No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
re loaders #6348596
10/15/18 11:04 PM
10/15/18 11:04 PM
West Central Illinois
I
il.trapper Offline OP
trapper
il.trapper  Offline OP
trapper
I

West Central Illinois
Hey fellas, I have a chance to get a Lee Classic turret press cheap. I have never used one, know very little about them, and just need to know if they are any good for rifle reloading. It does have a few sets of dies with it, but I am not sure which ones they are yet.

Anyone use one? Can ya'll give me some real reviews on it?

Last edited by il.trapper; 10/15/18 11:04 PM.
Re: re loaders [Re: il.trapper] #6348615
10/15/18 11:19 PM
10/15/18 11:19 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
I load on a Lee 4 hole classic cast.

great budget setup fast enough that you can load some volume.

quick to change calibers.

easy to fix problems on say you didn't get enough of the primer crimp out of a 223 primer pocket and the primer doesn't want to go in you can easily grab that case out and ream it a bit more then run it again.

there is a little plastic part in the ratcheting index assembly , these wear out but it is 1.99 every 5K rounds if you keep it lubed.

the classic cast can load indexing even long action like 30-06 where the aluminum based basic turret will not even auto index on 223. I has the aluminum base turret first then upgraded to the classic cast , the classic cast ram is longer.

the classic cast also drops the spent primers out the bottom center of the ram down a tube you can run right into a bucket been running mine for 5-6 years maybe 7 and I purchased it used from a co-worker who went dillon.

the reason people leave the turret is that they want a progressive.

especially for batches of 250 or less it is great for rifle , most importantly you can change everything needed to go from 223 to 30-06 in about a minute pop the tool head out change the shell holder and grab the other primer parts and your ready to pour powder and start loading your tool head stays just the way you left it.

I reload 223 , 30-30, 308 , 30-06 for rifle and 9,38spl, 40s&w, 44mag and 45acp

if you run a bolt action rifle the Lee collet die , speeds up reloading and extends brass length significantly as long as you keep the brass clean when you shoot. you can in 4 pulls of the handle be back to a loaded round. 6 loading in still haven't had to trim a 308 case or full length size. 308 is loading almost as fast as pistol ammo

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 10/15/18 11:25 PM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: re loaders [Re: il.trapper] #6348889
10/16/18 10:07 AM
10/16/18 10:07 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
be aware there are a few turret presses and the differences are not always pointed out

the old 3 hole

the 4 hole aluminum base - this has a index capacity or 2.3 inches and is only going to auto index on pistol rounds but if you hand index which is a pain can load rifle

the 4 hole Classic Cast now called the Classic it has a cast iron base and a 3.313 inch auto index length and will auto index on 30-06 unless your running a very long bullet, but 150 and 180s haven't been an issue for me.

308win is a breeze to reload on it.

there is one more in the line up for 2018 it looks like it has a brass base and has the same indexing specs as the Aluminum base press but does have the improved primer removal tube of the classic where they drop out the center of the ram and don't end up everywhere

I have the aluminum base 4 hole and the classic cast , you want the classic cast iron base model if you want to reload rifle , if your into magnums you may still end up hand indexing but it is still easier to have the setup on the tool head stay the same vs a single stage

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: re loaders [Re: il.trapper] #6348935
10/16/18 10:50 AM
10/16/18 10:50 AM
West Central Illinois
I
il.trapper Offline OP
trapper
il.trapper  Offline OP
trapper
I

West Central Illinois
thanks Pete,

I will be reloading my 204, some 270wsm, and most likely a bunch of 223/5.56. Some pistol loads also, along with maybe a few other cals.

I am going to look at the press today. From what I have been told it is an older model "that is pretty heavy" So I am taking it as a cast iron type.

It does have the 308 dies and what she thinks is a "22 something" die set. It was her fathers set up. She says it hasn't been used in over 15 yrs.

Re: re loaders [Re: il.trapper] #6348967
10/16/18 11:22 AM
10/16/18 11:22 AM
Northern Missouri
Northmocats Offline
trapper
Northmocats  Offline
trapper

Northern Missouri
I had a lee 4 hole Turret press so long it broke the handle.. Put a New handle on it , its going strong again.
For the Price they will last along time. probably 25 Years of reloading on this one , I think...
That said , I like RCBS also.

I prefer manually indexing the turret, so I disabled the auto index. Just preference like to size all brass and check specs first.

Last edited by Northmocats; 10/16/18 11:24 AM.
Re: re loaders [Re: il.trapper] #6348977
10/16/18 11:30 AM
10/16/18 11:30 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
it might be the 3 hole if it is that old.

a new 4 hole classic cast is about 165 for just the press. for 219 you can get the kit and all you need is powder primer and a set of dies to start turning out rounds

with that kit for 219 + 46.50 for the ultimate die set this has the collet die , full length size , bullet seat and crimp die.

you need a way to trim cases also.

I run a separate turret with size and trim dies in it.

I have a turret with 223 and 300 black out quick trim dies in it and full length size dies in it since 223 and 300bo run in autos they get washed , lubed full length sized then trimmed dried then loaded

on the loading turret for 223 and 300bo I run a universal case expander to just slightly bell the case mouth , then an auto drum with powder drip die/riser then bullet seat , and bullet crimp and the round is loaded.

on 308 which I load for a bolt action only I keep my brass from falling in the dirt or clean it then run , collet size , powder drop/rier with auto drum, then bullet seat and bullet crimp. I am running almost all boat tail bullets for 308 so I get away without the universal case mouth expanded to flair the case mouth.

in pistol I run size , the pistol dies flair the mouth and drops the powder at the same time those I am running pro-auto-disk measures on, then bullet seat , then taper crimp rather than factory crimp but that is because I am running cast lead or coated cast lead or plated lead in most all of my pistols and the factory crimp die in pistols squishes the slightly over-sized cast bullets and causes issues with cast.

I like to keep the measure set for each caliber I have one for each caliber I reload regularly the less common cartridges share

by the time I buy a turret , dies , powder measure , if rifle a powder drop riser , if pistol a taper crimp and trim die for rifle I am looking at about 100 dollars a caliber for a full setup in pistol and 130 a caliber for rifle.

since I load all 4 sizes of primers LR SR LP SP I have 2 sets of safety prime I wrote write on each one what is loaded in it so they don't get mixed up . don't want to put LP in a LR case with 2x the pressure.

you can get crazy with a powder for every caliber but some work well in several

in pistol I run Alliant power pistol this does 9, 40, 45 very well and does moderate loads in 44mag

in 223, 308 , 30-06 , 30-30 I run H4895 and do well

in 300bo CFE-BLK is the powder and it is good for soem other things but nothing I load for

I could run H110 for 300bo and 44mag and get high end velocities in both but I like the pressure curve in the CFE-BLK it makes my brass last.
and my 44mag does't need to run at top speed

I am not a speed junkie most of the time the staring load is most accurate any way , I see no point in hot-rodding it just costs more.

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 10/16/18 11:41 AM.

Re: re loaders [Re: il.trapper] #6349077
10/16/18 02:14 PM
10/16/18 02:14 PM
Northern Missouri
Northmocats Offline
trapper
Northmocats  Offline
trapper

Northern Missouri
^ Indeed it is, I just looked. You know your Lee presses well.
3 Hole inserts

Last edited by Northmocats; 10/16/18 02:14 PM.
Re: re loaders [Re: il.trapper] #6349308
10/16/18 08:14 PM
10/16/18 08:14 PM
West Central Illinois
I
il.trapper Offline OP
trapper
il.trapper  Offline OP
trapper
I

West Central Illinois
Thanks again guys,

I did buy it. 50 bucks I couldn't not buy it. lol

It is a 4 hole. So not sure how old it really is. She asked her brother and he said there is another older one there somewhere. If she finds it I am going to buy it also more than likely.

I have a rcbs single stage. So I have much of the stuff needed already. I may keep using the rcbs for more precision loads for my 204 and this one for run of the mill loads. Until I figure this one out enough to get the same accuracy as I get with the other. I am going to get Lee dies for it.

Re: re loaders [Re: il.trapper] #6349412
10/16/18 09:50 PM
10/16/18 09:50 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
it would be really hard to go wrong at 50 , if they find the old 3 hole it can also be converted to 4 or left a 3 hole for when your loading things like 38spl where you don't need a crimp die.

Lee is in Hartford Wisconsin and they are very good about selling replacement parts to rebuild just about all of their products the manual for nearly everything has every single part number of the assembly and they have it all online with videos on how to do most things.

I broke a gear in one of my Auto disks this year , called them up they set me up even emailed me a link to the video which was very detailed and replacing the small part was simple when seeing the video no guessing which washer went in what order it was all right in the video.

Re: re loaders [Re: il.trapper] #6349461
10/16/18 10:46 PM
10/16/18 10:46 PM
Ne pa
J
Jerry Jr. Offline
trapper
Jerry Jr.  Offline
trapper
J

Ne pa
There is a saying: buy once, cry once. Buy green for single/turret and blue for progressive!

Time is more precious than gold if you know how to spend it
.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer.~My Dad
NRA LIFE MEMBER, Endowment Member
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread