our shed or freezer this year. All of this type thing is done incrementally and over time. Some start to accept it and it gets easier to take the next pill. The auction houses I'm afraid are having no problem and endorsing this for their own reasons. We have to think of it many years down the road and what it will turn into.

Re: Info on certified fur [Re: danny clifton] #6314078
08/30/18 01:15 PM
08/30/18 01:15 PM
Maine
M
mainer Offline
trapper
mainer  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
Originally Posted By: danny clifton
you would think the appease animal rights activist crowd would at least come up with a new fairy tale

They have. It's called Fur Certification and Traceability. It's the new Shangri-La for trappers and will transform our collective pursuits into a global paradise. Who knew that the European Union would come to our rescue and make us all rich...once again! smile

"...in a very few days we succeeded in taking over one hundred beaver, the skins of which were worth ten dollars per pound."
Jim Beckwourth (1856)
Re: Info on certified fur [Re: Rat Masterson] #6314088
08/30/18 01:27 PM
08/30/18 01:27 PM
idaho
W
wallfur Offline
trapper
wallfur  Offline
trapper
W

idaho
Originally Posted By: Rat Masterson
Wallfur just telling you what it is,make of it what you will. There are unethical people in the fur deal now and there always was and always will be, that's one thing that will never change.

Who is tagging them? I have not seen any.

Last edited by wallfur; 08/30/18 01:39 PM.
Re: Info on certified fur [Re: Marty B] #6314090
08/30/18 01:32 PM
08/30/18 01:32 PM
Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
W
walleyed Offline
trapper
walleyed  Offline
trapper
W

Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
Originally Posted By: Marty B

Sustainable My Arse !!! frown

That Alaskan Pollack Ground-Fishing Industry is Gradually killing Off Alaskan King Salmon Stocks which are a

Mega-Significant Accidental By-Catch of The Pollack Fishery.

The World Famous Kenai River King Salmon Sport Fishery in The Kenai River is A High Profile Casualty Of The

Allegedly Sustainable Alaskan Pollack Fishery.

Sustainabilty is just a buzzword adopted by marketers to sell a product.

In This Case, Sustainability is a Total Fabrication and A Multi-Milllion Dollar Sport Fishery is The Victim

Pure Propaganda.

w

Last edited by walleyed; 08/30/18 01:42 PM.

"Provisional/Interim" member of NYS Trappers Association
Jefferson Co. Fur Harvesters

I Support Non-Resident Trapping

Re: Info on certified fur [Re: Chamacat] #6314270
08/30/18 06:36 PM
08/30/18 06:36 PM
Timmins Ontario
G
gibb Offline
trapper
gibb  Offline
trapper
G

Timmins Ontario
Originally Posted By: Chamacat
Yep..I'll try this again..Does a mink farmer anywhere in the world have to comply with a signature also?

By 2020 mink farms will all be certified, much bigger process for mink farmers each farm has to be inspected, audited and certified. US mink farmers are in good shape, Canadian farmers just starting the process. Europe well on their way to being done.

Re: Info on certified fur [Re: etxwoods] #6314279
08/30/18 06:47 PM
08/30/18 06:47 PM
New Mexico
C
Chamacat Offline
trapper
Chamacat  Offline
trapper
C

New Mexico
THANK YOU GIBB..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Chamacat; 08/30/18 06:51 PM.

Re: Info on certified fur [Re: etxwoods] #6314281
08/30/18 06:49 PM
08/30/18 06:49 PM
New Mexico
C
Chamacat Offline
trapper
Chamacat  Offline
trapper
C

New Mexico
Yep..So it looks like everybody getting on "Get On"...Everybody getting off "Get Off"..LOL

Re: Info on certified fur [Re: etxwoods] #6314292
08/30/18 07:07 PM
08/30/18 07:07 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Our government decided truckdrivers were not smart enough to sleep once in a while. So they mandated computers to tell the drivers when to park and when to work. The guys causing all the problems are still in the back row of the truckstops smoking dope and playing with fancy ladies. Didn't effect them at all they don't work much anyway.

This is the same thing. A guy to lazy to check traps, put swivels in the chain or whatever is not going to stop doing those things he will just sign the letter. Meanwhile the honest trapper is still paying for the dishonest trappers shenanigains.

Still haven't had anybody show me the carrot in all this.

Re: Info on certified fur [Re: etxwoods] #6314345
08/30/18 08:27 PM
08/30/18 08:27 PM
idaho
W
wallfur Offline
trapper
wallfur  Offline
trapper
W

idaho
why?...because there is no carrot there. Danny

Last edited by wallfur; 08/30/18 08:28 PM.
Re: Info on certified fur [Re: danny clifton] #6314371
08/30/18 09:05 PM
08/30/18 09:05 PM
Illinois
ringtailtrapper Offline
trapper
ringtailtrapper  Offline
trapper

Illinois
Originally Posted By: danny clifton
Our government decided truckdrivers were not smart enough to sleep once in a while. So they mandated computers to tell the drivers when to park and when to work. The guys causing all the problems are still in the back row of the truckstops smoking dope and playing with fancy ladies. Didn't effect them at all they don't work much anyway.

This is the same thing. A guy to lazy to check traps, put swivels in the chain or whatever is not going to stop doing those things he will just sign the letter. Meanwhile the honest trapper is still paying for the dishonest trappers shenanigains.

Still haven't had anybody show me the carrot in all this.

No carrot Danny, but there is a turd for the trapper. The carrot goes to the end user in the form of sales via the marketing campaign they have set into motion.

RTT

For Sale, Quality Racing Possums
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread