No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Trusting your nose! (Finding things Story) #6343997
10/09/18 01:50 PM
10/09/18 01:50 PM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline OP
trapper
Macthediver  Offline OP
trapper

La Crosse, WI
I haven't really done much for trapping last 4 years and most my gear is a mess. This fall I'm going back at it little more than I have last 4 seasons.
Decide it was time to go in trap room figure things out see just what is what. Well what is what is a piled up mess. Took me a bit to find a couple dozen #2 coyote traps. They were buried in tote under bunch 1 3/4s right where I guess I put them 3 years ago?? Don't know can't seem to recall why any thing is where it is in that room.
But I did want to dye and use the #2s so was on a quest to find them. So got them sorted out of the 1 3/4 which are all dipped traps.
Next question I ask my self? Do I have any trap dye? Should have dye but haven't used any since I did my wolf traps 4 years back.
I dug out my 5gal can trap dip back in Sept so could dip couple new colony traps. Knew right where I had that gas can stored, right next to the weed eater gas..Make sure you always mark your dip can. You don't want the wife or kids putting dip in lawn mower. Don't work so well.
My mind wanders lol!
But anyway Now I'm digging for dye, do I have some or not? Now mind you this was two days ago I started looking. Check what I thought might be the best hiding places first, no luck. For years I always keep the bags of dye in the white cabinet next to the fur freezer. Cabinets gone thrown out when I made room to back the wife's jeep in the garage. Where would my new place be?
Yesterday I dug out more traps from the trap room move things around. Still no bags of dye popped out, rooms not that big? Even check the one cabinet above the loading bench in the basement. I've stashed some unopened bottles of lure maybe the dye? Nope!
This morning I'm thinking ok just go buy some dye. Nooo! Maybe I should just rake up them maple leaves on drive use them, it's only couple dozen traps. They'll work.. Heck I'll scoot down the street few block pick up bucket black walnuts. Did that trick before. But then there is the little gritty stuff on the trap unless I bag them nuts...I think I'll dig some more got to go threw everything eventually. Maybe I didn't see the dye under the wax in the box on the shelf. Did I mention I had plenty of new wax? in a box on the shelf. I usually had the dye and wax both in that same old white cabinet..
Look in the box with the wax again still no dye in there. One little piece scrap wire saved for what? but no dye..But wait! did I or did I not just get a whiff of dye? when I moved that box?? Nothing under the box but a bag of bags used to freeze fur in. May as well throw some them out their pretty beat up. There! there is that slight whiff of dye odor again.. How can I be smell log wood when I see nothing looks close to bags of dye? or is there?? little more digging and I find a plastic bag with 3 new bags of dye in it. Huh who knew thought I may have bought some at convention some time back?? But wait what is this? Another bag with 4 new bags of dye in it?
So my great dye mystery was solved I did indeed have some dye. I should have used my nose instead of my eyes I may have found it sooner. I had look in that spot couple times everything looked alike, I just didn't dig enough to get a little whiff log wood.
Now the mystery is why did I obviously buy dye two different times? Then put both bags in the same place, with no recall that I put them there. No I wasn't drinking. May have been chemo brain but i don't like to go there.
Can't blame the wife she never goes in there.
Next decision. Big dye tank or little pot?
I do know right where both of them are.

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: Trusting your nose! (Finding things Story) [Re: Macthediver] #6344013
10/09/18 02:11 PM
10/09/18 02:11 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
We played hide&seek as kids to prepare us for what comes 60 yrs later

Re: Trusting your nose! (Finding things Story) [Re: Macthediver] #6344036
10/09/18 03:21 PM
10/09/18 03:21 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I think its a situation where,by the time your in your 60's you have accumulated so much stuff its harder to locate things in storage.Sort of like the final scene in the raiders of the lost ark.

Last edited by Boco; 10/09/18 03:22 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Trusting your nose! (Finding things Story) [Re: Macthediver] #6344050
10/09/18 03:47 PM
10/09/18 03:47 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Online content
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Online Content
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I was setting and firing my coyote traps sunday. found 9 that needed a new rivet or tag one had a bent dog etc. put a bunch in a pot to boil. then did another batch. all traps nice and clean. started dying got em all waxed by Monday afternoon. son and grandson were helping. (to muddy to work for wages) got all done and everything put away then saw the little pile of traps that needed tweaking still dirty and starting to show some rust.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Trusting your nose! (Finding things Story) [Re: Boco] #6344059
10/09/18 03:59 PM
10/09/18 03:59 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted By: Boco
I think its a situation where,by the time your in your 60's you have accumulated so much stuff its harder to locate things in storage.Sort of like the final scene in the raiders of the lost ark.

Exactly. I decided to sell some of my #1 Victor LS. A kid who I got involved in trapping during one of my firearm training sessions asked how many I was planning on selling? I said about half of them. I figured I had about 4 dozen #1s. Yesterday I start digging them out. I have just over 9 dozen Victors and 2 dozen 1 &1 1/2Jumps. I have no idea where I got all them. confused

We are told not to judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but are told to judge all gunowners by the actions of a few.
Re: Trusting your nose! (Finding things Story) [Re: Macthediver] #6344182
10/09/18 06:57 PM
10/09/18 06:57 PM
Bluegrass area, KY
B
BvrRtrvr Offline
trapper
BvrRtrvr  Offline
trapper
B

Bluegrass area, KY
Looks like CRS struck again!

Re: Trusting your nose! (Finding things Story) [Re: BvrRtrvr] #6344908
10/10/18 06:17 PM
10/10/18 06:17 PM
Rock Springs, WI
Z
Zim Offline
trapper
Zim  Offline
trapper
Z

Rock Springs, WI
Looking on the bright side, I can now enjoy hiding my own Easter eggs.

Zim

Re: Trusting your nose! (Finding things Story) [Re: Macthediver] #6345174
10/11/18 04:13 AM
10/11/18 04:13 AM
Livingston, Texas
S
Sheepdog1 Offline
trapper
Sheepdog1  Offline
trapper
S

Livingston, Texas
When one turns 50 CRS settles in within a day or so. I use to think folks over 50 had lost their mind. Now I know for sure they did, that's why we cant remember a darn thing.

Re: Trusting your nose! (Finding things Story) [Re: Macthediver] #6345292
10/11/18 09:04 AM
10/11/18 09:04 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline OP
trapper
Macthediver  Offline OP
trapper

La Crosse, WI
Did more digging around yesterday and actually boiled and waxing a few traps. I remembered that somewhere in my garage there are 2 dozen, new in the box victory 1 1/2 double jaws??? No idea where they are at this time, but their in there some where. I bought them years ago to use on my coon line. Then the DPs took off so I bought couple dozen of them and never set the DJs up... I've seen the Victor DJs in out of the box condition marked at over $10.00 as collectors traps. Not sure how many of the DJs I have? couple totes full for sure. As I recall back when I bought the first ones in late 70s early 80s. I think they were somewhere around $3.00 each.
I'll find them even though don't need them.

Mac

Re: Trusting your nose! (Finding things Story) [Re: Macthediver] #6345345
10/11/18 10:21 AM
10/11/18 10:21 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
If you lose any more memory you might be telling this story ready to hit "send" and notice it's the wrong website. That's when bad......LOL

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Trusting your nose! (Finding things Story) [Re: 330-Trapper] #6345357
10/11/18 10:43 AM
10/11/18 10:43 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline OP
trapper
Macthediver  Offline OP
trapper

La Crosse, WI
Originally Posted By: 330-Trapper
If you lose any more memory you might be telling this story ready to hit "send" and notice it's the wrong website. That's when bad......LOL

Could happen any day??? Forget my T-man login password. Post something in my checking account or one of online bill pay accounts. LMAO!

I've always been what my brother called drifety! Whole different deal than standing there looking for something that is at arms length..

I'll be helping Zim hide the Easter eggs.

My father used to say he couldn't find his A-- with both hands..

Mac

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread