No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Mountain Feist or Catahoula or something else? [Re: KeithC] #6321695
09/10/18 11:47 AM
09/10/18 11:47 AM
Shenandoah County, VA
L
l1ranger Offline
trapper
l1ranger  Offline
trapper
L

Shenandoah County, VA
we have a catahoula - one thing is that you absolutely have to be able to train the dog. they are a bit stubborn and I've caught myself letting him form some habits I should never have allowed.

he is a good watch dog, if something moves or makes a sound, he lets us know. he sounds like he's going to eat everybody that shows up, but is fine once we greet the visitors.

he brings home rodents all the time, and will chase just about anything in the yard. he's been find with the chickens, but they were there first and and we had to watch him close as a pup. now he just like to try to push them back in the run when they are ranging.

He's good with other dogs, maybe a little invasive. really likes to check out the other dogs, but is not confrontational. We made sure we socialized him as a pup, knowing he wasn't going to encounter many dogs just staying at the house.

we let him run at the house, with no worries of him not coming back. he's always been within earshot, and returns when called. sometimes it takes a minute, but you can usually hear him clabbering through the leaves trying to get back.

I'll say it again, stubborn and hard headed.

Josh
Re: Mountain Feist or Catahoula or something else? [Re: KeithC] #6323484
09/12/18 01:44 PM
09/12/18 01:44 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Online content OP
trapper
KeithC  Online Content OP
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Thanks everyone. You have gave me a lot to think about.

Keith

Re: Mountain Feist or Catahoula or something else? [Re: KeithC] #6365153
11/04/18 07:57 PM
11/04/18 07:57 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Online content OP
trapper
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
I still plan on getting another feist someday and would like to get a catahoula at some point too, but I got this puppy today. She is half English Sheperd and half Anatolian Shepherd. She has a really nice personality. She should be my near constant companion for many years to come. I think she will make a good all around farm dog. She was born 8/25/2018 and weighs 16.4 pounds. She was bottle fed, because her mother did not produce much milk.

Keith

Re: Mountain Feist or Catahoula or something else? [Re: KeithC] #6365181
11/04/18 08:31 PM
11/04/18 08:31 PM
Henry Co, IL
3togo Offline
trapper
3togo  Offline
trapper

Henry Co, IL
A fellow bowhunter I know has two Blue Lacy's. They are somewhat considered to be a herding dog, but he has trained them to be trialing dogs for recovering wounded/shot deer that are proving difficult to recover. They are also extremely athletic.

Re: Mountain Feist or Catahoula or something else? [Re: 3togo] #6365239
11/04/18 09:22 PM
11/04/18 09:22 PM
Morgantown, WV
D
Dfabs Offline
trapper
Dfabs  Offline
trapper
D

Morgantown, WV
Catahoulas are one of my favorite dogs. I would love to have enough land to have one.

Re: Mountain Feist or Catahoula or something else? [Re: KeithC] #6365649
11/05/18 11:44 AM
11/05/18 11:44 AM
Shenandoah County, VA
L
l1ranger Offline
trapper
l1ranger  Offline
trapper
L

Shenandoah County, VA
good looking pooch keith - hope you two have lots of years together

Josh
Re: Mountain Feist or Catahoula or something else? [Re: KeithC] #6365655
11/05/18 11:53 AM
11/05/18 11:53 AM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
How do these feist, curs and lacys do being an outside dog in northern areas?

Edit:I've been thinking about a small Spitz type dog but there ones in north America don't seem to be field/game bred but more house pets.

Last edited by Pike River; 11/05/18 11:56 AM.
Re: Mountain Feist or Catahoula or something else? [Re: Pike River] #6365703
11/05/18 01:32 PM
11/05/18 01:32 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Online content OP
trapper
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted By: Pike River
How do these feist, curs and lacys do being an outside dog in northern areas?

Edit:I've been thinking about a small Spitz type dog but there ones in north America don't seem to be field/game bred but more house pets.

A lot of the Norwegian Elk Hounds still hunt well. Some have been bred for appearance only now, so you have to be careful, which you buy to hunt. They have plenty of hair for cold weather.

Keith

Re: Mountain Feist or Catahoula or something else? [Re: KeithC] #6365740
11/05/18 02:07 PM
11/05/18 02:07 PM
Indiana
S
Sharpsman Offline
trapper
Sharpsman  Offline
trapper
S

Indiana
My current English Shepherd is hands down the best dog I have ever owned.Easiest dog I have ever trained,and probably the most athletic.He went through a stage at about 9 months old were he thought he was the Chief not an Indian but hey what adolescent doesn't.I have owned about everything mentioned above minus a Ridgeback and Jag.Owned a Ladner bred Blackmouth that was the craziest thing I have ever seen,he could out dig a Badger and barked every time his foot hit the ground.

Re: Mountain Feist or Catahoula or something else? [Re: l1ranger] #6365743
11/05/18 02:11 PM
11/05/18 02:11 PM
N.C MO
T
TONY.F Offline
trapper
TONY.F  Offline
trapper
T

N.C MO
Originally Posted By: l1ranger
we have a catahoula - one thing is that you absolutely have to be able to train the dog. they are a bit stubborn and I've caught myself letting him form some habits I should never have allowed.

he is a good watch dog, if something moves or makes a sound, he lets us know. he sounds like he's going to eat everybody that shows up, but is fine once we greet the visitors.

he brings home rodents all the time, and will chase just about anything in the yard. he's been find with the chickens, but they were there first and and we had to watch him close as a pup. now he just like to try to push them back in the run when they are ranging.

He's good with other dogs, maybe a little invasive. really likes to check out the other dogs, but is not confrontational. We made sure we socialized him as a pup, knowing he wasn't going to encounter many dogs just staying at the house.

we let him run at the house, with no worries of him not coming back. he's always been within earshot, and returns when called. sometimes it takes a minute, but you can usually hear him clabbering through the leaves trying to get back.

I'll say it again, stubborn and hard headed.

you just described a aire dale to a t

LIVE LIFE LIKE THEIR IS NO TOMMORROW
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread