No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Fisher v Marten #6323350
09/12/18 10:35 AM
09/12/18 10:35 AM
sometimes PA sometimes ME
E
ebsurveyor Offline OP
trapper
ebsurveyor  Offline OP
trapper
E

I have been running trail cameras on bear baits for the past 10 years in Maine. One of the hunters this week got me thinking. He asked "where have the marten gone"? Now that I think about it there seems to be less marten and more fishers where I operate. Ten years ago it was common to see marten at the bear baits and fisher not so much. Now the exact opposite is true. In the past it was common to see marten at the baits in Sep. Now no marten before Oct when the juveniles start to show up. Seems to be plenty of fisher all of the time. I'll know more after the trapping season starts, but for now I think the fisher are displacing the marten.

Re: Fisher v Marten [Re: ebsurveyor] #6323496
09/12/18 02:08 PM
09/12/18 02:08 PM
pa
C
cyaukeyy Offline
trapper
cyaukeyy  Offline
trapper
C

pa
Interesting, keep us posted with your findings. Where I used to run fisher were slim to none. Predominately all marten. How's the beech crop and bears this year?

Re: Fisher v Marten [Re: ebsurveyor] #6323508
09/12/18 02:25 PM
09/12/18 02:25 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I know for a fact that some areas of the province of Ontario fisher and marten co-exist in good numbers(central Ontario).
Here in the north More fisher means less marten.I believe because of the more slim pickings here fisher outcompete marten for rabbits.
Now Marten do not normally prey on rabbits,their prey base is voles under the snow in winter.But once the crust comes on at the end of march,marten depend on rabbits at that short time of year,as they are unable to acess their normal prey because of the crust.If the female marten(because of their size they are not as successful as the large males in hunting rabbits)cannot accumulate enough body fat at that time of year,they will have a reproductive failure.
The fisher tip the scale and the cumulative effect is a decline in the marten population here in the north where spring crust is a normal occurrence.

Last edited by Boco; 09/12/18 02:27 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Fisher v Marten [Re: ebsurveyor] #6324267
09/13/18 01:33 PM
09/13/18 01:33 PM
100 Mile House, BC Can
bctomcat Offline
trapper
bctomcat  Offline
trapper

100 Mile House, BC Can
Fisher and marten are opportunistic predator/scavengers that will eat virtually anything; berries, birds and eggs, fish and of coarse MEAT. Also, being they both often live in the same habitat and go for the same food, and the fisher is the larger of the two, the fisher will generally win out in a limited food supply situation. Thus with an increasing fisher population I would expect a decline in the marten.

Last edited by bctomcat; 09/13/18 02:48 PM.

The only constant in trapping is change so keep learning.

Re: Fisher v Marten [Re: ebsurveyor] #6324273
09/13/18 01:46 PM
09/13/18 01:46 PM
Williamsport, Pa.
J
jk Offline
trapper
jk  Offline
trapper
J

Williamsport, Pa.
Ok an observation of mine here in Pa on fisher vs bobcats. I have three guarenteed (ha ha) bobcat hollows that for years I caught and released bobcat. These three spots now have fisher and no cats for the last four years. Are the fisher chasing them out of here like they might be in your case with martin?????........jk

Free people are not equal. Equal people are not free. What's supposed to be ain't always is. Hopper Hunter
Re: Fisher v Marten [Re: ebsurveyor] #6324278
09/13/18 02:01 PM
09/13/18 02:01 PM
100 Mile House, BC Can
bctomcat Offline
trapper
bctomcat  Offline
trapper

100 Mile House, BC Can
I would say it sure looks like it as the cats and fishers would both be competing for the rabbits.

Last edited by bctomcat; 09/13/18 02:27 PM.

Re: Fisher v Marten [Re: ebsurveyor] #6324286
09/13/18 02:15 PM
09/13/18 02:15 PM
pa
C
cyaukeyy Offline
trapper
cyaukeyy  Offline
trapper
C

pa
Had a marten chasing a showshoe under my truck one time. I jumped out and watched the show. 3 inches of powder snow on the ground total. That marten was certainly opportunistic. Caught one there the next day.

Re: Fisher v Marten [Re: ebsurveyor] #6324375
09/13/18 04:47 PM
09/13/18 04:47 PM
Adirondacks, NY
Fisher Man Offline
trapper
Fisher Man  Offline
trapper

Adirondacks, NY
As an Adirondack trapper, my observations have been that in general, but not always, fisher and marten do not occupy the same range. In the Adirondacks fisher are in decline while marten are expanding their range.In recent years there has been little to no snow during their joint trapping season. This may not be true of all areas, particularly Tug Hill. My observations have been that until snow arrives fisher feed on mostly vegetative materials. Once the snow comes they change their habits and become mostly meat eaters as they do not dig down through the snow like a deer. Some years we have a fairly large fisher catch, other years practically nothing.
I believe that snowshoe hares are a primary pray species in the Adirondacks, but their numbers seem to run in cycles and I wonder if fisher numbers react accordingly.I'm no expert, just my observations. It seems like in the New England states the large numbers of fisher in previous years has dropped; why I do not know.In New York fisher have greatly expanded their range from the Adirondacks, due I believe in the closing of many dairy farms now reverting back to brush and forest. Fisher are going to be where the food is.

Re: Fisher v Marten [Re: ebsurveyor] #6324388
09/13/18 04:57 PM
09/13/18 04:57 PM
Mn
W
Whopper Stopper Offline
trapper
Whopper Stopper  Offline
trapper
W

Mn
On my property in WI I have been baiting bear for the last month. I have never seen a Martin here in the last 25 years, however the fishers are alive and well.

Hardly a night (or day) goes by that 1-2 Fishers don't come raiding the stash. There favorite food seems to be frosting lol

WS

Re: Fisher v Marten [Re: jk] #6324410
09/13/18 05:31 PM
09/13/18 05:31 PM
E
ebsurveyor Offline OP
trapper
ebsurveyor  Offline OP
trapper
E

Originally Posted By: jk
Ok an observation of mine here in Pa on fisher vs bobcats. I have three guarenteed (ha ha) bobcat hollows that for years I caught and released bobcat. These three spots now have fisher and no cats for the last four years. Are the fisher chasing them out of here like they might be in your case with martin?????........jk

Maine "collared" some lynx ten years or so ago. A high percentage of them were killed by fisher.

Re: Fisher v Marten [Re: ebsurveyor] #6324414
09/13/18 05:39 PM
09/13/18 05:39 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
I have a few marten sprinkled in my area but very rarely have they come to my bear baits. Fisher however are common visitors at the bear baits. The marten boxes I built and put out as per Dale Torma's instruction have not been used.

Cats visit my bear baits often, fisher in the area or not. The difference is the fisher eat at the bait while the cats come in and perch on the nearest high stump or horizontal tree. The camera shows the cats are waiting for mice and other small rodents the bait attracts.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Fisher v Marten [Re: Fisher Man] #6324424
09/13/18 06:02 PM
09/13/18 06:02 PM
Central, NY
O
odiferous Offline
trapper
odiferous  Offline
trapper
O

Central, NY
Originally Posted By: Fisherman
As an Adirondack trapper, my observations have been that in general, but not always, fisher and marten do not occupy the same range. In the Adirondacks fisher are in decline while marten are expanding their range.In recent years there has been little to no snow during their joint trapping season. This may not be true of all areas, particularly Tug Hill. My observations have been that until snow arrives fisher feed on mostly vegetative materials. Once the snow comes they change their habits and become mostly meat eaters as they do not dig down through the snow like a deer. Some years we have a fairly large fisher catch, other years practically nothing.
I believe that snowshoe hares are a primary pray species in the Adirondacks, but their numbers seem to run in cycles and I wonder if fisher numbers react accordingly.I'm no expert, just my observations. It seems like in the New England states the large numbers of fisher in previous years has dropped; why I do not know.In New York fisher have greatly expanded their range from the Adirondacks, due I believe in the closing of many dairy farms now reverting back to brush and forest. Fisher are going to be where the food is.

My thoughts exactly.

Bob ~ AKA The Skunk Whisperer
Re: Fisher v Marten [Re: ebsurveyor] #6324578
09/13/18 09:14 PM
09/13/18 09:14 PM
E
ebsurveyor Offline OP
trapper
ebsurveyor  Offline OP
trapper
E

In northern Maine I can catch Marten or fisher in every place I trap. Here is a typical bear bait photo catch. I've seen many dozen of photos like these.

Re: Fisher v Marten [Re: ebsurveyor] #6324845
09/14/18 08:41 AM
09/14/18 08:41 AM
Northern Maine
Jeremiah Wood Offline
trapper
Jeremiah Wood  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
This has always been a fascinating topic to me. Butch, it was funny running into you yesterday because just a few hours before that I'd talked with a bear guide south of you who had the same general observations.

There has been a lot of marten and fisher research out of the University of Maine over the decades. The general consensus is that the distribution of fisher is limited by snow depth, while marten are limited by the presence of fisher. In other words, areas with severe snow depth will have fewer fisher, and the northern extent of their range is generally determined by how much snow accumulates in a region. That's probably why we tend to see fisher concentrated in cedar swamps in mid winter, where snow depths aren't as great and they can hunt more effectively.
Marten do fine in deep, soft snow. Like Boco said, they do much of their winter feeding under the snow. But where fisher and marten overlap, fisher will often kill or outcompete marten, so the marten range is also controlled indirectly by snow depth.

Now, the big thing that complicates all of this is the thousand other factors that affect these two species. For instance, we know fisher kill marten, but we regularly see marten and fisher in the same areas, and catch them in the same sets. In northern Maine, we have incredibly diverse marten/fisher habitat due to: regenerating farmlands, mixed hardwood and softwood forests, and above all, a very aggressive timber industry that's constantly changing the makeup of these forest stands. So it's difficult to make general conclusions.

There definitely appears to be more fisher up here in recent years based on both observations and trapper harvest rates (marten:fisher ratio). It could be due to several winters with suitable conditions for fisher survival. Could be due to lack of fisher harvest since the 10 fisher limit and lynx related regulations were put in place. Could be due to habitat changes as we've trended toward a younger forest in the north woods with aggressive timber harvest. It could be a long term thing, or could be part of a cycle.

Based on past experiences, I wouldn't be too concerned about taking action to 'save' marten just yet, though. Back in 2008 much of Maine had over 200 inches of accumulated snow for a large part of the winter. Marten liked it, but, trappers stopped seeing fisher in many areas, and cried for the state to do something about it. The season was shortened and a 10-fisher limit put into place. There was not much scientific rigor involved in that decision (that is a polite way of putting it, and I apologize if that offends anyone who was involved). Then a few favorable winters came and went, fisher numbers recovered, and now we have what seems to be too many fishers and too few marten. And yes, we know fisher kill lynx, which are an endangered species here, so there's that too.

There's a new university study getting underway to see how marten populations have been impacted by recent forest harvest, so that will be interesting. More importantly, though, I'm excited to get trapping in November and see what we find!

Re: Fisher v Marten [Re: ebsurveyor] #6324893
09/14/18 10:12 AM
09/14/18 10:12 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
How do we know fisher kill marten?

Who is John Galt?
Re: Fisher v Marten [Re: Dirt] #6324898
09/14/18 10:18 AM
09/14/18 10:18 AM
E
ebsurveyor Offline OP
trapper
ebsurveyor  Offline OP
trapper
E

Originally Posted By: Dirt
How do we know fisher kill marten?

I do know that fisher eat marten. The fisher came back two more times but could not/would not go in the box.

Re: Fisher v Marten [Re: ebsurveyor] #6324912
09/14/18 10:37 AM
09/14/18 10:37 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Scavenging is different than killing. I had a coyote eat a wolverine out of a trap, but I don't believe coyotes kill wolverine. I have had weasels scavenge marten.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Fisher v Marten [Re: Dirt] #6324947
09/14/18 12:03 PM
09/14/18 12:03 PM
100 Mile House, BC Can
bctomcat Offline
trapper
bctomcat  Offline
trapper

100 Mile House, BC Can
Originally Posted By: Dirt
Scavenging is different than killing.
Agree; as I stated earlier fishers are opportunistic scavengers and will eat virtually anything.

Re: Fisher v Marten [Re: ebsurveyor] #6324956
09/14/18 12:17 PM
09/14/18 12:17 PM
Northern Maine
Jeremiah Wood Offline
trapper
Jeremiah Wood  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Numerous instances of radio tagged Martin being killed by Fisher

Re: Fisher v Marten [Re: ebsurveyor] #6324961
09/14/18 12:22 PM