Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Cheap bait for canine pre-baiting [Re: The Beav] #6330024
09/21/18 01:06 PM
09/21/18 01:06 PM
North Central Idaho
Jumperzee Offline
trapper
Jumperzee  Offline
trapper

North Central Idaho
Originally Posted By: The Beav
Road killed deer, can you legally move them to a different location?

In Idaho, yes. We need to fill out a salvage permit and notify the local CO though.

Re: Cheap bait for canine pre-baiting [Re: Teacher] #6330128
09/21/18 04:34 PM
09/21/18 04:34 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
WE can do that to But now with all this CWD problems I don't know If we can do It any more.
In WIS we can't place any scent or bait during the closed season. So pre baiting Is a no no for us.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Cheap bait for canine pre-baiting [Re: Jumperzee] #6331531
09/23/18 06:18 PM
09/23/18 06:18 PM
Meridian , ID
B
Badgerman50 Offline
trapper
Badgerman50  Offline
trapper
B

Meridian , ID
Originally Posted By: Jumperzee
Interesting thread. I'm looking forward to trying some of Badgermans oil sets this year on wolf. I run a lot of bait but like pointed out above, most goes to other critters long before the target animal arrives. I've put out thousands of pounds of bait (cow guts) only to have the ravens eat it all surprisingly quick. The area still functions as a draw station and I set it back a ways. Sometimes I pre bait by burying butcher scraps, but prefer just to set it.

These are one week after the original prebaiting with oil. These pictures are from yesterday when I did my second pour. It gives the dogs a chance to run around. I'll do it a few more times. I also bury meat scrap under the oil. These holes were originally about 6-8" wide and maybe 10" deep. Just figure one solid scoop from a tile spade. Out of 20 locations 19 got dug out. Just a matter of time for the one left alone. What's funny is the old holes from last year and years before that are still getting visited. I guess this begs the question of whether I need to continue prebaiting since those locations are now on the regular route. Before I started this, I'd get catches at about 1/4 of my locations. The last few years, I've caught stuff at nearly all of them. I don't have skunks or possums to worry about. I do have badgers and if I use urine, jackrabbits. Jumper, the birds won't touch cooking oil as far as I can tell.

Badgerman
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91