No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: pros and cons of youth hunts [Re: Andrew Eastwood] #6353122
10/21/18 05:50 PM
10/21/18 05:50 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Seems the less others kill them deer the more I can get is what a lot of this sounds like here, first you need to find a adult to get out of that Lazyboy and then he needs to find a kid to take hunting and that seems to be a challenge nowadays to just get started. LOL

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: pros and cons of youth hunts [Re: Andrew Eastwood] #6353227
10/21/18 07:52 PM
10/21/18 07:52 PM
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

PA
Helping an older hunter who needs it to get a few more hunts in in the time he has left sounds like a great idea.

Re: pros and cons of youth hunts [Re: Andrew Eastwood] #6353249
10/21/18 08:07 PM
10/21/18 08:07 PM
NE Ohio
J
Jeg Offline
trapper
Jeg  Offline
trapper
J

NE Ohio
I have to agree that youth hunts seem like a good idea, but wonder if we are trying to start youth out where they should be ending up. Let me ask you, where do you start kids out fishing? Fly fishing for steel head, how about muskie. No way you would say. Pan fish or something easier with a good chance of success. In Ohio we have special seasons for waterfowl, deer and turkey. Face it these are rather specialized types of hunts, with a higher degree of difficulty, are more involved, with a lower success rate. I think the appeal of these hunts are more in the mind of the parents than the kids. Question. What did you start out hunting or trapping, for that matter. For me it was squirrels rabbit and an occasional pheasant. Trapping it was muskrats, and I still love to trap rats. We seem to be in a rush to get our kids into the types of hunting we eventually evolved into over time. A few years ago, I talked with a young teen at a youth deer hunt at a local refuge. He said he got a nice 11 point at another hunt the year before and wouldn't shoot anything smaller that. I thought to myself, you are probably going to be disappointed at the end of the day. I also see that these special hunts don't attract brand new youth. In almost every case the dad was into hunting and their kids were going to be exposed to hunting, special hunts or not. Did I take my son to special hunts? Yes I did and we had a good time. Does he hunt today? No and I am fine with that

Re: pros and cons of youth hunts [Re: Andrew Eastwood] #6353377
10/21/18 10:08 PM
10/21/18 10:08 PM
Mi, Mecosta
A
ambush32 Offline
trapper
ambush32  Offline
trapper
A

Mi, Mecosta
I’m good with the youth hunts...I don’t bowhunt like I use to, but even when I was hunting hard with a bow the youth hunts never bothered me...

Thought I was a good trapper until I started trapping coyotes......
Thought I was a good bowhunter until I targeted mature bucks....
Re: pros and cons of youth hunts [Re: Andrew Eastwood] #6353445
10/22/18 12:03 AM
10/22/18 12:03 AM
N.C MO
T
TONY.F Offline
trapper
TONY.F  Offline
trapper
T

N.C MO
I don't even deer hunt anymore but I help every youth hunter that's interested in hunting! Supply them with gun clothes and property!11/3/18 im guiding in a wounded warriors hunt! I get more excited seeing youth and less fortunate tag a nice deer than my self any day! ive guided at our state spring handi cap turkey hunt for 15 years!And I will say ive never got that excited killing a turkey as I do when they
tag a big boss gobbler! this years hunt!

Last edited by TONY.F; 10/22/18 12:04 AM.

LIVE LIFE LIKE THEIR IS NO TOMMORROW
Re: pros and cons of youth hunts [Re: Andrew Eastwood] #6353488
10/22/18 05:47 AM
10/22/18 05:47 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
I love it! I could care less what other hunters think about youth hunts, I'm not in the woods trying to please others. It's about the kids that day, we have the whole season to be in the woods. If a hunter gets upset that a youth took his deer that he's been feeding all off season so be it.

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: pros and cons of youth hunts [Re: Andrew Eastwood] #6353513
10/22/18 06:44 AM
10/22/18 06:44 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Those of you promoting small game hunting for kids, I think that is great too. Squirrel hunt is the best trainer I know to let a kid learn how to sit still. Kinda like green eared sunfish learning to fish. Lots of action and opportunity to learn the basics.

I suspect those folks whining about youth deer season never watched a kid or grandkid shoot their first deer. Its as good as being a kid again.

shouldn't be long the leaves will be gone here. I love squirrel gravy

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: pros and cons of youth hunts [Re: Andrew Eastwood] #6353517
10/22/18 06:51 AM
10/22/18 06:51 AM
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

PA
Seeing each of my sons get their first deer are moments I'll never forget. But sitting with them by my side on beautiful fall days are some of my best memories.

Re: pros and cons of youth hunts [Re: OKforester] #6353594
10/22/18 08:37 AM
10/22/18 08:37 AM
Kentucky
countryboy3006 Offline
trapper
countryboy3006  Offline
trapper

Kentucky
Originally Posted By: OKforester
When they first started our youth hunt in Oklahoma it was doe only. Can you image sitting in a stand with a young hunter who has never killed a deer and having to watch a buck walk by only to tell them that we are saving the bucks for the black powder season that opens next weekend. Thankfully that rule was changed.

That's how our youth hunt started in KY. It was my first year hunting and my dad had to tell me I couldn't shoot the buck that was 15 yards from us. It was only a small 8 pointer but it looked like the Hanson buck to me at the time. Thankfully they changed the season to allow bucks the next year.

Re: pros and cons of youth hunts [Re: countryboy3006] #6353609
10/22/18 08:49 AM
10/22/18 08:49 AM
Near state college, PA, God Bl...
trapre Offline
trapper
trapre  Offline
trapper

Near state college, PA, God Bl...
Originally Posted By: countryboy3006
When they first started our youth hunt in Oklahoma it was doe only. Can you image sitting in a stand with a young hunter who has never killed a deer and having to watch a buck walk by only to tell them that we are saving the bucks for the black powder season that opens next weekend. Thankfully that rule was changed.

That's how our youth hunt started in KY. It was my first year hunting and my dad had to tell me I couldn't shoot the buck that was 15 yards from us. It was only a small 8 pointer but it looked like the Hanson buck to me at the time. Thankfully they changed the season to allow bucks the next year.
Yep, That's how it is here. Long story and I won't tell it here but IMO that's the stupidest rule ever for that reason.

"To not read the news is to be uninformed. To read the news is to be misinformed" -Mark Twain
Re: pros and cons of youth hunts [Re: countryboy3006] #6353706
10/22/18 10:41 AM
10/22/18 10:41 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted By: countryboy3006

So what you are saying is the youth couldn't participate during the special blackpowder season?

Who is John Galt?
Re: pros and cons of youth hunts [Re: Andrew Eastwood] #6353718
10/22/18 11:23 AM
10/22/18 11:23 AM
Akron, Ohio
bass10 Offline
trapper
bass10  Offline
trapper

Akron, Ohio
Youth need to be in the woods and is our future, to see them excited is what makes it awesome. As for antler hunting. To each their own. My son, his buddy and myself have been out one time so far and all three of us harvested a doe. I will probably harvest a couple more. Frankly, I could shoot a doe or small buck very easily. I'm after the challenge of a cagey old boy and nobody should put their beliefs on hunting to me.

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog!"
Re: pros and cons of youth hunts [Re: bblwi] #6353732
10/22/18 11:35 AM
10/22/18 11:35 AM
WI
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper
WIMarshRAT  Offline
trapper

WI
Originally Posted By: bblwi
To me the one aspect of youth hunts that here in WI has not worked as some may have hoped is that the number of youth that participate from non hunting families is minimal and a small percentage of all youth involved. If we are hoping to maintain hunter numbers or increase we need better ways to reach those youth. One aspect that I would like to see is what is the retention of youth that participate in youth hunts? How many purchase licenses say for 1, 3, 5 or more years after participation.

We need to find ways to reach the growing part of our society that is growing away from hunting and outdoor activities,not just providing more opportunities for those who would be hunting with their hunting families any way.
One of the advantages of teaching younger youth about trapping is that traps are set and you harvest what you catch. There is not nearly the emphasis on size, sex etc. etc. that there is in some of the other sporting activities.

Bryce

Agree 100%

I think you need to open up the youth hunt to first time adults hunters as well. Let's recruit some folks that haven't done it, have more disposable income / time and are more likely to keep doing it. Then we can help them recruit their kids too after they have the support in place.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Re: pros and cons of youth hunts [Re: Andrew Eastwood] #6353795
10/22/18 12:59 PM
10/22/18 12:59 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Personally, I think small game hunting is the way to increase recruitment. If that is your goal? Sounds like these Youth Hunts are "one and done" hunts. That was hunting little Johnny, see you same place and time next year. Don't lose your interest! You could squirrel hunt every day for months. Harvest squirrels every day. Maybe shoot a pheasant, grouse, or rabbit, too. See all kind of big bucks while you are squirrel hunting to drool about. No pressure and lots of fun. I'm probably wrong though.

Who is John Galt?
Re: pros and cons of youth hunts [Re: Andrew Eastwood] #6353802
10/22/18 01:12 PM
10/22/18 01:12 PM
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

PA
You are not wrong, dirt. I think you are spot on when it comes to hunter recruitment.

Re: pros and cons of youth hunts [Re: Andrew Eastwood] #6353873
10/22/18 03:18 PM
10/22/18 03:18 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
I like the early youth season because of the warmer weather. Cold weather can discourage some kids, particularly in the northern states. But, once they get the fever, the weather won't matter.

We are told not to judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but are told to judge all gunowners by the actions of a few.
Re: pros and cons of youth hunts [Re: Andrew Eastwood] #6354225
10/22/18 10:47 PM
10/22/18 10:47 PM
williams,mn
trapper les Offline
trapper
trapper les  Offline
trapper

williams,mn
One season, 8 days, shoot anything you want, cull the herd, get it over with so that trappers can have the woods back. Shooting deer isn't about sports, it's about meat, so get 'er done quick and efficient without wasting too much money.

I'm all about more opportunity for the trapper, and I fill that freezer quick and go back to trapping, and cant wait for the orange army to vacate the woods.

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
Re: pros and cons of youth hunts [Re: snowy] #6354228
10/22/18 10:51 PM
10/22/18 10:51 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Originally Posted By: snowy
Originally Posted By: Zim
If you have to have a "special" season, I'd rather see folks be able to take out an old hunter that would not be able to go on his own anymore or handle a deer if they got one. Same deal with a handicapped person.
Sorry folks, I do not see a reason to entitle children.

Zim

I agree with this ^. I know many youth hunter parents and the hunt is more for them then the child. I get a lot of pictures from the parents showing their child's kill. I am a strong believer in getting the young started but to have a special season I don't see it. The kids this year I have seen some of the trophy animals they got and this happens every year. I would dream of some of the once in a life time animals these kids are taking. I'm very happy for them but I can't see why one group has the advantage over the rest of the hunting population.

Not picking on ya, but I wonder how many of you that feel this way have kids of your own?

Re: pros and cons of youth hunts [Re: Andrew Eastwood] #6354234
10/22/18 10:55 PM
10/22/18 10:55 PM
williams,mn
trapper les Offline
trapper
trapper les  Offline
trapper

williams,mn
No kids here, just nephews and nieces, and they are all libs too.

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
Re: pros and cons of youth hunts [Re: Andrew Eastwood] #6354272
10/22/18 11:44 PM
10/22/18 11:44 PM
Western Colorado
C
coloradocat Offline
trapper
coloradocat  Offline
trapper
C

Western Colorado
R&R should begin with giving more kids licenses. Set a number and let them get after it. Issue a bunch of extra tags, your harvest average will fall into place.

More likely to keep them if they have certain success early. Work them to death and play them out is like ruining a good dog.

Colorado Search and Rescue- Interfering with natural selection since 1976
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread