No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Staking coyotes in sand question [Re: Trapset] #6314844
08/31/18 06:03 PM
08/31/18 06:03 PM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
Back when i used short chain because shorter is better,they told me with earth anchors so did, then on a set , i set every year for cats I put in cross staked 2 18"wolf fangs on 8" of chain caught lion for a little while in Bridger 3 2 coiled lion pulled the 2 crossed staked wolf dang anchors the lion weighed 176 lbs fwp said do know houndsman I said yes. So I call one got my trap back.
So for that reason I use long chain if a critter can not get over a stake to pump the stake is my thinking.
Not this haz anything to do with staking in sand.
Just explaining how I got to my reasoning.
Sorry for off topic

Kenneth schoening
Re: Staking coyotes in sand question [Re: Trapset] #6314949
08/31/18 09:08 PM
08/31/18 09:08 PM
N.E. Nebr
L
LDW Offline
trapper
LDW  Offline
trapper
L

N.E. Nebr
I use wolffangs with 18 inches of cable. Maybe I'm just lucky, have never had one pulled up yet.

Re: Staking coyotes in sand question [Re: Trapset] #6315030
08/31/18 11:15 PM
08/31/18 11:15 PM
KS
N
Nate Dawg Offline
trapper
Nate Dawg  Offline
trapper
N

KS
I have a pile of 36" rebar and some 42", and that's what I cross stake with in sand. No way would I trust a disposable in pure sand. I've tested to see which I could pull easier in sand - cross staked long rebar vs. wolf fang, and the cross staked rebar is better by far. I do run wolf fangs on 90% of my traps, but always leave a couple dozen traps with just the chestnut rings so I can double stake when I hit a loose sandy spot.

Re: Staking coyotes in sand question [Re: Trapset] #6315047
08/31/18 11:43 PM
08/31/18 11:43 PM
NE
S
sandhillscoyotes Offline
trapper
sandhillscoyotes  Offline
trapper
S

NE
I usually torch the holes in sickle sections we use them as deadmen in our five wire fencelines in wet meadow ground and they hold really well plus its cheap if you need sections ive got plenty

Re: Staking coyotes in sand question [Re: Trapset] #6315525
09/01/18 07:59 PM
09/01/18 07:59 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
took the family to the beach yesterday I had been thinking about this, grabbed my shovel I had a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder disc worn down to about 2 1/2 inches I put a loop pf twine through the hole shoved a stick through it and then buried it in the sand about 16 inches deep patting down the sand as I filled the hole

then I stuck the handle of the shovel through the twine and pulled it started to move then stopped I would guess I got about 50 pounds of pull on it just before the twine broke , I had to dig the disk out

I think if you burred a 9 inch pie pan with a j-hook through it in the middle with a fender washer so ti didn't pull through you would be unable to pull it up buried 16 inches deep without some kind of lever

if you added a plastic bucket lid with a hole in the center slid over the chain just under the trap I think you would curb most digging when they hit the bucket lid and it would bee light and really hold especially if you had a swivel so that it was just above the bucket lid when pulled on and enough chain so they could never pull up only sideways.

it wouldn't have to be a pie pan but anything like it or similar in diameter could be plywood or anything that the j-hook with fender washer wouldn't pull through.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Staking coyotes in sand question [Re: Trapset] #6315538
09/01/18 08:27 PM
09/01/18 08:27 PM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
Am I understanding right that the op is pulling up 2" pogos pulling from the side?

-Goofy-
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread