No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Bear defense handgun [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6328682
09/19/18 12:33 PM
09/19/18 12:33 PM
wyoming southeast
D
danvee Offline
trapper
danvee  Offline
trapper
D

wyoming southeast
No one mentioned bear pepper spray I would have that as well as a handgun if you look at the statistics furnished by the game and fish it will deter almost all attacks if deployed most attacks that occur where someone is injured neither is deployed and that victim is on the ground before they know what hit them. Read the information that is handed out in the states that have grizzly. The first rule is be aware of sign, tracks, scat or fresh kills and fetid odors. Most folks can not draw and make a kill shot on a animal charging at 30 miles and hour. Most Im guessing are not going to break leather. if you wound a bear it most times is not going to be pretty. I trap in grizzly country and have had several encounters I do carry a gun but it is a shotgun with 00 buck and slug. They leave a lot of sign and most folks make the mistake of walking into a kill site or occupied area with there thumb up there backside not paying attention. If you do come back to a kill site that is the worst scenario make sure it has not been covered and be sure you can see the area plainly before you enter.

Re: Bear defense handgun [Re: waggler] #6328691
09/19/18 12:40 PM
09/19/18 12:40 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Originally Posted By: waggler
I really don't think you should be shooting at a "charging bear" at 30 yards although you had better be ready by that time regardless.

You do bring up a good point about the time required to be prepared to take defensive action; the time required to un-sling a shotgun vs. un-holster a handgun is probably not all that different, especially considering you will probably have your hands full of other gear (fishing pole, bow, etc).

A bear that is truly charging will cover 30 yards in a blur of speed.

Wag... That is where I was going with my comments about a dog. I know a dog may not stop a bear, but a dog would be a pretty good form of early warning system allowing more time to bring whatever weapon available to ready. Also,a good early warning system for time spent around camp.

Donner do not forget to take a large WHITE pillowcase. You can put gear in it for travel, and at night lay it out next to you and place your firearm on it for easier acquisition in the dark. Rips up good for bandages and other uses as well if needed.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Bear defense handgun [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6328695
09/19/18 12:43 PM
09/19/18 12:43 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
my cousin was hunting blacks in WI with dogs , long story short very big black bear the dogs were all over it the dogs owner told him to wait till the bear stood on it's hind legs and shoot it under the chin when it did , he did that may have hit a little low or a bit off center I didn't get to inspect it. the bear came down and charged he got a second shot in it on the charge the first shot was taken at 35 yards the bear fell at 5 yards with 2 12ga slugs in it.

you can't stop a 200 pound man with a handgun effectively in 7 yards what makes you think you will stop a 500 pound bear with one in short distance.

keep your hands free and gun ready

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Bear defense handgun [Re: danvee] #6328703
09/19/18 12:50 PM
09/19/18 12:50 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Originally Posted By: danvee
No one mentioned bear pepper spray I would have that as well as a handgun if you look at the statistics furnished by the game and fish it will deter almost all attacks if deployed most attacks that occur where someone is injured neither is deployed and that victim is on the ground before they know what hit them. Read the information that is handed out in the states that have grizzly. The first rule is be aware of sign, tracks, scat or fresh kills and fetid odors. Most folks can not draw and make a kill shot on a animal charging at 30 miles and hour. Most Im guessing are not going to break leather. if you wound a bear it most times is not going to be pretty. I trap in grizzly country and have had several encounters I do carry a gun but it is a shotgun with 00 buck and slug. They leave a lot of sign and most folks make the mistake of walking into a kill site or occupied area with there thumb up there backside not paying attention. If you do come back to a kill site that is the worst scenario make sure it has not been covered and be sure you can see the area plainly before you enter.

Very good words Dan...

It does bring up a question. Here in MN and other places the CO's are crazy quick to arrest or cite for wanton waste. Out there in grizzly country how do they deal with a downed animal situation if you feel Grizzlies could be a threat? I know what common sense says, but how about the "officials"?

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Bear defense handgun [Re: Boone Liane] #6328721
09/19/18 01:16 PM
09/19/18 01:16 PM
AK
F
FL cracker in AK Offline
trapper
FL cracker in AK  Offline
trapper
F

AK
Originally Posted By: Boone Liane
Shotgun trumps any and all under 30 yards!

.44 mag is on my hip at ALL times in grizz country. I stress at ALL times!

Shotgun is at hand whenever “hands free” isn’t a direct requirement.

That guide that got killed in WY is the exact situation where I’d have had the shotgun on point. Walking in to a 12 hour old kill site.

If I ever have to use a firearm on a grizz, I hope the shotguns in my hands and not the pistol!

I'm in agreement with Boone Laine: my 45/70 Marlin or 12 ga Remington 870 is my first choice, but my .44 Mag Super Redhawk is always strapped to me for the times when my long gun isn't in my hands, like gathering firewood, unloading/loading the boat, using my binoculars. And the new Marlins are not all bad. I've never personally handled a new Marlin 1895 that had any defects other than cosmetic, they have always worked and are as tough as nails, I know over a dozen individuals scattered across Alaska using the newer 1895 Marlins with the push button safety in 45/70, and they have always worked for them. I think owning the older 1895's is more of a status symbol nowadays. Just my 2 cents having owned older and newer 1895 Marlins, using them to hunt with on boats and snow machines, and all of them working flawlessly. The Henry 45/70 rifles don't work well in real world conditions. The two people I know of who bought them had them jam up when trying to feed a new round in.
As far as pistols go, shoot them standing up before you buy one, most people can only shoot the Magnums that are bigger than .44 Magnum or .45LC accurately if they are shooting off of a rest. You won't be shooting off a rest at a charging bear.

Psalm 34:6
Re: Bear defense handgun [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6328729
09/19/18 01:29 PM
09/19/18 01:29 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
There is a difference between caution and Arkoudaphobia. I ran into two bear hunters upriver that had an electric fence around their tent, were both packing what looked like 45 automatics and I assume had long rifles with them. crazy

Odds were they would die in a plane crash ( their cub) than get attacked by bears.

Maybe they read outdoor life when they was young.

Last edited by Dirt; 09/19/18 03:35 PM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Bear defense handgun [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6328733
09/19/18 01:40 PM
09/19/18 01:40 PM
TN
Oreamnos Offline
trapper
Oreamnos  Offline
trapper

TN
A .454 would be nice if you're going with a handgun. If you want a .44, the comment of a Ruger super redhawk with Buffalo Bore 340 gr +p+ is a good one. That's what I carry but only cause I got a great deal on it. That buffalo bore ammo in .44 comes pretty close to matching the .454 in performance. That ammo is for use in certain guns only though. Don't fire it in the lightweight S&W revolvers or you'll be sad you did.

Re: Bear defense handgun [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6328755
09/19/18 02:21 PM
09/19/18 02:21 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Thanks for the warning Jonathon, I do not use Buffalo Bores in my .44 S&W mountain gun but I may have.
For Minnesota use I am comfortable with the 240-300 grain loads.

Osky

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Bear defense handgun [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6328799
09/19/18 04:09 PM
09/19/18 04:09 PM

C
Cysquatch
Unregistered
Cysquatch
Unregistered
C

I always thought these slugs were in order if I was wandering around grizzly country

Re: Bear defense handgun [Re: Dirt] #6328814
09/19/18 04:38 PM
09/19/18 04:38 PM
Kenai AK
K
KenaiKid Offline
trapper
KenaiKid  Offline
trapper
K

Kenai AK
Originally Posted By: Dirt
There is a difference between caution and Arkoudaphobia. I ran into two bear hunters upriver that had an electric fence around their tent, were both packing what looked like 45 automatics and I assume had long rifles with them. crazy

Odds were they would die in a plane crash ( their cub) than get attacked by bears.

Maybe they read outdoor life when they was young.

I use the term “Bearanoid” to refer to a couple friends grin But really, I’d rather see unsure people go over-prepared than ignorant and underprepared, or as I call it “Treadwell syndrome”

Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Boco couldn't catch a cold.

But if he did, it would be Top Lot.
Re: Bear defense handgun [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6328858
09/19/18 05:57 PM
09/19/18 05:57 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
I don't think any special slug is necessary , plane old 1 ounce Winchester super-X about turn them selves inside out and penetrate around 30 inches on deer when shot from under 50 yards.

better to buy a bunch they sell in bulk boxes of 15 for about 12-13 dollars and practice with your shotgun till hitting is second nature.
than buy specialty rounds you will shot 5 of and call it good not knowing that when you cycle them fast they don't feed well.

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 09/19/18 05:59 PM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Bear defense handgun [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6329007
09/19/18 09:48 PM
09/19/18 09:48 PM
tn
L
lestan101 Offline
trapper
lestan101  Offline
trapper
L

tn
Donner, I cant give you any grizzly advice but if you are looking for a .44 magnum and want to keep the weight down you may want to check out the S&W model 69. It is built on the smith "L" frame the same frame they build their 357's on. It's only a five shot revolver not six like the 357 is. I have one in a 2.75 inch barrel. It carries great. You can use any "L" frame 357 holster for it. I know it comes in a 4 inch barrel if you would rather have it. I have the The 4 inch 357 and the 44 2.75 inch barrel carries much better. Five shot speed loaders for the Charter Bulldog works well for an extra load. I put Hogue grips on mine for recoil. You can use grips that fit K, L, N, or the new X frame. They all will fit the L frame. I ordered mine from hogue for about 40 dollars. It was money well spent. Now for the downside, the recoil is pretty stout in the 2.75 inch barrel. I think you stated earlier that you were not recoil sensitve, I'am. I carry on the strong side hip. If I were bowhunting I would try to find a chest rig to keep it available and handy. I hope this helps you with your gun question. I carry for black bear not grizzlies. Good luck.

Re: Bear defense handgun [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6329366
09/20/18 01:43 PM
09/20/18 01:43 PM
SE WI
DuxDawg Offline
trapper
DuxDawg  Offline
trapper

SE WI

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
-Edmund Burke
"We are fast approaching... rule by brute force."
-Ayn Rand
Re: Bear defense handgun [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6329369
09/20/18 01:59 PM
09/20/18 01:59 PM
Northern Missouri
Northmocats Offline
trapper
Northmocats  Offline
trapper

Northern Missouri
Ruger 44 mag in an Alaskan Guide holster across the chest. Although I have just carried the 357 double action Dan Wesson in Grizz country. Whatever you can shoot the best and straight.

Last edited by Northmocats; 09/20/18 01:59 PM.
Re: Bear defense handgun [Re: SNIPERBBB] #6329399
09/20/18 03:14 PM
09/20/18 03:14 PM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
Originally Posted By: SNIPERBBB
Originally Posted By: danny clifton
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.454_Casull

If you cant find a way to carry a shotgun this ought to work.

Isnt the .454 one of the very few handgun calibers that can penetrate body armor?

I have and shoot a Freedom Arms Mod 83 revolver. ( Its the original model first chambered in 454C ) I shoot it every time I go to the range and put 20 or so rounds through it at the end of the day. Sometimes a few more. It is one of those things that you need to keep at it. It is a snappy round that will surprise some folks that wanted to try it. I would suggest you find a person or range that has a 454 revolver and try it out. It is not for everyone. And you can not miss fast enough. If you can't shoot it well its going to be next to useless for you. I have a red dot on mine for fast target acquisition no matter what light level.

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: Bear defense handgun [Re: DuxDawg] #6329411
09/20/18 03:42 PM
09/20/18 03:42 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Online sick OP
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Online Sick OP
trapper
D

MN
Originally Posted By: DuxDawg
https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/defense-against-bears-with-pistols-97-success-rate-37-incidents-by-caliber/#axzz5RQOU8zuT

That was a great compilation thanks for posting it. I have pretty much decided to sell my .357 blackhawk and get a .44 or .454 super redhawk Alaskan. Until I had posted this I had always thought .44 and .357 had similar ballistics but the buffalo bore .44 +p+ hits much harder than the .357 ever could. I appreciate all the feedback.

Re: Bear defense handgun [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6329569
09/20/18 08:00 PM
09/20/18 08:00 PM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
Willy, why the Super Redhawk instead of the Super Blackhawk? If it's the dbl action I could get a 4" barrel for my Dan Wesson .44 mag but it's a big chunk of metal.

Re: Bear defense handgun [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6329669
09/20/18 10:15 PM
09/20/18 10:15 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
The best handgun for bear has an 18 inch barrel, has a shoulder stock, and is chambered in 3" 12 gauge.

Re: Bear defense handgun [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6329760
09/21/18 02:43 AM
09/21/18 02:43 AM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
EdP - I am a fan of both single and double action guns. The Super Redhawk is double action and can be fired easier and faster under stress and possible injury. It takes one fewer step to fire. Maybe injured or partially pinned and just could not (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) the hammer. Just trying to be prepared. If someone else needs to use the gun, they may be less skilled.

Many guides in Ak have told me no way on a single action, with double just squeeze off shots until no more wiggling.

Dan Wesson Guns are great. A 4” barrel would be nice. A light comfortable handgun.

Personally, I like the feel, bulk, and mass of the Super Redhawk when shooting the extremely powerful Buffalo Bore .44 mag and .454 casull ammunition. If you have not seen one in person, when you do you will see that it is a very massive handgun. I put Hogue grips on ours. Not as nice as the originals, but they absorb some of the recoil.

Best wishes.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Bear defense handgun [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6329962
09/21/18 11:19 AM
09/21/18 11:19 AM
SE WI
DuxDawg Offline
trapper
DuxDawg  Offline
trapper

SE WI
+1 on the dog.
Mine have treed black bears and mt lions plus everything smaller than that. I can tell by how the dog(s) react what is there from at least twice as far as I can detect any critter myself. Wolves frequently harass bears, which works in our favor. In an attack the dog(s) would give the bear(s) more to think about than only how good you are going to taste. Time and distance are our best friends in emergencies!

In areas that allow bears to be hunted with dogs, I have found the bears to be very polite.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
-Edmund Burke
"We are fast approaching... rule by brute force."
-Ayn Rand
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread