No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
OT Looking for welding jobs #6363944
11/03/18 10:40 AM
11/03/18 10:40 AM
wyoming/ILLINOIS
T
Timothy Offline OP
trapper
Timothy  Offline OP
trapper
T

wyoming/ILLINOIS
My 27 y/o son is looking to move on from the company he is working for now. He is a certified welder with 9 certificates and uses stick/mig/tig. He loves to travel and has excellent work ethics. He graduated from a tech school near Peoria. He is single. If anyone knows a company looking for good welders let me know.
The reasons are many for wanting to move from his current job but mostly they hired him to weld and lately they are building gas stations with no welding- basically made him a laborer doing concrete work and working with non-metal piping. he does it but his passion is welding.
He can pass any welding test out there.
Tim

Re: OT Looking for welding jobs [Re: Timothy] #6364488
11/03/18 11:07 PM
11/03/18 11:07 PM
charlotte,nc
Brett Thomas Offline
trapper
Brett Thomas  Offline
trapper

charlotte,nc
Does he have a rig and 6g certified ? Most certs / AP numbers are owned by the company and don't transfer. I've retested every time I've switched jobs. My old company builds ammonia cooling systems
. They're always hiring great owners but 3 weeks on 10 days off stinks. Alwaysgone when they're busy. Great money but after 5 years and birth of my son I got a job close to home.

Re: OT Looking for welding jobs [Re: Timothy] #6364492
11/03/18 11:15 PM
11/03/18 11:15 PM
charlotte,nc
Brett Thomas Offline
trapper
Brett Thomas  Offline
trapper

charlotte,nc
Also not to be intrusive but if he has a addictive personality, he cannot travel
Have alot of friends who fell victim to alcohol and drugs . That free time after work really gets lonely sometimes and the weaker ones always went to the bottle or drugs for comfort.

Re: OT Looking for welding jobs [Re: Timothy] #6364509
11/03/18 11:41 PM
11/03/18 11:41 PM
Northern Wisconsin,Rhinelander
Hodagtrapper Offline
Muskrat Master
Hodagtrapper  Offline
Muskrat Master

Northern Wisconsin,Rhinelander
Large manufacturing facility in Rhinelander, WI named Lake Shore Systems is always hiring certified welders. They specialize in producing large equipment for the maritime and mining industries nationwide. Good company!

Chris

>>In God we trust<<
Re: OT Looking for welding jobs [Re: Timothy] #6364512
11/03/18 11:43 PM
11/03/18 11:43 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
Like above has said, cert's don't transfer, every job has their own standard and they most always test if there is a liability issue on jobs.

I had welder after welder have a fit when hiring for a very large pipe job we were doing, showing me all kinds of cert tickets, papers and such, just told them nice for that place, won't do for here, take the test or move on !
Some did leave and others took it and we hired them. Some could pass tests and could not do the work as well.

His best is to be a roamer and work jobs where needed, move from job to job, with either a truck setup or after a while on the road just reputation, lots of money and per Diem per job.

However it's not very appealing for social life or married with kids, most never see them and are just making dollars to send home, or drink it away, if he's not strong of stature it's not for him no matter the dollars.

All welding jobs at one time or another have spaces in them where there is no welding work, while waiting for more or material.

He should access the long term instead of the short term for work, sometimes it's better to see things through instead of jumping over fences for taller grass !!

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Re: OT Looking for welding jobs [Re: Timothy] #6364513
11/03/18 11:53 PM
11/03/18 11:53 PM
NW MO
T
TurkeyTime Offline
trapper
TurkeyTime  Offline
trapper
T

NW MO
Altec, Saint Joe, MO

Re: OT Looking for welding jobs [Re: Timothy] #6364516
11/04/18 12:05 AM
11/04/18 12:05 AM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm

Re: OT Looking for welding jobs [Re: Timothy] #6364576
11/04/18 06:38 AM
11/04/18 06:38 AM
Lorain Co., Ohio
D
DanlDon Offline
trapper
DanlDon  Offline
trapper
D

Lorain Co., Ohio
My company is hiring welders. They can't seem to find people that want to work. They have brought in lots of outside contractors to weld because they can't find local to hire. Six days a week mandatory Sunday voluntary. All Tig and a little Mig on Stainless only. https://careers-jbtc.icims.com/jobs/3652/welder/job

Don
Life Member OSTA, Member NTA, Life Member NRA, LCBA
Re: OT Looking for welding jobs [Re: GritGuy] #6364578
11/04/18 06:40 AM
11/04/18 06:40 AM
charlotte,nc
Brett Thomas Offline
trapper
Brett Thomas  Offline
trapper

charlotte,nc
Originally Posted By: GritGuy
Like above has said, cert's don't transfer, every job has their own standard and they most always test if there is a liability issue on jobs.

I had welder after welder have a fit when hiring for a very large pipe job we were doing, showing me all kinds of cert tickets, papers and such, just told them nice for that place, won't do for here, take the test or move on !
Some did leave and others took it and we hired them. Some could pass tests and could not do the work as well.

His best is to be a roamer and work jobs where needed, move from job to job, with either a truck setup or after a while on the road just reputation, lots of money and per Diem per job.

However it's not very appealing for social life or married with kids, most never see them and are just making dollars to send home, or drink it away, if he's not strong of stature it's not for him no matter the dollars.

All welding jobs at one time or another have spaces in them where there is no welding work, while waiting for more or material.

He should access the long term instead of the short term for work, sometimes it's better to see things through instead of jumping over fences for taller grass !!

What type of work did you do grit?

Re: OT Looking for welding jobs [Re: Timothy] #6364755
11/04/18 11:50 AM
11/04/18 11:50 AM
wyoming/ILLINOIS
T
Timothy Offline OP
trapper
Timothy  Offline OP
trapper
T

wyoming/ILLINOIS
Brett- He is NOT an addictive personality. Single-few friends and likes it that way.Makes friends easily but is more like me- Best partner I ever worked with is myself (just a fact). No he doesn't have a rig and can and willingly pass test on site. The certs he has was just for examples as to what he has done in the past.

Thanks for the reply Grit Guy- I guess what I was saying on the lack of welding at current location was that was the carrot they dangled to get him to work for them. He was the top of his class and persued by employers and his current company plus it was a perfect fit they needed a welder to travel and he wanted to travel. Now the company has changed directions they want to go and welding is not in their future. And to be honest he sick and tired of working with warm bodies they hire that ARE addictive personalities that they hire for laborer positions and couldn't pass a drug test if it meant life or death.

He has to much $ and skill and desire to be tied to drug infested laborers and such.

Sorry if some of you think all young people are snowflakes and substance abusers...My two sons are NOT ! I raised them right.

He is looking for a reputable company that hires quality people and weeds out the riff-raff-drug/alcohol abusers and lazy workers.

I understand all that you guys mentioned and it must be a major problem as the things some of you mentioned are the very thing he is trying to get away from lazy workers-drug/alcohol abusers/relatives of workers taking advantage etc. etc.

Like I said earlier he can pass any test out there just needs the chance. Also he prefers the field and not manufacturing production line work...

I keep hearing about all the jobs out there and no workers and how the economy is on fire there has to be a position for him that is a perfect fit.

I tell my sons all the time travel NOW and see the country/World then when you get tired of it settle down and start a family or not.

Re: OT Looking for welding jobs [Re: Timothy] #6364770
11/04/18 12:15 PM
11/04/18 12:15 PM
SE Kansas
K
K52 Offline
trapper
K52  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kansas
I just googled pipeline jobs and Mid Ohio pipeline came up. Sounds like what your son might want, I know nothing about them and am not a welder. Had friends that pipelined when they were younger, it's a demanding job and can be brutal conditions but he can see the world if he really wants too. Might have to work as a welders helper to get a foot in the door and swallow a little pride, but it could literally open up the door to the world. Lot of guys got started that way. Good luck.

Re: OT Looking for welding jobs [Re: Timothy] #6364853
11/04/18 02:36 PM
11/04/18 02:36 PM
minot, ND
B
bvrtrpr Offline
trapper
bvrtrpr  Offline
trapper
B

minot, ND
I'm sure there are dozens of welding jobs in the oil fields here, lots of jobs available.

Re: OT Looking for welding jobs [Re: Timothy] #6364883
11/04/18 03:13 PM
11/04/18 03:13 PM
wyoming/ILLINOIS
T
Timothy Offline OP
trapper
Timothy  Offline OP
trapper
T

wyoming/ILLINOIS
K52 thanks- I know he wouldn't mind being a welders helper. Doesn't hurt to swallow a little pride or be humble.

Re: OT Looking for welding jobs [Re: Timothy] #6364911
11/04/18 03:49 PM
11/04/18 03:49 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
Brett, I'm a journeyman Steel detailer by trade, but was a foreman in a small shop for the last 7 almost 8 years, 45 plus years of all type of welding and steel work, until the owner hired a new office guy who talked him out of me LOL for his nephew to come in and run things cheaper, now the place is a heap of trash.

At the time of my reply above we were doing a very large pipe job for a oil refinery here in the city, every one had to be certified for pipe 6G, regardless if you just came with new ones from a previous job else where even in this state.

Being a welders helper is not going to make your son any more happy than doing what he is doing now. Most all they do is cut and deburr material and help hold fit ups, then deburr so more !

He's better to learn fitting work for pipers, then he can get hired on for pipe work either as a welder or fitter/welder, and contrary to what others may say there is a difference between pipers and structural welders, the pay can be the same but the work is quite different.

If your son wants top dollars he should learn Tig if he don't already and stay in the pipe fields, there are not enough good Tiggers to go around, and be able to weld exotics for more dollars !

I always made a point of making sure pipe fitters got the same pay as the pipe welders, they have to hold to a very strict tolerance for the pipe as do the welders to pass the tests, if you have a good fitter with a good piper, you have a great team to put work out !

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Re: OT Looking for welding jobs [Re: Timothy] #6365682
11/05/18 12:53 PM
11/05/18 12:53 PM
wyoming/ILLINOIS
T
Timothy Offline OP
trapper
Timothy  Offline OP
trapper
T

wyoming/ILLINOIS
Grit, Everything you described above my son does. Tig is his passion and he is very good at it. The company was building bulk fertilizer and petroleum plants and my son did the measuring/fitting/deburring /mock up and welding, he has welders helpers.

I was just hoping someone knew of a company that was in need of a good welder that he could apply to and test to show them his skills. This son excels at testing, the bigger the challenge or job the better he is. I must say he is super confident in is abilities.

He is ready to move on to a company that appreciates his type of skills and dedication...Basically trying to avoid companies that are a waste of time telling you just what you want to hear and then find out the company is crap.

His current company has changed directions not him. They are doing a gas station or truck stop and most pipe he says is not metal. Something new ? I don't know.

I appreciate every ones replies questions and answers.

Re: OT Looking for welding jobs [Re: Timothy] #6365696
11/05/18 01:21 PM
11/05/18 01:21 PM
Tug Hill, NY
Redknot Offline
trapper
Redknot  Offline
trapper

Tug Hill, NY
https://www.syracuse.com/business-news/i...art_river_index

^^^^^
This place put me through college...Lots of travel and mostly TIG...

~Illegitimi Non Carborundum~
Re: OT Looking for welding jobs [Re: Timothy] #6365713
11/05/18 01:41 PM
11/05/18 01:41 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
sounds like y'all don't know about Indeed Jobs...here is 3200 of welder positions nationwide:
https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=welder+fabricator&l=
work 'puter may not send link.....but you got the site

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: OT Looking for welding jobs [Re: Timothy] #6365715
11/05/18 01:44 PM
11/05/18 01:44 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
https://www.indeed.com/

put welder fabricator in the box and no town, then the 3200 jobs show

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread