No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: How much $ to retire [Re: hrdtoflw] #6316951
09/03/18 08:41 PM
09/03/18 08:41 PM
MO
T
Timber Hole Offline
trapper
Timber Hole  Offline
trapper
T

MO
I retire in two days so I値l decide whether it was a good decision on Thursday. I do intend to work part time but if I feel like heading to the woods, I知 going. I can make a case for working longer but I finally decided it was time to enjoy some of what I have worked for.

Re: How much $ to retire [Re: Timber Hole] #6317004
09/03/18 09:20 PM
09/03/18 09:20 PM
Warren co Mo
H
hrdtoflw Offline OP
trapper
hrdtoflw  Offline OP
trapper
H

Warren co Mo
Originally Posted By: Timber Hole
I retire in two days so I値l decide whether it was a good decision on Thursday. I do intend to work part time but if I feel like heading to the woods, I知 going. I can make a case for working longer but I finally decided it was time to enjoy some of what I have worked for.

Good for you. Go get life like you own it. You earned it, and that is the final word. I will be the same way when my time gets here. CONGRATS to you!!!

If your mind draws a blank, turn off the sound, because ya can't learn a thing if you're doin all the talkin
Re: How much $ to retire [Re: Timber Hole] #6317080
09/03/18 10:55 PM
09/03/18 10:55 PM
MT
S
snowy Offline
trapper
snowy  Offline
trapper
S

MT
Originally Posted By: Timber Hole
I retire in two days so I’ll decide whether it was a good decision on Thursday. I do intend to work part time but if I feel like heading to the woods, I’m going. I can make a case for working longer but I finally decided it was time to enjoy some of what I have worked for.

That is great! I wish you well and you will find your way. It may take some adjustments but you will soon find that freedom.

Now you are the boss, everyday, do it your way.

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: How much $ to retire [Re: hrdtoflw] #6317081
09/03/18 10:56 PM
09/03/18 10:56 PM
Meridian , ID
B
Badgerman50 Offline
trapper
Badgerman50  Offline
trapper
B

Meridian , ID
Our passive income exceeds the amount we need to live on by a few thousand a month. Next year I値l be eligible to draw a small pension. All our money is tied up in rentals. The trouble is we池e used to making the money my job brings in as well. While we could make it without my income, it would be a definite hit in lifestyle. If it was solely up to me, I壇 be gone now. Any talk about early retirement makes my wife nervous as all get out. I知 54 as of this week. Some people in my family live until they池e 90 and others dropped dead in their 30痴. So who knows. Definitely something to think about.

Badgerman
Re: How much $ to retire [Re: Badgerman50] #6317098
09/03/18 11:18 PM
09/03/18 11:18 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Online content
trapper
bblwi  Online Content
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Somewhat the same in my situation. The males in my family (both sides) average about 67 when they die. Most really lived hard and I am 70. On my wife's side of the family the women live into their mid 90s plus regularly. No matter how successful one is and saves it takes a lot of money to live 25 to 30 years plus in retirement.
I have some limited LTC insurance from my job. My wife did not qualify. I probably won't need or use LTC but my wife very well may so yes putting aside and or not spending several 100K for her in later life has been an aim and a goal. Good thing I grew up very poor as it is not a sacrifice for me to do without what many feel they need or want.

Bryce

Re: How much $ to retire [Re: hrdtoflw] #6317389
09/04/18 11:17 AM
09/04/18 11:17 AM
MN
Y
yukonal Offline
trapper
yukonal  Offline
trapper
Y

MN
I retired this year at 57, and am busier than when I was working. I make a "to do" list weekly. When it is all crossed off, I make another one. Between competitive rifle shooting, reloading, competitive fishing, fun fishing, hunting, trapping, welding, wood working projects, home improvement projects, food plotting, working on and maintaining 4 vehicles, yard work and landscaping, putting up firewood, BBQ'ing and smoking meat, visiting my 80 some year old parents weekly, and helping them with the farm...I barely have time to eat supper and go to bed. And...I left out a few other things that I do weekly. whistle

I went to New Zealand this May, hunting Red Stag and Himalayan Tahr. Next year it is an African Safari for plains game. 2020 will be grizzly bear in Alaska. And so it will go until I tip over.

The original question was...how much to retire? There is no set price for everyone. Financially, I can do it...so I did. I spent the last 26 years running heavy equipment, and all the bouncing and banging around is taking a toll. I'm starting to slow down...I can feel it. I'm going to enjoy it while I can.

Last edited by yukonal; 09/04/18 11:18 AM.
Re: How much $ to retire [Re: hrdtoflw] #6317408
09/04/18 11:56 AM
09/04/18 11:56 AM
wantage n.j.
E
eric space Offline
trapper
eric space  Offline
trapper
E

wantage n.j.
I am 66 and don't want to retire. I like working. I switch jobs every once in the while just to keep it challenging. Right now I liquidate timeshares (its all drafting and recording deeds then mailing them to the resort). Easy computer job, I work out of the house and can make my own hours. My dad still works some each day and he will be 90 on the 28th of this month.

Re: How much $ to retire [Re: hrdtoflw] #6317426
09/04/18 12:25 PM
09/04/18 12:25 PM
Norborne MO
B
BBarnes Offline
trapper
BBarnes  Offline
trapper
B

Norborne MO
As a friend of mine said after retiring, it's not how much you need to retire, it's how much you can do with out. He said he's not talking about the things you enjoy, it's how your priorities changes.

As others have said clean out the junk, if you haven't used it in last 1-2 years its gone. I have another friend that within 5 years of his retirement he began going off grid, solar panels, water well etc. He basically disconnected and made sure vehicle and property was paid off before retiring. His advise, set a plan and stick with it what ever you decide.

B

Re: How much $ to retire [Re: hrdtoflw] #6317466
09/04/18 01:12 PM
09/04/18 01:12 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
When you retire you should have way more disposable income than when you are working.No mortgage,no kids to raise,no college fund,everything paid off,no debt,lower tax bracket,and a slush fund bank account.Even if you have a bit less monthly income when your retired,the expenses should be way less than when you are younger paying a mortgage,and raising kids.
Also,just because you retired from a steady job,doesnt mean you have to blimp out in front of the TV.You can work at what you want,when you want and how much or little you want(Trapping fits in very well especially if your young enough when you retire).Also volunteer for church or trapping org,etc.

Last edited by Boco; 09/04/18 01:17 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: How much $ to retire [Re: hrdtoflw] #6317475
09/04/18 01:26 PM
09/04/18 01:26 PM

O
Oh Snap
Unregistered
Oh Snap
Unregistered
O

Stay working as long as you can. Keep your mind busy, you will stay younger and live longer!

Re: How much $ to retire [Re: ] #6317491
09/04/18 01:43 PM
09/04/18 01:43 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Online content
trapper
bblwi  Online Content
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
One of the things we are seeing in a service related economy which means work is much more variable in physical demand is that many now realize that retirement is more or less something they many never afford and thus are finding careers that let them work longer or work in places where change in hours and tasks is desired. Many will figure out how to do the things while employed and younger and healthier and thus can and will work much longer into their lives. SS will be a pay raise for many as they continue to work and downsize their employment over time. Cost of living and paying for major stuff such as health care, housing, travel, family costs like weddings, funerals and education will demand higher spending while working and so why not work. I spend a lot of time doing many physically active things some of which make a small net income for me to use. Most of the healthy retired people I know are doing some to a lot of retirement work. Some because it is fun, some due to financial need.
The ones that do the least around me are retired long term factory workers who did work hard while working and their bodies are not working well but due to their belief that they worked that hard they do little and complain more about the cost of living and the state of the world.

Bryce

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread