No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Leather sewing machines #6333956
09/26/18 09:16 PM
09/26/18 09:16 PM
s.w. Missouri
C
coolstucco Offline OP
trapper
coolstucco  Offline OP
trapper
C

s.w. Missouri
Anyone know much about leather sewing machines? There is an auction nearby that has two machines in it. One is a Classic leather/ upholstery MooTDW6B machine and the other is a Durkopp Adler 205370 leather machine. My question is considering that both are in good operating condition and are both older machines what would the values be and which would be the better choice for my daughter to continue learning to work leather with? Also would one or either be suitable for sewing some fur items. I know this is not a lot of information but any guidance would be greatly appreciated. My daughter is 14 and loves working with furs and leather and shows promising talent at the process and I would like to give her the opportunity to expand her skills.

Re: Leather sewing machines [Re: coolstucco] #6334020
09/26/18 10:29 PM
09/26/18 10:29 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
Pics would be nice, but they sound like upholstery machines to me, which can be used for leather work.

I think the internet would be your best bet for seeing if they are worthy of purchase, some times older machines, parts cannot be found when things break, or even spare machines to rob off of.

I would start be just typing in the names and models and see what comes up, then you can get a pretty good idea, you might try E-bay just for research, do the same thing, see what the bids and buys on them are, would give you some idea.

Most Bonis machines are pretty good hard working machines if you find one, they are very good for leather work and fur.

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Re: Leather sewing machines [Re: coolstucco] #6334023
09/26/18 10:31 PM
09/26/18 10:31 PM
Hawkins,Texas
B
Big Dog Offline
trapper
Big Dog  Offline
trapper
B

Hawkins,Texas
You might try your question on leatherworker.com. They are very helpful about leather like TM is about trapping.

Decide what you want in life then make it a reality.
Re: Leather sewing machines [Re: coolstucco] #6334079
09/26/18 11:52 PM
09/26/18 11:52 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
Fur sewing machines are nothing like leather or upholstery sewing machines, if your daughter wants to sew fur she'll have to get a different machine than a leather machine.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Leather sewing machines [Re: coolstucco] #6334247
09/27/18 09:30 AM
09/27/18 09:30 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Correct.Fur sewing machines use a whip stitch,leather machines a stab stitch.
You could sew fur with a leather machine but the seams will show prominent and it will be tough not to catch fur in the seam.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Leather sewing machines [Re: Boco] #6334270
09/27/18 10:05 AM
09/27/18 10:05 AM
Northern Wisconsin,Rhinelander
Hodagtrapper Offline
Muskrat Master
Hodagtrapper  Offline
Muskrat Master

Northern Wisconsin,Rhinelander
Originally Posted By: Boco
Correct.Fur sewing machines use a whip stitch,leather machines a stab stitch.
You could sew fur with a leather machine but the seams will show prominent and it will be tough not to catch fur in the seam.

Good info! ^^^^^^^^

Chris

>>In God we trust<<
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread