No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
My latest Tanning attempt .... #6349446
10/16/18 10:27 PM
10/16/18 10:27 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline OP
trapper
Actor  Offline OP
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
My latest Tanning attempt ....

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

Have been trapping 77 years…
Re: My latest Tanning attempt .... [Re: Actor] #6349449
10/16/18 10:29 PM
10/16/18 10:29 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Looks pretty good,fur looks clean.What did you use?

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: My latest Tanning attempt .... [Re: Actor] #6349457
10/16/18 10:41 PM
10/16/18 10:41 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Nice job.

Re: My latest Tanning attempt .... [Re: Actor] #6349460
10/16/18 10:46 PM
10/16/18 10:46 PM
North East, MT
Hi-Line Wolfer Offline
trapper
Hi-Line Wolfer  Offline
trapper

North East, MT
Looks pretty good fur side out. Would be nice to see it inside out. What method of tanning did you use?... Good stuff!!!

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.
Re: My latest Tanning attempt .... [Re: Actor] #6349506
10/17/18 12:41 AM
10/17/18 12:41 AM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline OP
trapper
Actor  Offline OP
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
Thank you …. It is snow white inside … After trying several things and processes. I used Trapper's Hide Tanning Formula. The stuff in the orange bottle. I did the mink and a couple dozen rats from one bottle. I was pleased but still having a little trouble getting the heads and mouths to soften up to my satisfaction. The rats are all a couple years old, been waiting for the price to go up … ha! ha! They had been rolled tight in plastic bag, no freezer burn that I could see. I didn't know if that was causing the trouble around the head or mouth or not … will see here in a couple of weeks when I can get some fresh rats. I had one old female mink that had 83 bite marks and cut on her … I figured maybe she tangled with a mink.

I don't have any photos of the under side of a the mink but here is one of the rats and mink looked the same.

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

Re: My latest Tanning attempt .... [Re: Actor] #6349510
10/17/18 01:17 AM
10/17/18 01:17 AM
North East, MT
Hi-Line Wolfer Offline
trapper
Hi-Line Wolfer  Offline
trapper

North East, MT
Hey, that stuff makes a nice color, like Alum tanning. It is hard to tell from the pics, but if areas are still stiff, it may be from not breaking them to complete dryness. Other than good penetration from solution, breaking the leather till completely dry is the two main components on how a tanning job turns out. A lot of folks starting out in tanning quit too early in the breaking process and allow the leather to stiffen. It takes a lot of work and time to see it through, but thats what it takes for soft leather. The head and mouth areas need a finer breaking instrument. Not sure what you used, but a piece of rebar, or the like, in a vice will work pretty good for breaking out those tight spots. The more you do, the more you will pickup on the details. You have a great start already! Hang that sucker up and continue to perfect you craft. Joel

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.
Re: My latest Tanning attempt .... [Re: Actor] #6350229
10/17/18 11:57 PM
10/17/18 11:57 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline OP
trapper
Actor  Offline OP
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
I am going to have to work on the head area … I wasn't that concerned about muskrat because I am hoping to chop them up and use for other things ... not just wall hangers. Maybe I just started this project to late in life.

Garry-

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread