No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Turkey experts #6333237
09/25/18 09:09 PM
09/25/18 09:09 PM
Perry, NY
D
Dana I Offline OP
trapper
Dana I  Offline OP
trapper
D

Perry, NY
So I see a lot of wild turkeys while I am working, but today I saw something odd. A hen with a clutch of young that were obviously hatched WAY late. She had 6 chicks with her that were probably only in the 3 to 4 pound range. Question for you is, would such a late clutch have any chance of surviving the winter?

Re: Turkey experts [Re: Dana I] #6333246
09/25/18 09:16 PM
09/25/18 09:16 PM
ky
R
Redsleeves Offline
trapper
Redsleeves  Offline
trapper
R

ky
Sure they will, they grow pretty quick. There are usually a few very late clutches here when we have a wet summer. As long as they get featherd out they'll make it maybe not all but some will, as long as there was not a mast crops didn't fail in the area!
Its funny how turkeys are they tend to catch up good from what ive seen. By Dec you wont be able to tell witch ones was the late clucth! This has been my experience. And I spend a lot of time watching turkeys!
Colt

Last edited by Redsleeves; 09/25/18 09:21 PM.
Re: Turkey experts [Re: Dana I] #6333258
09/25/18 09:35 PM
09/25/18 09:35 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
We have quail the same way. Some coveys now look like full grown birds. Some have smaller birds that you can tell are the young. And still a few coveys with young chicks that can barely even fly yet. Late hatches are normal and some will survive. If you spend as much time as I do in the woods, it’s really a miracle any young survive. We have everything from weather, to normal predators aerial and footed, to fire ants, and snakes that these birds have to deal with.

Re: Turkey experts [Re: Dana I] #6333262
09/25/18 09:37 PM
09/25/18 09:37 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
I agree with Redsleeves. I posted a pic of a hen with very small poults a few weeks ago.

The pic makes them look bigger than they were. They were no bigger than grouse.

Eh...wot?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread