No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Legality question #6349507
10/17/18 12:42 AM
10/17/18 12:42 AM
New York
K
Kn9ne Offline OP
trapper
Kn9ne  Offline OP
trapper
K

New York
I was curious to know if it is legal to set some muskrat floats in the culverts that go under the roads around some of the lakes and creeks here in NY. Most of them look like prime spots to set for muskrats/mink. Just wondering if anyone knows what type of permission is needed weather its from the state, landowner, or DOT.

Re: Legality question [Re: Kn9ne] #6349853
10/17/18 02:59 PM
10/17/18 02:59 PM
Adirondacks, NY
Fisher Man Offline
trapper
Happy Birthday Fisher Man  Offline
trapper

Adirondacks, NY
I don't know the details for sure, but it is legal in New York to set traps in culverts under the road. As for permission I have not heard of needing permission from the state or Dot. As for the landowner, I'm not sure. I've heard that you have 15" from the edge of the road, but better yet I would get permission from the landowner or check the reg with your local ECO.

Re: Legality question [Re: Kn9ne] #6349980
10/17/18 06:49 PM
10/17/18 06:49 PM
Tug Hill, New York
A
Albert Burns Offline
trapper
Albert Burns  Offline
trapper
A

Tug Hill, New York
Here is what I have been told by a local C.O. Yours may interpret the law differently so please ask them and don't go by what our local one explained to me. I was running a pretty good line of modified bucket cubbies and 160's in all the Coon runs under the roads locally, and had been for many years without an issue. One day I got stopped and checked out by the CO, no problems, but he asked me to pull a couple sets I had under a particular culvert. He said the people that owned that side of the road weren't fond of trapping and he knew them. Eventually they were going to call him. I explained it wasn't posted, and I had been there for years without an issue. He said, it was supposed to be posted, and would I please remove them even though it was not. I told him of course I would. He explained that if the property on the side of the culvert was not posted, he didn't have a problem with us setting under the roadway. If either side was posted, he suggested we get permission from the landowner before setting it. Not exactly sure what the legal requirements are, but this was his recommendation. Hope this helps.

Re: Legality question [Re: Kn9ne] #6350127
10/17/18 09:39 PM
10/17/18 09:39 PM
New York
K
Kn9ne Offline OP
trapper
Kn9ne  Offline OP
trapper
K

New York
Thanks to you both. I will contact my local ECO and see what he says. I planned on it anyway but was curious if anyone had any experience with this. Thanks again

Re: Legality question [Re: Kn9ne] #6350158
10/17/18 10:19 PM
10/17/18 10:19 PM
Ne pa
J
Jerry Jr. Offline
trapper
Jerry Jr.  Offline
trapper
J

Ne pa
Being a land owner and one that owns land that touches a road, I would suggest getting permission. You may very well be on dot property and legal but it would be best to get permission. Better to be safe than to put a black spot on our sport.

Time is more precious than gold if you know how to spend it
.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer.~My Dad
NRA LIFE MEMBER, Endowment Member
Re: Legality question [Re: Kn9ne] #6350207
10/17/18 11:11 PM
10/17/18 11:11 PM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
I would ask the landowner. Who knows, you might just get asked to trap the big pond out back!

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread