ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: trap shy racoons [Re: Ole] #6363246
11/02/18 10:46 AM
11/02/18 10:46 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
I guess I should be overjoyed. If 20% of your raccoon are being a problem, I'm very fortunate! Ours is closer to 2%, which is good because we have to catch well over a thousand in a year.

Re: trap shy racoons [Re: Ole] #6385322
11/29/18 11:40 AM
11/29/18 11:40 AM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline
trapper
Teacher  Offline
trapper

Rochester, MN
I’ve trapped both successfully and unsuccessfully for more than 30 years but have found I don’t know my subject critter (coon) very well, so I’m going to take the Ron Jones & Co class in January. This is something I should have done years ago. For those who question the cost, I’m looking at the investment potential and the gain over future years.

I’m older, a hobby fur trapper who does occasional ADC work and could use some one-on-one time with people who make their living doing ADC. The flight, motel, food and school cost is cheaper than buying a used car or a new shotgun. The gain potential is that I won’t have to absorb from my own experience. This takes years and at age 68, I don’t know how many years that actually means. Yet, at the school, I not only get to bug instructors for two and a half days, but I get the cross pollination effect being with a dozen other students who have experiences and knowledge they’re willing to share. In my book it’s a win-win situation I can’t pass up.

Last edited by Teacher; 11/29/18 11:42 AM.

Never too old to learn
Re: trap shy racoons [Re: Jonesie] #6385695
11/29/18 07:27 PM
11/29/18 07:27 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Originally Posted by Jonesie
Well after 49 years as a fur trapper and doing wildlife control since 1979, I will tell you right here and now, there are coon every year I can not get into a cage trap no matter what I do or what bait I use, and I catch a few coon, at least one or 2 coon a year LOL If the coon is trap smart I can catch it because it will make a mistake, it will work the trap and I can figure out what I need to do, that is if I am looking for what to do different, based on the behavior of THAT COON, but if it is trap shy, it may not most likely will not get caught in a cage, but it may fall for other methods or even presenting the cage in a manor to which that coons instincts do not become alarmed. Finding out as fast as I can if I have a 80 percent coon easy to catch, or if I have a 20 % that is trap smart or trap shy is critical.

If I do not catch a coon out on the trap line with these prices, I am loosing 6 bucks. If I can't catch a coon on the Job I am loosing 275.00!!!!!! So you can bet your bottom dollar I will study coon both every where, out in the back forty and in the attic, I will take instructions and will listen to anyone that is catching coon to see if I can adapt their methods and mindsets to my bubble!!!! I would love to go out to Red O Hern in a heart beat, to pick his brain and watch him work his coon. and there are a few more that I would also take instructions from, A wise trapper or wco will always look to learn things outside of their bubble.

Jonesie:
When are you going to come out with your DVD on how you bait ext. you coon traps? I listen to you a few years ago on the radio program. I set my trap as you described. I do ADC on a small scale. Works for me. I blow there mind with smell and something to see that looks good to eat. I have even put a plastic egg behind the pan. We all know coons like and know what a egg is. LOL

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: trap shy racoons [Re: Ole] #6387036
12/01/18 06:36 AM
12/01/18 06:36 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Teacher- if one has the time and money, might as well go do the class I guess. I'm sure it'd be interesting.

Re: trap shy racoons [Re: Ole] #6418625
01/04/19 09:43 PM
01/04/19 09:43 PM
OBX N.C.
Leary Sink Offline
trapper
Leary Sink  Offline
trapper

OBX N.C.
Fellas all I can tell you is if you think Jonesie knows his stuff about raccoons, ask him about squirrels. He can mouth call either to him.
I’d love to know just a fraction of what he has forgotten about catching critters.

Now on the other hand, the sorry rascal will come within 40 miles of you to see family and never call you to let you know he’s there. Lol!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread