No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Fuel Transfer Tank Cleanout Help Please #6351056
10/18/18 10:26 PM
10/18/18 10:26 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline OP
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline OP
trapper
W

Ohio
Hi Guys,

I hope you can help me with this fuel tank issue.

Background:
I have a 55 gallon square fuel transfer tank. The tank is in like new condition outside, but nasty inside. I bought it new and used it as gasoline storage for one of our generators. It never sat in the dirt to rust, it was always up on a pallet. I used “all” of the gasoline - pump said it was dry. Because of developing a better fuel system, I have not used it for a few years.

The goal:
My goal is to bolt this tank to a skid, install the new pump, filter, hoses, and nozzle and take it to jobs as a second transfer tank for diesel fuel. Easy to put in the truck and go. I don’t want to do this wrong and ruin the new Tier 4 Diesel engine that is part of a very expensive tractor, or damage the other diesel tractor, or a skid steer loader, or my diesel Mule, or.......

The problem:
I scrubbed the outside of the tank and it cleaned up well. Inside smells like varnish, as expected. The inside does not look rusty. I carefully turned the tank upside down over an EPA spill mat with a spill containment curtain. Out poured about a gallon of nasty smelling varnish residue. I built a heavy duty skid, but did not bolt the tank on it yet.

Questions:
What can I do to clean this tank? Is it even necessary to clean it since it is now practically empty? Should I pour in about 1 gallon of diesel and shake, not stir, then drain? Or, should I fill it with 55 gallons of diesel fuel and not worry. I use Goldenrod filters with the translucent sight glass jar and replaceable inner cartridge filters. I get their best filter and cartridge that filters out fine sediment and water. I need to get this in service ASAP.

At the auto parts store, the expert who knew nothing found a product in about a quart size bottle that says it will clean the tank and stabilize the diesel fuel, and prevent jelling and will treat up to 100 gallons of fuel.

So what is some good advice? Thanks!

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Fuel Transfer Tank Cleanout Help Please [Re: Willy Firewood] #6351073
10/18/18 10:46 PM
10/18/18 10:46 PM
West coast of Iowa
I
iaduckhntr Offline
trapper
iaduckhntr  Offline
trapper
I

West coast of Iowa
Back when they first came out with gasohol, I had problems with it cleaning out the old varnish in the tank. Took about 5 or 6 small fuel filters to collect all the junk, then it was good to go. Just an idea.
Dennis

Old 8 toes~~ life ITA and NRA member
Life in the fast lane is no place for a tricycle!
Re: Fuel Transfer Tank Cleanout Help Please [Re: Willy Firewood] #6351631
10/19/18 04:16 PM
10/19/18 04:16 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Car wash, blast it and drain?

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Fuel Transfer Tank Cleanout Help Please [Re: Willy Firewood] #6351691
10/19/18 05:39 PM
10/19/18 05:39 PM
Western pa
F
frank1969 Offline
trapper
frank1969  Offline
trapper
F

Western pa
Put a spin on filter system on it and fill it up

Re: Fuel Transfer Tank Cleanout Help Please [Re: Willy Firewood] #6351696
10/19/18 05:51 PM
10/19/18 05:51 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
Water due to condensation in a steel gasoline tank is my nemesis. I hate steel fuel tanks, but I end up using them myself at times. I assume you looked into the tank and determined there are no rust issues.

Frank1969 probably gave good advice, get a good filter system with a water separator and fill it up and go. I don't know if the varnish will be an issue, but why couldn't you get a gallon of some real carb/parts cleaner (not the auto parts store aerosol kind) and mix it with a couple gallons of gas and slosh it around inside the tank, I would think that should dissolve the varnish??

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Fuel Transfer Tank Cleanout Help Please [Re: Willy Firewood] #6352498
10/20/18 08:04 PM
10/20/18 08:04 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline OP
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline OP
trapper
W

Ohio
Hi guys.

Thank you for the suggestions. I have a gallon of carb cleaner that I wil pour in and let it soak a couple days. Then will drain and rinse with a couple gallons of diesel. Then drain again. Then put on the new plumbing and pump and filter then fill for work.

I appreciate the ideas!

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Fuel Transfer Tank Cleanout Help Please [Re: Willy Firewood] #6353001
10/21/18 01:11 PM
10/21/18 01:11 PM
Idaho
S
Salthunter Offline
trapper
Salthunter  Offline
trapper
S

Idaho
I dont know how to clean them. But do it right

A neighbor was a certified fuel tanker repair tech,.. He just got out of the burn center from his accident in August

Work hard play hard
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread