Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Making fish coon bait question #6343141
10/08/18 09:54 AM
10/08/18 09:54 AM
North dakota
N
Nd native Offline OP
trapper
Nd native  Offline OP
trapper
N

North dakota
I am looking to make a ground/chunky coon bait out of fish. I was thinking of using smelt or minnows, mashing them up or grinding them, and mixing in some Sodium Benzoate as an anti-freeze to make a paste. I plan on using the bait in the back of cubbies or in pocket sets, not in dog proofs.

So my question is, would this work as a bait? And if it would, is there any "additives" that I could put in to it to spice it up a bit?

Thank You

Re: Making fish coon bait question [Re: Nd native] #6343223
10/08/18 12:01 PM
10/08/18 12:01 PM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
You have manyyyy options when it comes to ingredients. For raccoon bait and this is jmo, don't over complicate fish. Sure anise,honey, molasses and other sweet odors are attractive but fat would be an ingredient I made sure I had in the bait. Depending on the origin from the fat, that odor alone will slam raccoon and a lot of them. Just my opinion it's more beneficial to add things that they instinctively seek out during the seasons.

Fats are a plus in all predator baits.

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91