No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
testing baits on your dog? #6347697
10/14/18 09:56 PM
10/14/18 09:56 PM
Fingerlakes New York
robert.d12 Offline OP
trapper
robert.d12  Offline OP
trapper

Fingerlakes New York
What kind of reaction do you guys get when testing homemade baits on your dog? My dog has gotten caught once or twice and doesn't want to have anything to do with some. Tonight I place a tablespoon of bait in the end of a 12" piece of PVC and walked outside with it. My dog caught on and followed me out of the garage. I got on the opposite side of a big dirt mound from her and stuck it a few inches in the ground. I walked a ways and watched her look for it. It took a minute for her to find it but once she knew where it was she ran right up to it. When she got close to it she took one look at it in the end of the pipe and ran away. I thought it was weird how she liked the smell of it but wouldn't lick it so I pulled out the pipe and tried to give it to her. She wouldn't get anywhere near it! I though maybe the bait was a miserable failure but I proceeded to try more. I followed her into the garage where she went and laid down, she almost left when I brought the pipe in. She watched me tap the pipe on the ground until a small amount of bait was on the ground. I backed away and she quickly walked over smelled it and licked it up. I brought the pipe back over, she backed up until there was more bait on the floor, and then came back to eat it. She would not go anywhere near that pipe though. She has never been caught in a pipe set and never with that bait. It's just interesting to me that she has such a good reaction to the bait but bad to the pipe. Anyone else have a dog like this?

The beauty of the second amendment is it wont be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson
Re: testing baits on your dog? [Re: robert.d12] #6347703
10/14/18 10:01 PM
10/14/18 10:01 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Could be she had some other experience with a pipe that wasn't good.

Re: testing baits on your dog? [Re: robert.d12] #6347714
10/14/18 10:17 PM
10/14/18 10:17 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
It me awhile to but 2 and 2 together and figure out that because my dog has been caught in a dirt hole set she won't go near one if I try to test something on here. My dog shows interest in everything I make but after some time I have learned to read the intensity of her reaction. But that's a very small starting point. I have learned coyotes don't always reach the same way.

Re: testing baits on your dog? [Re: robert.d12] #6347720
10/14/18 10:34 PM
10/14/18 10:34 PM
N.C MO
T
TONY.F Offline
trapper
TONY.F  Offline
trapper
T

N.C MO
I find it best to have a dog that's not trap shy! My trap line dog loves all my creations but she hasn't been pinched yet! But I will add if a dog shows no interest it wont go to the next level! Dogs to test yote attractors feral cats to test bob cat attractors. Not house dogs either cause dogs will roll on the same smells yotes do. Yes sir I feel totally different my top notch yote attractors my dogs whine and drewl over. But I always let the yotes prove it next

LIVE LIFE LIKE THEIR IS NO TOMMORROW
Re: testing baits on your dog? [Re: robert.d12] #6348580
10/15/18 10:44 PM
10/15/18 10:44 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
If I relied on my 2 dogs for bait testing, I could restrict my choices to processed cheese slices, and ham sandwiches left on the very edge of a coffee table.
I am seriously thinking about dragging out a coffee table and make that set in front of a trail cam set on video.
On a more serious note, my dogs roll in everything which I have in stock as though it was a rotten crawfish (their favorite perfume and my least favorite stench to wash off of them).

Last edited by 52Carl; 10/15/18 10:47 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread