No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Question for the Christian intellectuals on here.. [Re: slydogx] #6315141
09/01/18 07:25 AM
09/01/18 07:25 AM
perry co.Pa
wetdog Offline
trapper
wetdog  Offline
trapper

perry co.Pa
I truly believe you can have all God's grace and all God's peace without trying to find all God's answers. He will reveal them to you in his time

Re: Question for the Christian intellectuals on here.. [Re: slydogx] #6315167
09/01/18 08:21 AM
09/01/18 08:21 AM
Ontario, Canada
S
slydogx Offline OP
trapper
slydogx  Offline OP
trapper
S

Ontario, Canada
I should clarify, I'm not out shopping for a salvation doctrine to adhere to, just trying to learn about which ones are out there and possibly encounter a point of view I had not considered.
All of the responses so far have been great and are much appreciated.

Just happy to be here.
Re: Question for the Christian intellectuals on here.. [Re: slydogx] #6315173
09/01/18 08:25 AM
09/01/18 08:25 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Quote:
are there other completely different dogmas to consider

The number of dogmas (a principle or set of principles laid down by an authority as incontrovertibly true) have never been counted. Has to number in the thousands. Google creation stories. You will get a pile of them.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Question for the Christian intellectuals on here.. [Re: slydogx] #6315175
09/01/18 08:32 AM
09/01/18 08:32 AM
PA
P
PAskinner Offline
trapper
PAskinner  Offline
trapper
P

PA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH1Y7E5HYCc

Good, ten minute explanation of the different views..keeps it simple but does a good job, and he's entertaining!

Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.
Re: Question for the Christian intellectuals on here.. [Re: slydogx] #6315181
09/01/18 08:42 AM
09/01/18 08:42 AM
Southern Wisconsin
F
Fishdog One Offline
trapper
Fishdog One  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Wisconsin
I know I was clanged in my twenties by the grace of God and his sons blood shed for me. Hate to think of what prison I could be in now if it had not been for that change. As far as present views I will let other people sort it out for themselves, I have seen people more kind and loving by nature than others are by Gods work in their lives for decades. That does not seem to fit but it is an observation, and God will sort it all out some day.

Born twice, die once
Re: Question for the Christian intellectuals on here.. [Re: slydogx] #6315269
09/01/18 11:27 AM
09/01/18 11:27 AM
PA
R
RKG Offline
trapper
RKG  Offline
trapper
R

PA
Alistair Begg did a great sermon on this that I heard on the radio this week. Here was his final comment:

When the thief on the cross entered into paradise, if he was asked these questions, what was his response?

"Did you know/understand that you were chosen from before the foundation of the world?" "No, I did not."
"Did you know/comprehend that you had free will and could accept or reject the gift of salvation?" "No, I did not."
"Do you have any knowledge of the theology of soteriology, and how the whole salvation process works?" "No, I don't."
"Then why are you here?"

"Because the man on the middle cross said I could come here. That was good enough for me."

Re: Question for the Christian intellectuals on here.. [Re: slydogx] #6315276
09/01/18 11:40 AM
09/01/18 11:40 AM
PA
P
PAskinner Offline
trapper
PAskinner  Offline
trapper
P

PA
But the thief on the cross still made a choice to listen to Jesus instead of mocking him. In fact, he asked for salvation before Jesus granted it. Sounds like he was an arminian after all. smile

Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.
Re: Question for the Christian intellectuals on here.. [Re: RKG] #6315387
09/01/18 03:54 PM
09/01/18 03:54 PM
Indiana
B
brianmall Offline
trapper
brianmall  Offline
trapper
B

Indiana
Originally Posted By: RKG
Alistair Begg did a great sermon on this that I heard on the radio this week. Here was his final comment:

When the thief on the cross entered into paradise, if he was asked these questions, what was his response?

"Did you know/understand that you were chosen from before the foundation of the world?" "No, I did not."
"Did you know/comprehend that you had free will and could accept or reject the gift of salvation?" "No, I did not."
"Do you have any knowledge of the theology of soteriology, and how the whole salvation process works?" "No, I don't."
"Then why are you here?"

"Because the man on the middle cross said I could come here. That was good enough for me."

Pretty much it in a nut shell! But why didn't the other thief make it? Because there was a heart felt repentance and belief with the thief u mention and not with the other! One thief knew Jesus was innocent and believed the other could not of cared less.

There are several verses throughout the old testament before Christ that mention specific individuals walking with the Lord, believing in the Lord, and feeling unworthy (repentance).

It's not that Christ "says" you can as in you have no choice in the matter. It's that Christ Blood was shed for all who repent and "believe". We will all be judged. But not all of us will be found justified to enter into Heaven (even if you believe). You have to understand what you believe! The Jews for the most part believe in God but not Jesus Christ. They will go to H3ll with that belief!

We are told that all who believe in Christ (His Shed Blood) will be found justified, worthy, without sin, and will enter into Heaven.

Satan believes but will not and did not repent due to pride. (So it's not even a belief in God that saves)

It's a belief coupled with humbleness to let go of your pride and realize you "need" a savior. That savior being Jesus Christ the Nazarene born of a virgin in Bethlehem.

Last edited by brianmall; 09/01/18 03:59 PM.
Re: Question for the Christian intellectuals on here.. [Re: slydogx] #6315393
09/01/18 04:03 PM
09/01/18 04:03 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
If God really wanted people to know how things are, would He just not tell us?

Keith

Re: Question for the Christian intellectuals on here.. [Re: KeithC] #6315397
09/01/18 04:13 PM
09/01/18 04:13 PM
Indiana
B
brianmall Offline
trapper
brianmall  Offline
trapper
B

Indiana
Originally Posted By: KeithC

Keith

Lost me

What ya mean?

Re: Question for the Christian intellectuals on here.. [Re: brianmall] #6315567
09/01/18 09:06 PM
09/01/18 09:06 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
My opinion(s) regarding this question. I believe that many people believe in a God that is far, far too small. There seems to be a need by and for many to attach very exact and or exclusive thoughts and ideas about who God is and should be and what believers need to do to be part of the "clan" if you will.

Abraham under the guidance, direction and faith in God became the father of 3 major monotheistic religions of the World that include about 50% of the population and are not natural or nature based religions.
I read on here where many state how they became Christian. What is really the issue to me is what man created dogmas complete that journey and what are the sentiments regarding Christians and other humans who do not follow the same path? If we are saved by grace and faith then there should not be a gauntlet to run receive salvation. It is available to all who believe with our w/o all the hoopla in my book.
The mercy of God is shown to me by the punishment I have not received and the grace of God is shown to me in the salvation I have not yet earned. Sounds ominous but it sure is less limiting and divisive than many of the dogmas several denominations, synods, sects etc. practice.
Jesus never asked the sadducees and pharieses to change their religion he countered their man made stack of rules and asked us to follow him. He did not ask us to create silos of religious sects he asked us to believe. Might sound too simple but for me simple works well.

Bryce

Re: Question for the Christian intellectuals on here.. [Re: bblwi] #6315906
09/02/18 11:36 AM
09/02/18 11:36 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
Originally Posted By: bblwi
My opinion(s) regarding this question. I believe that many people believe in a God that is far, far too small. There seems to be a need by and for many to attach very exact and or exclusive thoughts and ideas about who God is and should be and what believers need to do to be part of the "clan" if you will.

Abraham under the guidance, direction and faith in God became the father of 3 major monotheistic religions of the World that include about 50% of the population and are not natural or nature based religions.
I read on here where many state how they became Christian. What is really the issue to me is what man created dogmas complete that journey and what are the sentiments regarding Christians and other humans who do not follow the same path? If we are saved by grace and faith then there should not be a gauntlet to run receive salvation. It is available to all who believe with our w/o all the hoopla in my book.
The mercy of God is shown to me by the punishment I have not received and the grace of God is shown to me in the salvation I have not yet earned. Sounds ominous but it sure is less limiting and divisive than many of the dogmas several denominations, synods, sects etc. practice.
Jesus never asked the sadducees and pharieses to change their religion he countered their man made stack of rules and asked us to follow him. He did not ask us to create silos of religious sects he asked us to believe. Might sound too simple but for me simple works well.

Bryce

How do you know who to cast your stones at? lol

-Goofy-
Re: Question for the Christian intellectuals on here.. [Re: HobbieTrapper] #6315921
09/02/18 12:06 PM
09/02/18 12:06 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Who says I am stooping to pick up stones?

Bryce

Re: Question for the Christian intellectuals on here.. [Re: KeithC] #6315927
09/02/18 12:17 PM
09/02/18 12:17 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan

Keith

Do you mean like a life manual, maybe some history of what he did and will do?

I would think that would be great, then we would know what HE thinks of us and if HE really cared about us!!

Like a Bible or something like that!

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: Question for the Christian intellectuals on here.. [Re: slydogx] #6316161
09/02/18 06:43 PM
09/02/18 06:43 PM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
I'm glad the discussion has remained civil so far .

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Question for the Christian intellectuals on here.. [Re: slydogx] #6316168
09/02/18 06:59 PM
09/02/18 06:59 PM

T
Trap_Hunt_Fish
Unregistered
Trap_Hunt_Fish
Unregistered
T

The God I know doesn't care whether I have a Phd in theology or not

Re: Question for the Christian intellectuals on here.. [Re: Michigan Trappin] #6316217
09/02/18 08:23 PM
09/02/18 08:23 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Keith

Do you mean like a life manual, maybe some history of what he did and will do?

I would think that would be great, then we would know what HE thinks of us and if HE really cared about us!!

Like a Bible or something like that!

There are an awful lot of varying bibles and other religious books, supposedly all written by God. I would posit they were all written by men. Why would an omnipotent being need stuff written down? Why would He not just directly tell us the way things are rather than allowing other humans to corrupt his message? What does God get out of being worshiped by lesser beings? Why would God care if we believe in him in a certain way? Why do people think God is so limited?

I think it's likely that only God knows what He wants.

Keith

Re: Question for the Christian intellectuals on here.. [Re: slydogx] #6316241
09/02/18 08:46 PM
09/02/18 08:46 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
KeithC, Is that or is it He only reveals to us His children what we need to know? I know there's stuff I don't explain to my kids.
Without documentation stories, laws, examples get easily lost, forgotten, unutilized, told completely wrong or taken out of context. That's why God used 40 authors to compose The Bible. As far as what God gets out of worship other than respect obedience reverance and love (all the least we can do for Him) I am not sure. People think God is limited haven't begun to ponder His infinite possibilities. Even then our minds are so small we can barely comprehend very small details about God and His ways.
Would you care if your children believed in you in a certain way that is contrary to who you are? Of course you would.

Re: Question for the Christian intellectuals on here.. [Re: waggler] #6316301
09/02/18 10:12 PM
09/02/18 10:12 PM
Central Texas
C
Chancey Offline
trapper
Chancey  Offline
trapper
C

Central Texas
Originally Posted By: waggler
2nd Peter 3:9 says "The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance".

If God has chosen ahead of time who will be saved and who will be excluded from salvation it kind of flies in the face of God "not wanting anyone to perish". Apparently God can [b]want something.
[/b]

It is hard for me to imagine that the Creator of the universe can have a wanting/yearning. However, one thing I definitely gather from reading God's Word is that He does have a want/desire/yearning for us to trust HIM, have a relationship with Him, and love Him. But, He is also a JUST God which is why He gave us a redeemer so that we can have that relationship with Him. Praise Jesus!

Resident Conspiracy Theorist
Accused Moron, Nazi, Low IQ, and Putin Fan Boy
Re: Question for the Christian intellectuals on here.. [Re: slydogx] #6316520
09/03/18 08:49 AM
09/03/18 08:49 AM
Morehead city NC
JakeDog Offline
trapper
JakeDog  Offline
trapper

Morehead city NC
So what about so many religions that do not believe in Christianity? Islam or Buddhism, even the old Norse Gods are being resurrected in Iceland. Not trying to stir any pots but serious question? I think they believe in the same God as us but in their own fashion and ways, mostly being a good person (not so sure about Islam though) they just seem evil??? but they follow their religon????

I believe in God, my Faith is strong as I know he has certainly saved my behind for some unknown reason. I never heard of the names you speak of honestly. I dont really subscribe to any of the religons I just know there is a God looking out for us and has a purpose for us. I guess I just believe in being a good person however that maybe.

Suppression rules/prevention drools

Confidence is going fly fishing for Moby Dick, in a row boat, and bringing tartar sauce with you.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread