No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Info on certified fur [Re: wallfur] #6314387
08/30/18 09:38 PM
08/30/18 09:38 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Online content
trapper
Steven 49er  Online Content
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
Originally Posted By: wallfur
Originally Posted By: Rat Masterson
Wallfur just telling you what it is,make of it what you will. There are unethical people in the fur deal now and there always was and always will be, that's one thing that will never change.

Who is tagging them? I have not seen any.

Are you direct selling any coyotes to CG?

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Info on certified fur [Re: etxwoods] #6314420
08/30/18 10:47 PM
08/30/18 10:47 PM
idaho
W
wallfur Offline
trapper
wallfur  Offline
trapper
W

idaho
sorry that's my business....not going to go there!

Re: Info on certified fur [Re: etxwoods] #6314437
08/30/18 11:18 PM
08/30/18 11:18 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Online content
trapper
Steven 49er  Online Content
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
Fair enough.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Info on certified fur [Re: etxwoods] #6314464
08/31/18 01:07 AM
08/31/18 01:07 AM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
Is Any body selling coyotes to CG? Direct sales or through NAFA?

Anybody?

Re: Info on certified fur [Re: etxwoods] #6314466
08/31/18 01:15 AM
08/31/18 01:15 AM
idaho
W
wallfur Offline
trapper
wallfur  Offline
trapper
W

idaho
CG will be buying at some western state auctions and yes there are some that sell direct.

Re: Info on certified fur [Re: etxwoods] #6314491
08/31/18 04:24 AM
08/31/18 04:24 AM
SE Kentucky
K
kytrapper Offline
trapper
kytrapper  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kentucky
I don’t have a problem with them buying at auctions. That’s a private company looking for a product to trim their jackets. It’s far over reaching though to try to make the entire nation comply to that. The BMP mental conditioning made this certification pill easier to accept. These type things happen incrementally if allowed to and then you wake up one day and wonder how it all happened.

Last edited by kytrapper; 08/31/18 04:27 AM. Reason: Ipad mispell
Re: Info on certified fur [Re: wallfur] #6314588
08/31/18 08:57 AM
08/31/18 08:57 AM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
Originally Posted By: wallfur
CG will be buying at some western state auctions and yes there are some that sell direct.
I asked that because a while back the guys on here that favor CG indicated that Cg bought the ruffs already made from other manufacturers. CG being the end user, so to speak.

Re: Info on certified fur [Re: gibb] #6314974
08/31/18 09:52 PM
08/31/18 09:52 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted By: gibb
Originally Posted By: Chamacat
Yep..I'll try this again..Does a mink farmer anywhere in the world have to comply with a signature also?

By 2020 mink farms will all be certified, much bigger process for mink farmers each farm has to be inspected, audited and certified. US mink farmers are in good shape, Canadian farmers just starting the process. Europe well on their way to being done.

When they are all certified, they will all be marketing the same product, like before with only more B.S. paper. They still will probably be selling most below production cost, especially since production costs of certification bologna will be added. I often wonder why business paints it self into a corner? crazy

Of course none of this is reactive; it's all proactive. Nobody is reacting to anti- ranch mink forces in Europe. blush

Who is John Galt?
Re: Info on certified fur [Re: etxwoods] #6315046
08/31/18 11:38 PM
08/31/18 11:38 PM
Illinois
ringtailtrapper Offline
trapper
ringtailtrapper  Offline
trapper

Illinois
Dirt makes a very valet point in regards to certification, we never know what will be the next requirement of trappers in order to remain certified. The big question who is doing the certifying ?? What body of authority is in charge of this so called certification, and if it's all done upon the honor system, then how long before someone with half a brain figures out that their certification is not worth the paper it's drawn up on, because the certification has no basis, just someone that has to answer a few questions with little or no proof to back up the statements.

I would think a trapper going through a state sponsored trapper education course, and having completed that course with a passing grade, that seems more like what I would call a real certification process than just answering a few question on a piece of paper. Has anyone ever thought that they might be making just to easy ?? Why would someone be so willing to give out such a credential with only answering a few questions ??

Could this be a means to like Dirt said, "paint someone into a corner", and maybe that someone is a trapper ?? Those that choose to sign such a document should at least get your attorney to give it a look over first, and see if there might be in anyway you could be held liable in some manner you might not be aware of. Fur buyers better also be on their toes with something like this in place, it might be the very thing to could in some way close the doors to every country buyer out there, but then again that would fit right into the play book of the company introducing this line of BS into our world.

RTT

For Sale, Quality Racing Possums
Re: Info on certified fur [Re: etxwoods] #6315143
09/01/18 07:30 AM
09/01/18 07:30 AM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
A trapper certification maybe all that is needed.Problem is not all states require Trappers ed.I think this thread has taken some wild twists and turns.Nobody has said they like thought of a "fur beauracacy".The fact is in this day and age almost all goods and commodities that are business transactions have regulation and paper work,so far its been the buyer that's had to deal with it and not the trapper.The fact that we've been able to escape it this far,considering how controversial it is is a miracle in itself.The question is how bad is it going to get,if we let the ARF's run AND WE DON'T GET INVOLVED,they will use it as an opportunity to finally get rid of it once and for all.Whats it going to be?

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: Info on certified fur [Re: etxwoods] #6315146
09/01/18 07:36 AM
09/01/18 07:36 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Here in KS it is illegal for a buyer not to obtain and record name and license # of every body he/she buys fur from. Nafa requires that on every bag of fur. Where is an auction going on at here in the states or in Canada, where that information is not required? I don't understand this traceability thing at all. See no way its a good thing. Very easy now to trace the source of fur.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Info on certified fur [Re: etxwoods] #6315149
09/01/18 07:41 AM
09/01/18 07:41 AM
SE Kentucky
K
kytrapper Offline
trapper
kytrapper  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kentucky
The rules and regulations painting us into a corner is exactly what I was talking about. I know with govt. regulated BMP’s at first suggested soon have a way of morphing into a law. I also know from where I work rules and regulations paint you into a corner to the point the actual job is forgotten about and left behind while you’re trying to adhere to all the hoops that you’ve been regulated to follow.
I am of the opinion that each STATE should manage their wildlife, all states are different and no national broad reaching rules should apply, and if you are a legal licensed trapper in that STATE that is enough to satisfy all parties involved. That is why 30 years ago I was highly suspect of the BMP process and this latest marketing ploy I see as a back door effort to achieve the goal they’ve had for decades. But, I’m just a dumb ole hillbilly.

Last edited by kytrapper; 09/01/18 07:43 AM. Reason: iPad can’t spell
Re: Info on certified fur [Re: etxwoods] #6315166
09/01/18 08:16 AM
09/01/18 08:16 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Starting with cites then bmp and now this. All were supposed to appease the soccer moms we need to have wearing fur. Yet pretty much all anyone ever hears still to this day is that animals are tortured for their fur. This aint gonna change anything.

It could very well hurt us however. Its still illegal to import seal products,and any sort of ivory. No matter there is no ecological basis for it. Anybody with a cell phone internet connection can find that out but its still illegal. People for the most part think polar bear populations are dwindling. They just got an injunction to stop grizzly bear hunting. How does this traceability thing alleviate ignorance??????????????????

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Info on certified fur [Re: etxwoods] #6315176
09/01/18 08:33 AM
09/01/18 08:33 AM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
If all states had a Trapper Ed.that maybe all that would be required.Go back and read PSB'S and Don's take on this again:nobody likes this,and ,yes,its a lot of political nonsense.But ignoring what's facing us is not going to make it go away.Kytrapper,we're all dumb ole hillbillies.We'd love it if it could just go back to the way things used to be,more common sense and less nonsense.Before the anti's had political muscle.Before our game dept.'s became politically correct and started with seasons and quotas that made no sense but are paraded under the banner "scientific wildlife management".Unfortunatly,we live in the 21st century trying to protect an age old rural tradition in a 21st century urban society.

Re: Info on certified fur [Re: etxwoods] #6315182
09/01/18 08:43 AM
09/01/18 08:43 AM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
CITIES was forced on us thru the Endangered Species Act,nothing voluntary there.

Re: Info on certified fur [Re: etxwoods] #6315187
09/01/18 08:59 AM
09/01/18 08:59 AM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa

Re: Info on certified fur [Re: etxwoods] #6315205
09/01/18 09:22 AM
09/01/18 09:22 AM
New Mexico
C
Chamacat Offline
trapper
Chamacat  Offline
trapper
C

New Mexico
Yep..Knowing what's on the other side..Why would you jump through the hoop in the first place..LOL...Good post Hippie..

I can catch them here...I can catch them ANYWHERE
Re: Info on certified fur [Re: etxwoods] #6315250
09/01/18 11:00 AM
09/01/18 11:00 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
I know I'm supposed to be a NAFA hater because I post critically about some of their less than savory business practices and some stuff they do that is plain goofy IMO, but I don't think NAFA is leading the charge on this. They could have done this right when CG wanted it. Vision 2020 looks like a delaying tactic to shine a customer they got caught lying to about the source of their coyotes. Or maybe CG's marketing of Canadian certified coyotes was their own lie?

Certifying the welfare of animals on farms cannot be compared to certifying the various methods of harvest of a wild animal. IMO

P.S. I like how guys on here who painted themselves into the "Mandatory Trapper Ed" corner, are trying to use this as cover. I guess that ain't going to work. blush

Last edited by Dirt; 09/01/18 11:04 AM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Info on certified fur [Re: danny clifton] #6315254
09/01/18 11:14 AM
09/01/18 11:14 AM
Maine
M
mainer Offline
trapper
mainer  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
Originally Posted By: danny clifton
Here in KS it is illegal for a buyer not to obtain and record name and license # of every body he/she buys fur from. Nafa requires that on every bag of fur. Where is an auction going on at here in the states or in Canada, where that information is not required? I don't understand this traceability thing at all. See no way its a good thing. Very easy now to trace the source of fur.

Traceability and certification are two sides of the same coin, with certification being the real concern here. Canada's system is the template for certification. So it's not simply certifying that trappers are following the rules; it's the certification of the types of traps and methods we can and cannot use that'll virtually end our use of footholds as we know it today.

If we adopted anything close to what the Canadian system is requiring in the next several years, you can say goodbye to the footholds we're using now - Victor Soft Catches will be our future. Two posts on that topic:

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads....ona#Post6284113
https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads....ona#Post6284337

"...in a very few days we succeeded in taking over one hundred beaver, the skins of which were worth ten dollars per pound."
Jim Beckwourth (1856)
Re: Info on certified fur [Re: etxwoods] #6315266
09/01/18 11:25 AM
09/01/18 11:25 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I'd buy new traps if 100 KS coyotes would again buy a new 4wd pickup. I don't see that happening. No matter what some people will always think if they drive around a section of prairie and don't see a coyote its cause there aint one there. That killing them is morally wrong and trappers and hunters are destroying the "balance of nature".

Im not sure how to change their perception. Truth isn't working. They live in a world of concrete and asphalt. TV is reality to them. Look at some of the Tman posts. TV is reality on here too, at least to many.

If we get American and Canadian women wearing fur we have a market again. Simple as that. Many women in the rest of the world will follow their lead. Except maybe places like England. England is a morass of nut cases. I think they may have San Francisco beat.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread