No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Info on certified fur [Re: Buck (Zandra)] #6315273
09/01/18 11:35 AM
09/01/18 11:35 AM
Illinois
ringtailtrapper Offline
trapper
ringtailtrapper  Offline
trapper

Illinois
Originally Posted By: Buck (Zandra)
CITIES was forced on us thru the Endangered Species Act,nothing voluntary there.

Buck, the difference with CITIES and this is night and day. The CITIES is managed via the USFWS, and the individual state DNR's, and departments of fish & wildlife, so there is a body of authority managing it, all via the endangered species act. This thing they call certification is not even close.

RTT

For Sale, Quality Racing Possums
Re: Info on certified fur [Re: tjm] #6315277
09/01/18 11:43 AM
09/01/18 11:43 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted By: tjm
the stuff being passed around a year or two ago was about trappers certifying them selves; no certification or tracabilty of fur at all; just trappers signing a form stating they complied with AHITS. 2,3, 4, 5,6, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14,
and 16 are questions that are irrelevant or pertain only to Canada.

So what happens if you answer NO to #4?

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Info on certified fur [Re: Dirt] #6315278
09/01/18 11:58 AM
09/01/18 11:58 AM
Illinois
ringtailtrapper Offline
trapper
ringtailtrapper  Offline
trapper

Illinois
Originally Posted By: Dirt
I know I'm supposed to be a NAFA hater because I post critically about some of their less than savory business practices and some stuff they do that is plain goofy IMO, but I don't think NAFA is leading the charge on this. They could have done this right when CG wanted it. Vision 2020 looks like a delaying tactic to shine a customer they got caught lying to about the source of their coyotes. Or maybe CG's marketing of Canadian certified coyotes was their own lie?

Certifying the welfare of animals on farms cannot be compared to certifying the various methods of harvest of a wild animal. IMO

P.S. I like how guys on here who painted themselves into the "Mandatory Trapper Ed" corner, are trying to use this as cover. I guess that ain't going to work. blush

Dirt, the mandatory trapper education corner you speak of was in many cases is the one thing that has kept trapping alive in several states, especially states with more liberal politics in place. Liberals love nothing more than education, just look how screwed up most of the colleges are now days as an example. This played right into the liberal ideology, and how could they stand for education on one matter, and be opposed the next.

We also have to understand that trapper education is mostly managed, and put forth by trappers within the respected states. The state agency's in most cases are just managing the process, and individual trappers, and trapping associations are doing the foot work. A lot of volunteer work goes into many of these courses, and most of the time those putting them on go above, and beyond what is required, or expected of someone.

Dirt, not trying to paint my way into the trapper education corner, but I do like using the tools of other people to paint them into their own corner.

RTT

Re: Info on certified fur [Re: yotetrapper30] #6315281
09/01/18 12:07 PM
09/01/18 12:07 PM
Illinois
ringtailtrapper Offline
trapper
ringtailtrapper  Offline
trapper

Illinois
Originally Posted By: yotetrapper30
the stuff being passed around a year or two ago was about trappers certifying them selves; no certification or tracabilty of fur at all; just trappers signing a form stating they complied with AHITS. 2,3, 4, 5,6, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14,
and 16 are questions that are irrelevant or pertain only to Canada.

So what happens if you answer NO to #4?

Good question Angela, and what happens if you answer it lets say not so truthfully ?? Is there repercussions for such action ?? This is a private company, so could legal action via civil court be in order ?? Makes one think that at times this is exactly what someone is wishing for.

RTT

Re: Info on certified fur [Re: ringtailtrapper] #6315292
09/01/18 12:32 PM
09/01/18 12:32 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted By: ringtailtrapper
Originally Posted By: Dirt
I know I'm supposed to be a NAFA hater because I post critically about some of their less than savory business practices and some stuff they do that is plain goofy IMO, but I don't think NAFA is leading the charge on this. They could have done this right when CG wanted it. Vision 2020 looks like a delaying tactic to shine a customer they got caught lying to about the source of their coyotes. Or maybe CG's marketing of Canadian certified coyotes was their own lie?

Certifying the welfare of animals on farms cannot be compared to certifying the various methods of harvest of a wild animal. IMO

P.S. I like how guys on here who painted themselves into the "Mandatory Trapper Ed" corner, are trying to use this as cover. I guess that ain't going to work. blush

Dirt, the mandatory trapper education corner you speak of was in many cases is the one thing that has kept trapping alive in several states, especially states with more liberal politics in place. Liberals love nothing more than education, just look how screwed up most of the colleges are now days as an example. This played right into the liberal ideology, and how could they stand for education on one matter, and be opposed the next.

We also have to understand that trapper education is mostly managed, and put forth by trappers within the respected states. The state agency's in most cases are just managing the process, and individual trappers, and trapping associations are doing the foot work. A lot of volunteer work goes into many of these courses, and most of the time those putting them on go above, and beyond what is required, or expected of someone.

Dirt, not trying to paint my way into the trapper education corner, but I do like using the tools of other people to paint them into their own corner.

RTT

I agree older trappers did this to younger trappers, as the older trappers exempted themselves. The reasons they painted trappers in this corner also includes discouraging competition. Same reason Boco loves Certification as he sees this hurting his competition in America. He's still looking for the big payoff for painting himself into the AHITS corner.

Last edited by Dirt; 09/01/18 12:36 PM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Info on certified fur [Re: Chamacat] #6315302
09/01/18 12:47 PM
09/01/18 12:47 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Originally Posted By: Chamacat
Yep..Knowing what's on the other side..Why would you jump through the hoop in the first place..LOL...Good post Hippie..

A picture is worth a thousand words.

After the last thread about this where supposedly educated people didn't understand my pound sand post, i thought maybe a picture would help them. smile

This is nothing but getting around the state laws to enforce their own, as i related to on the other thread.

Have at'r boys, make the quick buck at the next generations expense.

Re: Info on certified fur [Re: etxwoods] #6315305
09/01/18 12:50 PM
09/01/18 12:50 PM
Manitoba
M
Mbcoyote Offline
trapper
Mbcoyote  Offline
trapper
M

Manitoba
It's not gonna make fur worth a penny more. My fox caught in Rams are avaeraging $9. Marten and Fisher in the fancy Belisles are not selling for more than any other ones. If a single Canadian here can honestly say theyre getting more for there aihts certified caught fur please speak up and enlighten us to where you're selling. Market and fur quality dictate what is gonna be paid for a fur. There is a market for coyote now, and market will always dictate what is gonna be paid for a skin. A coon caught here in a 220 Belisle sure ain't worth much right now. (Cus there's no market, I suspect😊)

Re: Info on certified fur [Re: Mbcoyote] #6315307
09/01/18 12:52 PM
09/01/18 12:52 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted By: Mbcoyote
A coon caught here in a 220 Belisle sure ain't worth much right now. (Cus there's no market, I suspect😊)

Probably less than an Iowa coon caught in a non-BMP-approved 1.5 coilspring, at that.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Info on certified fur [Re: etxwoods] #6315308
09/01/18 12:59 PM
09/01/18 12:59 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
I doubt very many Iowa coon
are caught to BMP standards. Ones on a drowner yes, but after that, very few.

Last edited by hippie; 09/01/18 01:00 PM.
Re: Info on certified fur [Re: etxwoods] #6315315
09/01/18 01:12 PM
09/01/18 01:12 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I took a lot of flak for not getting behind BMP. Was told if I participated a college kid I didn't know was going to ride along with me to do the recording.(bobcats) That clinched it. Wasn't interested. Still don't see how it was or is a boon to trapping.

The story at the time was we would have evidence to show soccer moms that trapping was not inhumane.

I don't see how doubling down with the certifiability traceability is going to be any different.

We already have laws and law enforcement protecting wildlife. This BS isn't going to change a womans mind on whether or not to buy a red fox stroller or a coon trimmed parka

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Info on certified fur [Re: Mbcoyote] #6315324
09/01/18 01:47 PM
09/01/18 01:47 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted By: Mbcoyote
It's not gonna make fur worth a penny more. My fox caught in Rams are avaeraging $9. Marten and Fisher in the fancy Belisles are not selling for more than any other ones. If a single Canadian here can honestly say theyre getting more for there aihts certified caught fur please speak up and enlighten us to where you're selling. Market and fur quality dictate what is gonna be paid for a fur. There is a market for coyote now, and market will always dictate what is gonna be paid for a skin. A coon caught here in a 220 Belisle sure ain't worth much right now. (Cus there's no market, I suspect😊)

I'm not even sure "Genuine McKenzie Valley" branded marten bring any more than Armpit marten. I think they get inter sorted with mine?

Who is John Galt?
Re: Info on certified fur [Re: danny clifton] #6315335
09/01/18 02:03 PM
09/01/18 02:03 PM
Maine
M
mainer Offline
trapper
mainer  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
Originally Posted By: danny clifton
If we get American and Canadian women [and men] wearing fur we have a market again. Simple as that. Many women in the rest of the world will follow their lead.

And we'd also have a broader cross section of people willing to listen to our message. People generally don't care about an issue unless it impacts their lives in some way. They'd rather be emotionally manipulated by an ASPCA commercial with Sarah McLachlan singing in the background because it doesn't require thinking or effort.

"...in a very few days we succeeded in taking over one hundred beaver, the skins of which were worth ten dollars per pound."
Jim Beckwourth (1856)
Re: Info on certified fur [Re: etxwoods] #6315349
09/01/18 02:31 PM
09/01/18 02:31 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
This past winter I was in Macys had to walk through the women's section the was a lot of fur and fur trimmed garments. Curiosity got me I looked to see if real or not. The real ones were labeled either 100% real ranched "xxxx" fur. Then there was one's labeled 100% real wild caught "xxxx" fur. I was surprised and started thinking that's awesome and was proud to be a part of a community like trapping

Re: Info on certified fur [Re: hippie] #6315363
09/01/18 03:13 PM
09/01/18 03:13 PM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
Originally Posted By: hippie
I read on the internet that raccoons could not be caught in a submersion set under BMP. I searched the fishwildlife.org site and can find no place approving any traps for raccoons in a submersion set. Dog-proof and double jawed footholds do meet those standards (with limitations-1.5 &11) You might be wrong in your guess.

Re: Info on certified fur [Re: mainer] #6315365
09/01/18 03:15 PM
09/01/18 03:15 PM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
Originally Posted By: mainer
Originally Posted By: danny clifton
If we get American and Canadian women [and men] wearing fur we have a market again. Simple as that. Many women in the rest of the world will follow their lead.

And we'd also have a broader cross section of people willing to listen to our message. People generally don't care about an issue unless it impacts their lives in some way. They'd rather be emotionally manipulated by an ASPCA commercial with Sarah McLachlan singing in the background because it doesn't require thinking or effort.
So how many of us wear any fur on a regular basis? I do wear a felt hat if that counts.

Re: Info on certified fur [Re: tjm] #6315378
09/01/18 03:47 PM
09/01/18 03:47 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Originally Posted By: hippie
I read on the internet that raccoons could not be caught in a submersion set under BMP. I searched the fishwildlife.org site and can find no place approving any traps for raccoons in a submersion set. Dog-proof and double jawed footholds do meet those standards (with limitations-1.5 &11) You might be wrong in your guess.

Could be.

Under "submersion trapping systems" i take it that it's acceptable method. If not, that's even more that don't make the requirment.
https://www.pgc.pa.gov/HuntTrap/TrappingandFurbearers/Documents/Introduction%20to%20BMPs.pdf

Re: Info on certified fur [Re: etxwoods] #6315396
09/01/18 04:12 PM
09/01/18 04:12 PM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
Quote:
standard for submersion trapping systems is that the
equipment must prevent the animal from surfacing once it has submerged.
from your link.
It was said that coons float, idk, I'm a dry land feller. I do know that for mink, muskrat, otter etc there are approved submersion traps, and I can find none for coons or opossums.

Re: Info on certified fur [Re: etxwoods] #6315413
09/01/18 04:31 PM
09/01/18 04:31 PM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
I had always considered submersion to be acceptable for coons til this trapper brought up that BMP would cause problems with coons taken in submersion sets for other animals. iirc, he was one of the trappers involved in testing for BMP.
I can't get behind cage traps being humane for coons at all, but they approved them. Met the EU standards, I guess.
There are so many problems with letting people that have never seen a live wild animal set standards for their treatment. One big one is the widely varying circumstances involved with each animal and region of the world, there are traps approved for raccoons in the south east that are not approved for use in the mid-west or north.

Re: Info on certified fur [Re: etxwoods] #6315415
09/01/18 04:41 PM
09/01/18 04:41 PM
SE Kentucky
K
kytrapper Offline
trapper
kytrapper  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kentucky
So there you go. We know as trappers submersion is fine but SOMEONE that has some say in the matter says no and f implemented that’s gone as a method for us. Then someone else a few years down the road decides some other one trap or method is not acceptable and we lose that. Or next, otters will be in the group with coons, Its death by small cuts guys and it’s happening right before our eyes like the gun control agenda and many saying that’s not going to happen. We’re evidently letting it happen by accepting small things bit by bit.

Re: Info on certified fur [Re: etxwoods] #6315468
09/01/18 06:25 PM
09/01/18 06:25 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Exactly