No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Big trap on muskrat float? #6316704
09/03/18 02:55 PM
09/03/18 02:55 PM

S
sanfo008 OP
Unregistered
sanfo008 OP
Unregistered
S

Never trapped muskrats before so I was wondering if any of you have ever used a big trap on a float. By big I mean Duke #3 with an oversized pan. In my studies I’ve noticed that muskrats will climb all over a float oten coming up over the sides instead of the ends so they could work the float and never step on the pan of a 1 or 1 1/2. I was thinking a bigger trap with a big pan would mean a surer thing as long as the pan tension was way down and would probably kill them like a body grip. What are your thoughts?

Re: Big trap on muskrat float? [Re: ] #6316713
09/03/18 03:03 PM
09/03/18 03:03 PM
Barron Couny, WI
John Deere Steve Offline
trapper
John Deere Steve  Offline
trapper

Barron Couny, WI
With very light pan tension I'm sure it would work. Down side is that if you want to put out a good number of floats it's going to be a lot of heavy gear to haul around. And the floats will need to be built in a way they will support the heavy traps. But I'm sure they would work. More like a body grip as you stated I bet.

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
Re: Big trap on muskrat float? [Re: ] #6316732
09/03/18 03:36 PM
09/03/18 03:36 PM
St. Cloud, MN
trapperkeck Offline
trapper
trapperkeck  Offline
trapper

St. Cloud, MN
Considering I have had over 90% success rates (per trap) running two #1.5 coils on an 8" X 24" float, I can see no benefits of the larger, more expensive, heavier traps. This was running 40 floats in the spring, catching 76-78 rats per day.
Now, if all I had were #3s, I would not hesitate to set them for rats/mink.

Last edited by trapperkeck; 09/03/18 03:38 PM.

"The voice of reason!"
Re: Big trap on muskrat float? [Re: ] #6316750
09/03/18 04:16 PM
09/03/18 04:16 PM
Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
W
walleyed Offline
trapper
walleyed  Offline
trapper
W

Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
Originally Posted By: sanfo008
Never trapped muskrats before so I was wondering if any of you have ever used a big trap on a float. By big I mean Duke #3 with an oversized pan. In my studies I’ve noticed that muskrats will climb all over a float oten coming up over the sides instead of the ends so they could work the float and never step on the pan of a 1 or 1 1/2. I was thinking a bigger trap with a big pan would mean a surer thing as long as the pan tension was way down and would probably kill them like a body grip. What are your thoughts?

Walleyed runs around 100 Floats and of those,I have 40 Floats with dimensions of 8" X 33" That have

TWO #2 Victor Square-Jaw Coils onboard and they Really, Really make your Float Squat down in the water.

They are a bit Tippy but they are deadly set up Like that.

You will Definitely need larger floats if you use the bigger, heavier traps.

w

"Provisional/Interim" member of NYS Trappers Association
Jefferson Co. Fur Harvesters

I Support Non-Resident Trapping

Re: Big trap on muskrat float? [Re: ] #6316761
09/03/18 04:33 PM
09/03/18 04:33 PM
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Offline
trapper
Calvin  Offline
trapper
C

South metro, MN
Bigger is just fine (and better) IF you can get the pan tension down to nil (like just this side of going off on their own). Rats walk all over most guys traps before getting caught...or not...and unless you see it for yourself, you'll never believe it.

Lot of guys see a rat in their trap and say it's a 100% catch rate...but what they didn't see is the first 3 that walked over them and swam away. It's a humbling experience.

Beav said it right: "In rat trapping, it's not how many you catch, but how many you miss".

Plenty of guys running #3s back in the rat boom days. They bring a rat down a lot faster than a 1.5...as long as your floats are designed for the extra weight (which is easy).

Another BIG tip on floats is make the float only as wide as the trap. Most guys make them far too wide. Rats crawl on edges a lot...often times between the pan and the edge....or right on the rail.

Last edited by Calvin; 09/03/18 04:36 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread