No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? [Re: MAArcher] #6306379
08/20/18 03:37 PM
08/20/18 03:37 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted By: MAArcher
Well a month or so ago, a brought this furry crocodile into the home. They are a handful, and maybe not he best choice for a home where all family members aren't able to establish themselves as higher in the pecking order, but so far we're making due. He's got some basic commands down, is a retrieving maniac and is doing well on the tracking we just started to train for. He'll get introduced to live birds next week. Week after next I'll take him out for squirrels and see how he does.

What a beautiful dog! Makes me want to go out and get one!

We are told not to judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but are told to judge all gunowners by the actions of a few.
Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? [Re: MAArcher] #6306404
08/20/18 04:24 PM
08/20/18 04:24 PM
S.W. Ontario. Canada
D
Don Offline
trapper
Don  Offline
trapper
D

S.W. Ontario. Canada
There are some bits of correct info in this thread but as always, much misinformation and hearsay. The dogs can be possessive and some lines can be aggressive.
The first thing all dogs need to be taught and understand is you are the alfa of the pack no "if ands or buts"this should eliminate much of the tension. These dogs are smart beyond belief and may not like the rules but if you set them they understand.
I have Wirehairs not Drahts but the lines are traceable to solid Draht kennels.
1000yd blind retrieves not likely. Drags or tracks yes. 200 yd blinds I have done it.
I hunted field trial bred Labs for 10 years.Versatile dogs leave them in the dust. Do not expect versatiles to be as mechanical but far more natural instincts and abilities. If you want a dog you can handle through a key hole buy a lab. If you want a dog to find a bird or game you know dropped in an area send a versatile dog.We could burn out at least 2 labs a day not so with the Wires.
I have seen good and bad in all breeds but I know what I feed. DO your research before you put a deposit down don't rely on what someone else hard.

"Common sense, is uncommon, anymore"
Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? [Re: MAArcher] #6338564
10/02/18 12:56 PM
10/02/18 12:56 PM
MA
M
MAArcher Offline OP
trapper
MAArcher  Offline OP
trapper
M

MA
My puppy Wes has come in handy already this year. He's just four and a half months old and he's blood trailed two deer this past week! Fist track, my cousins spike horn, was easy. About 80 yards with good blood. Unfortunately the deer died on a wasps nest and when we we flipped him over, they swarmed all over the dog and I. I thought for sure that would turn him off deer tracking, but a few days later I arrowed a nice doe but my arrow got hung up in the offside shoulder so there was very little blood. But Wes followed that track just about as easy as the first. Track ended up being around 150 yards with large 5+ yard gaps in the blood trail and no big blood splashes at all, just pin drops the whole way. Not 100% certain I'd have found the deer without him.

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? [Re: MAArcher] #6338577
10/02/18 01:13 PM
10/02/18 01:13 PM
MA
M
MAArcher Offline OP
trapper
MAArcher  Offline OP
trapper
M

MA

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? [Re: MAArcher] #6338594
10/02/18 01:40 PM
10/02/18 01:40 PM
MA
M
MAArcher Offline OP
trapper
MAArcher  Offline OP
trapper
M

MA
Watching him track is so much fun I'm hoping that when I start trapping with my cousin in a few weeks we have some good spots to use drags so we can have the dog track them.

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? [Re: MAArcher] #6338608
10/02/18 02:18 PM
10/02/18 02:18 PM
North Carolina
DaYooper14 Offline
trapper
DaYooper14  Offline
trapper

North Carolina
I bet - great pics, sweet dog!

-- It seems all of Greece knows what is the right thing to do, but it is only the Spartans that do anything about it. --
Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? [Re: MAArcher] #6338951
10/02/18 09:25 PM
10/02/18 09:25 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
I owned one for a while...Beautiful dog out of ND. But hardheaded and you always had to stay on top with corrections. Sold him after a couple years for a mellower breed.

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? [Re: Aaron Proffitt] #6339034
10/02/18 10:56 PM
10/02/18 10:56 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Online content
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Online Content
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted By: Aaron Proffitt
Originally Posted By: Posco
I've never been a big fan of the versatile breeds. The ones I've seen do all things okay but nothing really well. I hunt grouse and woodcock over pointing dogs, one of them being a Brit, and yes, he does nip. Pigheaded male. My English Pointer wouldn't think of biting me.

Biggest BS statement of the year thus far . And we’re early into it .
kind of bad when a guy shares his opinion in a respectful way and someone reacts like that. I've hunted with only a couple and from what I've seen that would of been my opinion before I learn it was such BS.

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? [Re: MAArcher] #6339039
10/02/18 11:08 PM
10/02/18 11:08 PM
MT
B
bbasher Offline
trapper
bbasher  Offline
trapper
B

MT
Anybody who reads this and is considering a new dog should get a jagdterrier. They will out hunt any dog you've been around and then try to kill any dog you're around!

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? [Re: MAArcher] #6339067
10/03/18 12:07 AM
10/03/18 12:07 AM
Barnum, MN
S
ScottW Offline
trapper
ScottW  Offline
trapper
S

Barnum, MN
I guess most of my photos are too big and I don't feel like resizing them now! Anyways, congrats on your Draht!

I have a Draht named Hank (Immo vom Kennedy) and he is 7 1/2 now. I was thinking about getting a dog and actually had a post on here just before I got him. I was thinking about a Jagd, but someone mentioned Drahts when they read what I wanted in a dog and I'm very glad I went with a Draht. I mainly do upland with some water and a little blood trailing.

MANY things MANY posters have said are accurate in MY experience. Some things are way off of my experiences with them. One thing I woudl tell anyone thinking about a Draht.......if you aren't going to be able to give them LOTS of exercise and put in the time to train and hunt them, just get something else.

One thing I like about the Drahts is the German standard and testing system. Are their times when I wish he was a little calmer at all times? Yes, but the drive in the field and trainability balance that out for me.

I know you will thoroughly enjoy the Draht. Happy trapping! (And hunting) ScottW

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? [Re: MAArcher] #6339281
10/03/18 10:44 AM
10/03/18 10:44 AM
MA
M
MAArcher Offline OP
trapper
MAArcher  Offline OP
trapper
M

MA
Good looking dog Scott. Funny, my pup loves DQ too. They are a handful. All the comments about needing exercise, training, frequent (and often harsh) correction, are all true. Hopefully when the pups a little older I'll confirm that all the good stuff about talent in the field is true as well.

Good luck this season and Fear the Beard!

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? [Re: 330-Trapper] #6354504
10/23/18 10:13 AM
10/23/18 10:13 AM
MA
M
MAArcher Offline OP
trapper
MAArcher  Offline OP
trapper
M

MA
Originally Posted By: 330-Trapper
I owned one for a while...Beautiful dog out of ND. But hardheaded and you always had to stay on top with corrections. Sold him after a couple years for a mellower breed.

Before this dog, I'd have questioned your character; how can anyone give up on a dog they take into their home? Now I know. These dogs aren't for everyone and they can certainly wear you down. I've given some thought about selling Wes, but every time I think I'm ready to give up he does something to make me think otherwise.

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? [Re: MAArcher] #6354583
10/23/18 12:02 PM
10/23/18 12:02 PM
Maine
M
Mac Offline
trapper
Mac  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
I love dogs but this one I have yet to own or hunt with. I think they are a beautiful breed. Some day when I have become rich and famous, therefore having time and money to bird hunt and trap I will get one!

LOL
Mac

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? [Re: MAArcher] #6354684
10/23/18 03:17 PM
10/23/18 03:17 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Super cool but Hardheaded

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? [Re: MAArcher] #6354880
10/23/18 07:15 PM
10/23/18 07:15 PM
S.W. Ontario. Canada
D
Don Offline
trapper
Don  Offline
trapper
D

S.W. Ontario. Canada
As I stated earlier they are very intelligent if you don't have the time to put into them,don't try one... they will find a way to keep from getting bored,if you can't. That does not always have a positive outcome. They are a lot like teenagers.

"Common sense, is uncommon, anymore"
Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? [Re: MAArcher] #6355135
10/24/18 12:13 AM
10/24/18 12:13 AM
AK
2dogs Offline
trapper
2dogs  Offline
trapper

AK
I have owned labs, goldens, and a chessie the last 45 years. Last 3.5 I have had a Draht. Much of what has been said here is very true. he is the most athletic dog I have ever been around, even more than my Chessie. My first pointing dog and I heeded some advice that told me to let him chase birds as he will never catch one, not true. He has eaten a few grouse. Caught a hare as well. Watched him snatch a training chukar out of the air 10 feet up on the wing. Super smart and trainable, a better trainer would have a lot more out of him. It is truly amazing how fast he can learn things.

The prey drive and birdiness is of the charts, to the point of obsession. Also quick to get in a fight which I do not like. Great dogs for bird hunting, and will run fox for hours. Kind of far ranging and will run head up past birds. For waterfowl just not the coat of a lab or Chessie, and I hunt in the salt water of PWS so it will never happen with him. Super driven to fetch but not the natural retrieving ability of a lab or Chessie but way more seek and find ability. These dogs are truly special and I feel like I have not touched his potential, kind of like if I had a Ferrari for my costco runs.

Also clever/dodgy. leave a Red Salmon or Moose roast to thaw on the counter unattended and all I will find is the empty wrapper hidden under the couch that evening. Force fetch is very necessary, that is a bone crunching mouth.

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? [Re: BIRDOGS] #6355144
10/24/18 01:44 AM
10/24/18 01:44 AM
Bonner County, Idaho
Wild_Idaho Offline
trapper
Wild_Idaho  Offline
trapper

Bonner County, Idaho
Originally Posted By: BIRDOGS
hey, I have hunted over both, drahthaar and pudle pointers, wirehairs and shorthairs... this is my advice if your thinking about getting a pup..... socialize with many dogs and many people. I had 8 pudle pointers at one time and loved that breed, German hunting dogs are awesome hunters and are very focused. that's the good news. The reason I switched over to labs was because I got very tired of breaking up dog fights which get the people I hunted with very upset. German hunting dogs are moody about other dogs and other people just like/much like chessies. Each has a fierce possessive traits about game, protecting the roost, and protecting the owner. I loved the drive and point instinct in all my dogs, but while hunting with others, kept my dogs close to me while hunting, and kept people away from the ducks after they were back in the blind. Also, with any German hunting dog, plan on force fetch training.... they will eat a duck while you stand there yelling.... seen it many times!

Plan on strong tough obedience training....in other words, if that dog is more worried about you than he is about the dog next to him that he doesn't know, your hunt will be very peaceful.

Funny... I have always had German bird dogs. Have had wirehairs, shorthairs and Kurzhaars... never have had any issues at all with fights in the field. Had two males that didn't get along at home when (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) were in season. Curious what made you come to that conclusion. A good bird dog puts birds first and everything else aside.

Real name Eric
The sharpest hammer in the box of crayons.

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? [Re: MAArcher] #6355145
10/24/18 02:08 AM
10/24/18 02:08 AM
OK
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper
Aaron Proffitt  Offline
trapper

OK
Agreed. One of the most aggressive dogs i ever owned was a Lab . Especially around other dogs.

Honor a Soldier. Be the kind of American worth fighting for.
Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? [Re: MAArcher] #6355434
10/24/18 12:52 PM
10/24/18 12:52 PM
MN--Far from the crowds
DTOM Offline
trapper
DTOM  Offline
trapper

MN--Far from the crowds
I've owned and hunted several Drahts and a few NAVHDA German Wirehairs. With a DD you are paying for all the selections, culling and testing done to the dogs in the generations before yours. You can not breed without the breed wardens approval. In my opinion, having owned both, is that the VDD program sets you up to get a dog that is very consistent to the breed. Does that make an individual dog a better hunter?... I dont think so.

I now hunt FDSB English Setters. Less drama. Less sharpness. Less worries about encountering other hunters dogs while out hunting.

DONT TREAD ON ME
Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6355438
10/24/18 01:01 PM
10/24/18 01:01 PM
MN--Far from the crowds
DTOM Offline
trapper
DTOM  Offline
trapper

MN--Far from the crowds
The ones I've owned never really looked for a fight...but would sure end one if others started it. I find that unacceptable now but thought nothing of it a few decades ago. They also had a great memory and seemed to hold a grudge against anything they thought had wrong them. Almost all of mine had that trait. I had a female in the 90's that was knocked off the tailgate by a Chessy when she was young and never forgot about it and hated Chessies from that point on until she passed.

I'm sure it's not all DD's but certain lines are definitely known for being over protective and occasionally dog aggressive. Just like the Jagds I've owned...some sweet as tea...some very aggressive. Especially if you got "old world" lines from Europe.

DONT TREAD ON ME
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread