No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
hey bb - feel free to read... #6318827
09/06/18 09:29 AM
09/06/18 09:29 AM
smithfield, virginia
F
flash Offline OP
trapper
flash  Offline OP
trapper
F

smithfield, virginia
congrats!! my dad was a heavy drinker, got the best of him right after he turned 62. tried three times to help him dry out, he loved the bottle or maybe the bottle loved him. last time he never left my sight for over a month. slept in the same room too. thought {we`d} whipped it. next day i saw him heading into the state store in town. had to pull over i cried so hard. i take my hat off to you sir. scott

Last edited by bulletbox; 09/06/18 09:05 PM. Reason: i want folks to read this stuff...
Re: hey bb [Re: flash] #6319173
09/06/18 07:58 PM
09/06/18 07:58 PM
Robert Lee, TEXAS
bulletbox Offline
trapper
bulletbox  Offline
trapper

Robert Lee, TEXAS
It is a tough row to hoe...

I know very few guys or girls who could just stop and walk away from it...

I tired for a couple of years, be clean for 30 days or more, then twist off...

The turning point for me was the look in my parents eyes the last time... I will never forget that hurt look...

I was fixing to go up the creek, if I didn't change... So I moved into the barn for about 3 months.... didn't go anywhere... helped my Dad on the ranch, but mainly stayed in the barn and read... then I moved to the house, helped more, but didn't leave the ranch without someone for about 3 years...

Then I had to deal with lawyers and judges, but got through that...

After Dad's Death in 2001, I still didn't go anywhere by myself for a few more months, other than work on the ranch, trap or hunt...

2003 was about the first time I went anywhere by myself, by then I had about 6 years in...

Not many people could do that unless they are in jail, but until I could trust myself, I didn't want to screw this deal up...

Now I can be around drinking, sometimes it doesn't bother me, sometimes it does, but if it does, I leave right then...

When I went to the NTA in Kansas. I wouldn't stay out there after dark because of the drinking...

But now, I probably still wouldn't stay in a camp where there were stupid drunk folks, just because I do not tolerate stupid drunk people very well... Male or Female...

It is tough, if someone slips, all they can do is sober up and start over again...and again, and again, until they get it right...

But don't beat yourself up over it... there was only one perfect person and they hung him on a cross....

Good Luck and God Bless you and yours,

bulletbox,
TEXAS

Even sheep are smart enough to shade up when it gets over 100....
Re: hey bb [Re: flash] #6319186
09/06/18 08:07 PM
09/06/18 08:07 PM
Robert Lee, TEXAS
bulletbox Offline
trapper
bulletbox  Offline
trapper

Robert Lee, TEXAS
There are demons that live in those bottles...

I know, I have fought them and they will get you at the happiest times or the saddest times, but they are always there...

Once my Dad, Mom and I went grocery shopping... My Dad walked down every isle and I was walking with him until he got to the beer isle...

I just walked to the next isle and stood there until he got to me...

He asked me why I did that. I told him, it would be like walking down a hall and all your friends were standing there and you knew you couldn't talk to them because as soon as you did they would turn on you... It took him about 1 year to understand that... One of his old Coaching friends had a drinking problem for several years and he told him what I said.. He explained it to Dad in a way that he could understand it...

My Dad's Dad, his brother and several of the Uncles had drinking problems... I didn't know that until after my Dad died... He took it to his grave with him...

bulletbox,
TEXAS

Re: hey bb [Re: flash] #6319217
09/06/18 08:34 PM
09/06/18 08:34 PM
Robert Lee, TEXAS
bulletbox Offline
trapper
bulletbox  Offline
trapper

Robert Lee, TEXAS
I just thought I would add this:

I only drank stupid for about 3 years... but it was enough to lose everything I had...

I figured I lost my parents, but they never gave up on me fully... they should have but they didn't...

bulletbox,
TEXAS

Re: hey bb [Re: bulletbox] #6319223
09/06/18 08:42 PM
09/06/18 08:42 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Originally Posted By: bulletbox
I just thought I would add this:

I only drank stupid for about 3 years... but it was enough to lose everything I had...

I figured I lost my parents, but they never gave up on me fully... they should have but they didn't...

For those of us who try to live up to the name "parent" very few ever give up on our creations.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: hey bb [Re: flash] #6319470
09/07/18 07:07 AM
09/07/18 07:07 AM
smithfield, virginia
F
flash Offline OP
trapper
flash  Offline OP
trapper
F

smithfield, virginia
thanks bb sitting here going back in time again. dad`s liver is what took him, didn`t last 3 months after my last try to help. he`s been gone 36 years. i still have thought`s if only i`d tried harder.

Re: hey bb [Re: flash] #6319550
09/07/18 09:07 AM
09/07/18 09:07 AM
Ohio
OhioBoy Offline
trapper
OhioBoy  Offline
trapper

Ohio
So when a guy is drinking at the levels you guys are talking about how long does a half gallon of Jack Daniels last? I'm at about two weeks. Sometimes I wonder which boat I'm in. lol.

Parents / Family pass on. We don't get any take backs. It happens. Alls we can do is deal with it the best we can. It helped me to know that they chose the path they took, its on them. Best of luck to everyone.

Re: hey bb [Re: flash] #6319579
09/07/18 09:44 AM
09/07/18 09:44 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
2 days

Re: hey bb [Re: OhioBoy] #6319648
09/07/18 12:27 PM
09/07/18 12:27 PM
Robert Lee, TEXAS
bulletbox Offline
trapper
bulletbox  Offline
trapper

Robert Lee, TEXAS
Originally Posted By: OhioBoy
So when a guy is drinking at the levels you guys are talking about how long does a half gallon of Jack Daniels last? I'm at about two weeks. Sometimes I wonder which boat I'm in. lol.

A quart could last a day, maybe 2... I didn't drink hard everyday, because after a twist off, I was usually sick for a day or so... but I would switch my booze, and go with a different type...

I usually started with beer and if that didn't do it, I would go to the stronger stuff... if I started on the Crown, I would stick with the crown... as my drinking progressed Crown got to expensive, so I would go with a cheaper brand...

If you need it to survive everyday life, you might need to think about it...

bulletbox,
TEXAS

Re: hey bb [Re: flash] #6319675
09/07/18 01:42 PM
09/07/18 01:42 PM
Utah
B
Blueticker1 Offline
trapper
Blueticker1  Offline
trapper
B

Utah
Way to go bb most people will never understand how difficult the fight is. At my worst I was drinking a handle of makers every 2 days sadly I was doing other things as well, I pretty much done the same as you but I didn't hang out in the barn I spent 5 months on the mountain none of my friends knew where I was only person that knew was my dad and he'd bring me food every week. Now I still drink but a handle will last a year now and only drink on rare occasions and only 1 glass.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread