No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
taking the dog for a run #6361271
10/30/18 08:51 PM
10/30/18 08:51 PM
indiana
W
wamp Offline OP
trapper
wamp  Offline OP
trapper
W

indiana
Been walking over some of my trapping ground the last couple of weeks taking my 2 year old mountain cur with me. Twice we have came up on deer in the brush edge she has not even acted like she was going to give chase. This may be due to being to tired after stopping to pee about a twenty times. Tonight she stood and watch a doe, about 40 yards away, run off and clear a fence.
I hope this is what i can expect in the future, I don't think so but maybe.

"Keep your traps free"
Re: taking the dog for a run [Re: wamp] #6361314
10/30/18 09:35 PM
10/30/18 09:35 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
In my experience, with beagles, German shorthaired pointers, brittanies and vislas, most better bred dogs are trash broke from birth. They mostly only have the drive to hunt what they are bred for. Your dog may be the same way.

Keith

Re: taking the dog for a run [Re: wamp] #6361343
10/30/18 10:02 PM
10/30/18 10:02 PM
indiana
W
wamp Offline OP
trapper
wamp  Offline OP
trapper
W

indiana
that would be very nice

"Keep your traps free"
Re: taking the dog for a run [Re: wamp] #6361419
10/31/18 12:08 AM
10/31/18 12:08 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
My beagle did not get the memo then she would chase anything that runs I believe, she seen a guy riding a horse the other day she thought that was very shady for some reason the hair on her neck was raised up. LOL

Today I stopped at the bro-in -laws and she barked at their cats for 20 minutes straight. A real bone head for sure.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: taking the dog for a run [Re: wamp] #6361528
10/31/18 07:52 AM
10/31/18 07:52 AM
southwest, VA
andyva Offline
trapper
andyva  Offline
trapper

southwest, VA
Beagles are commonly used to run deer to gun. "Naturally broke" is a very misunderstood field. Usually it means that the dog has very poor body conformation that makes it hurt too much to go on a long race. Others are so attached to their people that they aren't going to venture very far. But there are some genetically based species specific prey drive responses too, but they are rarer than people would have you believe.

For the most part, if you get something that is built good and likes to run a track, and has a lot of drive to hunt, and is independent enough to leave your flashlight beam, you are going to need an e-collar if you don't want to chase deer.

Re: taking the dog for a run [Re: wamp] #6361533
10/31/18 08:00 AM
10/31/18 08:00 AM
SD
T
Turd Furgeson Offline
trapper
Turd Furgeson  Offline
trapper
T

SD
My mountain cur would chase the tar out of deer as a young pup, I’m talking like as far as the eye could see and be gone for 30 min to an hour backtracking his way back to the truck, an e-collar put an end to that in a hurry. If it’s already two years old maybe you got lucky but I would think sooner or later it’s gonna get a wild hair and give it a chase, and probably have a good ole time doing it.

Re: taking the dog for a run [Re: wamp] #6361593
10/31/18 09:41 AM
10/31/18 09:41 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
She looks innocent but she is just trouble waiting to happen! LOL Loves to run a track so she is on a leash everyplace we go or she is gone chasing rabbits!

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: taking the dog for a run [Re: andyva] #6361633
10/31/18 10:30 AM
10/31/18 10:30 AM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted By: andyva
Beagles are commonly used to run deer to gun. "Naturally broke" is a very misunderstood field. Usually it means that the dog has very poor body conformation that makes it hurt too much to go on a long race. Others are so attached to their people that they aren't going to venture very far. But there are some genetically based species specific prey drive responses too, but they are rarer than people would have you believe.

For the most part, if you get something that is built good and likes to run a track, and has a lot of drive to hunt, and is independent enough to leave your flashlight beam, you are going to need an e-collar if you don't want to chase deer.

Not true at all in my experience. I had very fast, well built beagles including 4 daughters of International Field Champions, a daughter of Turbo Powered by Prop, unarguably one of the best producers of fast dogs of all times and Blueman's Soda Pop, who was ranked 4th in the World in 2012 and who was a Champion in UKC, ARHA, NKC and who needed 1 more win to be a quadruple champion. At least 22 beagles I produced championed out in fast formats. I started large numbers of pups and did not have a single deer chase.

Keith

Re: taking the dog for a run [Re: KeithC] #6361690
10/31/18 11:26 AM
10/31/18 11:26 AM
southwest, VA
andyva Offline
trapper
andyva  Offline
trapper

southwest, VA
All beagles are not created equal. Some are bred for deer, some are bred for rabbits. Having a pack of broke dogs to learn from is a good way to keep them on the right track. You will hear a lot of stories from coon hunters about naturally broke dogs. Old so and so, ran a deer one time, never again. That is usually because one good deer race stove him up so bad he never wanted to do it again. If you take a look at him you will see why, paddle footed big headed thing. A lot of the cur dogs don't mess with deer much. A lot of that is because they don't like to get too far away from their owner. Don't get me wrong, you can kill a pile of game with them, but they don't like to take off on a race for the next ten hours. (One of the reasons you can kill a pile of game with them, you are hunting game and not hunting dogs) Bird dogs are the same way, bred to stay close. There is a growing number of bird dogs, and bird dog hound crosses being used to hunt deer on small acreages. They jump a deer and run him a couple hundred yards, if he gets by the standers he comes back and everybody can set up some place else.

Re: taking the dog for a run [Re: wamp] #6361758
10/31/18 01:49 PM
10/31/18 01:49 PM
indiana
W
wamp Offline OP
trapper
wamp  Offline OP
trapper
W

indiana
She is still on a e-collar and will be she is after all still a dog

"Keep your traps free"
Re: taking the dog for a run [Re: wamp] #6361782
10/31/18 02:39 PM
10/31/18 02:39 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
I have a very well bred Beagle, (Thanks Brian Mall) That won't sniff twice at a Deer track, Jumped one and she just watched it go, then went right back to looking for a Bunny. Breeding will tell, Shock collars are an invaluable training aid, that said, i'ts likely that more good dogs have been ruined by a collar, than bad ones have been saved.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread