ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Topic Options
Hop to:
#6340955 - 10/05/18 04:33 PM trap shy racoons
Ole Offline
trapper

Loc: ID
in a subdivision on the edge of town, there are a couple of raccoons climbing a plum tree, running around on the roof and crapping in a corner of the yard. I've had three live traps set in the vicinity baited with large marshmallows, coon candy lure and some Trix cereal scattered in and near the traps. Two nights now and they are still running around on the lady's roof. They have an endless food supply with the plums. Any suggestions on getting them into the cages?

#6341034 - 10/05/18 07:00 PM Re: trap shy racoons [Re: Ole]
traprjohn Offline
trapper

Loc: Central NC
use some plums, crushed a bit so the odor travels well, smear/drag crushed plum-making a scent trail to the MOTHER LODE in the cage, suspend the LODE in a cup, so their attn is up there, set them near the plum trees and a couple more cages near the tree they are climbing on the roof with. You can also put 1 or 2 on the roof BUT MAKE SURE to put plywood under them sticking at least 3" out from the cage.
If they are going in her attic, use a bucket/220 set up there. Use a burlap sack with newspaper lining to carry the critter thru the house.

#6341035 - 10/05/18 07:01 PM Re: trap shy racoons [Re: Ole]
traprjohn Offline
trapper

Loc: Central NC
..ps, I used to live in Payette, what county you in?

#6341051 - 10/05/18 07:18 PM Re: trap shy racoons [Re: Ole]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

Loc: Louisiana
Iím not in that situation, but if I were, Iíd probably try some sort of trail set. Another reason why blind sets are king

Good luck

Donít Tread on Me!

#6341075 - 10/05/18 07:49 PM Re: trap shy racoons [Re: Ole]
TDHP Offline
trapper

Loc: Mass
Raccoon was coming out during daylight hours bothering the workers in the building. The guy they hired had the set location looking like a grain farm with "trailing" sets but no luck. After a lengthy walk through I rolled the dice and pulled a dr dolittle and told the foreman it was entering the hall through this room. Placed a cage off the corner of the locker, a lure stick with a generous glob of lure on it suspended in the rear of the cage. No covered cage or cage flooring. Kept it simple. The following morning he was waiting. Sometimes less is best and 86 all the clever set ups. Strange that your commercial lure isn't attracting them. Hmmm

#6341254 - 10/05/18 10:16 PM Re: trap shy racoons [Re: Ole]
Ole Offline
trapper

Loc: ID
I'm in Blaine County. Move, not kill attitude around here and I can't risk a non target lethal catch. I added some Dam a Dam beaver/racoon lure to a cage tonight and will see what happens. I might have to do the roof thing if all else fails and put the cages on plywood. 3:4 roof pitch so it should be easy.

#6341298 - 10/05/18 11:28 PM Re: trap shy racoons [Re: Ole]
AJE Online   content
trapper

Loc: WI - Wisconsin
Put some molassis and sardines in the cage. I'd be shocked if they resist. It doesn't take much molassis. In another trap, put grape jelly and a tiny bit of annis oil, perhaps with a little bit of corn and sunflower seeds.

Edited by AJE (10/05/18 11:29 PM)

#6341515 - 10/06/18 08:39 AM Re: trap shy racoons [Re: Ole]
CallmeBob Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
wet catfood.

#6345853 - 10/12/18 07:50 AM Re: trap shy racoons [Re: Ole]
Jonesie Offline
trapper

Loc: Monroeville NJ
Not your bait most likely. You need to present the trap to them in the right location the right way. I had a coon walking right past my trap 5 feet away last week. for a few nights I moved the trap 5 feet placed the opening towards the direction the coon was coming and it went right in using the same bait and lure. I have been giving cage trap training for 20 years and this one fact is true put the trap right on the coon make it easy to go in the trap and snack or trail the coon into the trap. Good baits and lures are a must for coon BUT it is 90% trapper knowing what to do and 10% baits and lures that get it done. To find out if the coon are trap shy or trap smart, place a marshmallow out front of the trap about a foot and one right on the lip, another one right in front of the pan. if only the one out front is moved or gone then you may have a shy coon if they are gone up to the pan and the ones behind are Left then smart, if nothing is moved or touched your location is off.

Edited by Jonesie (10/12/18 09:44 PM)
Rednecks Pride Outdoors pod cast

#6345921 - 10/12/18 10:21 AM Re: trap shy racoons [Re: Jonesie]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

Loc: Louisiana
Originally Posted By: Jonesie
Not your bait most likely. You need to present the trap to them in the right location the right way. I had a coon walking right past my trap 5 feet away last week. for a few nights I moved the trap 5 feet placed the opening towards the direction the coon was coming and it went right in using the same bait and lure. I have been giving cage trap training for 20 years and this one fact is true put the trap right on the coon make it easy to go in the trap and snack or trail the coon into the trap. Good baits and lures are a must for coon BUT it is 90% trapper knowing what to do and 10% baits and lures that get it done. To find out if the coon are trap shy or trap smart, place a marshmallow out front o the trap about a foot and one right on the lip, another one right in front of the pan. if only the one out front is moved or gone then you may have a shy coon if they are gone up to the pan and the ones behind are Left then smart, if nothing is moved or touched your location is off.

Great post

Donít Tread on Me!

#6346540 - 10/13/18 10:20 AM Re: trap shy racoons [Re: Ole]
TDHP Offline
trapper

Loc: Mass
Originally Posted By: Ole
I'm in Blaine County. Move, not kill attitude around here and I can't risk a non target lethal catch. I added some Dam a Dam beaver/racoon lure to a cage tonight and will see what happens. I might have to do the roof thing if all else fails and put the cages on plywood. 3:4 roof pitch so it should be easy.

I don't see any reason why you cant intercept them on their way up to their entry point. I have to close up a roof tomorrow, shingle and sheathing that this coon tore through. Could easily have set traps on the roof but when you have sign on the ground unless you're running a positive set on the opening, ground trapping is where it's at. I've trapped them on the roof as well but no need for heavy lifting when you have "sign" right in front of you..jmo I personally would start over clean up any scrap bait if any and pin point their route. In your face trapping is key with raccoons who you think are avoiding you. This homeowner called me yesterday flipping out because this raccoon was causing havoc in the ceilings of a tenants bedroom. They've been trying for days to trap it. When I did a walk through I told him the animal is climbing the deck post. He insisted they weren't because he seen a beat down path coming from the wood line to the house. Clearly a path made by kids, I placed a trap roughly 3 feet away from the concrete form and it was waiting this morning for me. Nothing more than little sweet lure and a dab of bait suspended in the rear of the trap.

JMO..You don't need to go to "trapping" school or "instructional classes" to trap raccoon. Money could be spent on better things IMO, and that's not a shot at those who run classes, it's just a fact. If anything the exclusion side of things would be a better investment if you had to pay to learn how to apply applications on structures. You can only trap what is there. Common sense goes a lonnng way in removals. Cat food sardines marshmallows mackerel all that stuff is attractive to animals. But if you can get your hands on pure form baits before they are processed, you will notice a big difference..Either way jmo.

Have to look for those subtle signs.

Fatty fresh bait is much better and imo has more appeal.

#6346645 - 10/13/18 01:39 PM Re: trap shy racoons [Re: Ole]
DuxDawg Offline
trapper

Loc: SE WI
IMHO Jonesie and TDHP have it nailed.