No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Novembers elections for trappers [Re: jtg] #6326058
09/16/18 12:07 AM
09/16/18 12:07 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
White Marlin, you quoted my words misleadingly. I didn't ask if others wanted a Court that would rely on Korematsu as precedent.

I asked if others wanted incompetent government employees. Here is what I wrote:

"The SCOTUS decision is surprising mainly because the majority were so willing to over-rule established precedent yet again.

"Unions serve a purpose in helping check government management's nearly unlimited power to hire, fire, promote or punish workers for political reasons.

"When I law-clerked for the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, the Assistant AGs were all "expected" (meaning required, if wishing to keep the job) to donate $1,000 per year to the AG's re-election fund.

"Government lawyers aren't unionized. So when Governor Sheffield decided to cut salaries of all the Assistant Attorney Generals by ten percent, in order to make himself look good politically, I could do nothing. I had only taken the job a month before, after salary negotiations, and just bought a house, but I had no remedy--except to vote with my feet as soon as a better-paying job presented itself. Meanwhile, the old-timers, who mostly slept behind their desks in the afternoon, hunkered down where they were.

"If all state workers were subject to arbitrary and unlimited management power, we would soon be left with the dregs of workers in state government. Is that what you people want?"

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: Novembers elections for trappers [Re: James] #6326149
09/16/18 06:34 AM
09/16/18 06:34 AM
Illinois
ringtailtrapper Offline
trapper
ringtailtrapper  Offline
trapper

Illinois
Originally Posted By: James
White Marlin, you quoted my words misleadingly. I didn't ask if others wanted a Court that would rely on Korematsu as precedent.

I asked if others wanted incompetent government employees. Here is what I wrote:

"The SCOTUS decision is surprising mainly because the majority were so willing to over-rule established precedent yet again.

"Unions serve a purpose in helping check government management's nearly unlimited power to hire, fire, promote or punish workers for political reasons.

"When I law-clerked for the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, the Assistant AGs were all "expected" (meaning required, if wishing to keep the job) to donate $1,000 per year to the AG's re-election fund.

"Government lawyers aren't unionized. So when Governor Sheffield decided to cut salaries of all the Assistant Attorney Generals by ten percent, in order to make himself look good politically, I could do nothing. I had only taken the job a month before, after salary negotiations, and just bought a house, but I had no remedy--except to vote with my feet as soon as a better-paying job presented itself. Meanwhile, the old-timers, who mostly slept behind their desks in the afternoon, hunkered down where they were.

"If all state workers were subject to arbitrary and unlimited management power, we would soon be left with the dregs of workers in state government. Is that what you people want?"

Jim

James, the truth of the matter is what happen in your cases still happens today, and even in states with strong labor unions in place. A good example is the state that I reside within, seen it first hand, and it does take place. Having a strong union presence is no guarantee against corruption, that has been seen in the past as well.

RTT

For Sale, Quality Racing Possums
Re: Novembers elections for trappers [Re: jtg] #6326181
09/16/18 07:36 AM
09/16/18 07:36 AM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Online content
trapper
white marlin  Online Content
trapper
W

you were complaining about the court's readiness to abandon "precedent".

I pointed out the silliness of your complaint.

(I also shot to h-e--double hockey sticks your ""If all state workers were subject to arbitrary and unlimited management power, we would soon be left with the dregs of workers in state government" statement.)

Re: Novembers elections for trappers [Re: jtg] #6326201
09/16/18 08:09 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
The human imagination is a powerful thing.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: Novembers elections for trappers [Re: jtg] #6326202
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
from where I sit there a lot of dregs working for state government anyway. when is the last time you drove by a highway project being done by state employees and they were all working or the ones doing something were actually putting a little hustle into it? ever renewed a driver license?

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Novembers elections for trappers [Re: jtg] #6326204
09/16/18 08:15 AM
09/16/18 08:15 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
Mornin James

Re: Novembers elections for trappers [Re: James] #6326211
09/16/18 08:23 AM
09/16/18 08:23 AM
W
trapper
trapper
W

The human imagination is a powerful thing. Jim

care to make a cogent argument?

Re: Novembers elections for trappers [Re: jtg] #6326214
09/16/18 08:25 AM
09/16/18 08:25 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
put down the stick and step away from the horse. laugh

Re: Novembers elections for trappers [Re: mnsota] #6326221
09/16/18 08:32 AM
09/16/18 08:32 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Originally Posted By: mnsota
I hope this meets James's criteria, if it were not for Republican assertiveness,a lot Mn would have lost
snaring this past session.

Was that the state Rep legislature you're talking about? I was aiming more at the federal government, which if anything has acted to hurt outdoors people under Rep administrations.

Case in point: the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge, where trappers lost significant public lands in about 2005 under Bush. Despite the fact that the trails in the refuge were initially built by trappers and miners, trapping is no longer allowed within a half mile of any trail or trailhead. They have been doing everything in their power to keep trappers out of the refuge.

And now, under Trump, the geniuses who run the KNWR are trying to run out hunting. I've hunted there for years, but now I have to take a three day course on how to distinguish between brow tines and palm tines.

In another year, they'll be talk of limiting seasons differently from the state. Go to shotguns or bows only.

The Republicans are not our friends. Any benefits of their plans to the average American will be incidental, just a little side-effect from the benefits enjoyed by rich people in the White House and Congress.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

Re: Novembers elections for trappers [Re: James] #6326226
09/16/18 08:36 AM
09/16/18 08:36 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Your right. We should all just follow your example and vote liberal because they are the true friends of hunters, trappers and gun-owners. Things would be so much better. SMH

Eh...wot?

Re: Novembers elections for trappers [Re: Lugnut] #6326236
09/16/18 08:53 AM
09/16/18 08:53 AM
W
trapper
trapper
W

Originally Posted By: Lugnut
Your right. We should all just follow your example and vote liberal because they are the true friends of hunters, trappers and gun-owners. Things would be so much better. SMH

LOL!!!!!!

Re: Novembers elections for trappers [Re: jtg] #6326238
09/16/18 08:55 AM
09/16/18 08:55 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
im thinking its time to go libertarian. r's lie as much as d's. national carry, smaller government, balanced budget, local control of public schools. all promised and no delivery.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Novembers elections for trappers [Re: danny clifton] #6326243
09/16/18 09:01 AM
09/16/18 09:01 AM
W
trapper
trapper
W

Originally Posted By: danny clifton
im thinking its time to go libertarian. r's lie as much as d's. national carry, smaller government, balanced budget, local control of public schools. all promised and no delivery.

big fan of that open border thing, yes?

listen, it is our OWN fault things are the way they are....how many average Joes vote in primary elections? most people just don't care enough to get involved when it REALLY counts.

it is only the zealots (both sides) that are actively involved.

and by the looks of things, that isn't likely to change anytime soon.

Re: Novembers elections for trappers [Re: danny clifton] #6326268
09/16/18 09:22 AM
09/16/18 09:22 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA

I agree with you to a point.

There are several examples of R's improving things for hunters, trappers and gun-owners listed on this thread at both the state and federal level. Federally it is basically two guys, President Trump and Secretary Zinke making and approving these changes and they are fighting an uphill battle against most other career politicians on either side of the aisle.

Are the R's doing enough? No, not by a long shot. But when you contrast that with the D's who ran and are currently running on anti-2A platforms. These folks are promising their base that they will do their best to gut 2A. Why any sportsman or gun-owner would vote D is beyond me.

You mentioned the L's. IMO, not a realistic choice and I'm not anywhere near convinced they are a better choice than the R's. Even if they did have a realistic chance of gaining enough power to make a difference in our federal government. Which they don't.

Eh...wot?

Re: Novembers elections for trappers [Re: jtg] #6326274
09/16/18 09:29 AM
09/16/18 09:29 AM

J
J Staton
Unregistered
J Staton
Unregistered
J

Let's face it, as trappers we have very few allies. The way politics has become a career, without the lobbying power and the money that goes with it, we have little chance.

Last edited by J Staton; 09/16/18 09:30 AM.
Re: Novembers elections for trappers [Re: jtg] #6326344
09/16/18 11:20 AM
09/16/18 11:20 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
Money only goes so far and then lead is required.

-Goofy-
Re: Novembers elections for trappers [Re: white marlin] #6326433
09/16/18 01:23 PM
09/16/18 01:23 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
Originally Posted By: white marlin

big fan of that open border thing, yes?

listen, it is our OWN fault things are the way they are....how many average Joes vote in primary elections? most people just don't care enough to get involved when it REALLY counts.

it is only the zealots (both sides) that are actively involved.

and by the looks of things, that isn't likely to change anytime soon.

The reason things are as they are is there is little difference in either side. They both believe in big government just different forms.

Open borders are a good thing but not in a welfare state. Libetarians believe in getting rid of the welfare state as well. Not only social but corporate and industrial military complex.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Novembers elections for trappers [Re: ] #6326434
09/16/18 01:26 PM
09/16/18 01:26 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
Originally Posted By: J Staton
Let's face it, as trappers we have very few allies. The way politics has become a career, without the lobbying power and the money that goes with it, we have little chance.

As long as we wish to remain in the shadows and keep our pocket book closes you are correct.

Nevada has done a great job lobbying at the capital every year for years upon years and the result is proof.

Very minor changes in the way they operate and that's saying a lot considering the amount of Californication that has gone on there.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Novembers elections for trappers [Re: James] #6326443
09/16/18 01:34 PM
09/16/18 01:34 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted By: mnsota
I hope this meets James's criteria, if it were not for Republican assertiveness,a lot Mn would have lost
snaring this past session.

Was that the state Rep legislature you're talking about? I was aiming more at the federal government, which if anything has acted to hurt outdoors people under Rep administrations.

Case in point: the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge, where trappers lost significant public lands in about 2005 under Bush. Despite the fact that the trails in the refuge were initially built by trappers and miners, trapping is no longer allowed within a half mile of any trail or trailhead. They have been doing everything in their power to keep trappers out of the refuge.

And now, under Trump, the geniuses who run the KNWR are trying to run out hunting. I've hunted there for years, but now I have to take a three day course on how to distinguish between brow tines and palm tines.

In another year, they'll be talk of limiting seasons differently from the state. Go to shotguns or bows only.

The Republicans are not our friends. Any benefits of their plans to the average American will be incidental, just a little side-effect from the benefits enjoyed by rich people in the White House and Congress.

Jim

So the USFWS is a Republican controlled organization? Even Lisa Magiski hates them.

Last edited by Dirt; 09/16/18 01:36 PM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Novembers elections for trappers [Re: Dirt] #6326448
09/16/18 01:42 PM
09/16/18 01:42 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Originally Posted By: Dirt

Jim

So the USFWS is a Republican controlled organization? Even Lisa Magiski hates them.

Trump fixed his problem.

http://www.salina.com/6d1dde80-6071-53fb-874c-c0fb1eb8191c.html

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread