No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Got a Doe Saturday. Whats for Supper? *pics* #6365627
11/05/18 10:56 AM
11/05/18 10:56 AM
Ohio
OhioBoy Offline OP
trapper
OhioBoy  Offline OP
trapper

Ohio
Got a Doe Saturday. Sat in my stand at first light and she walked under me I'll say 15 minutes later going to last years salt lick location. Sat about 10 minutes and snuck back to the truck, went home, got the boy, got the quad, and showed him where the arrow was and told him to start tracking. He's 15 and wouldn't get out of bed at dawn. I didn't make an issue of it. She was a double lunger and was spewing blood out both sides but I still think he still learned a few things tracking her out. Loaded it up and headed home. Hung it in the barn, dressed it, saved the heart, liver, tongue, and inner loins. I had never done that before but we've been watching meat eater and thought we'd give it a go. It was all good. It really was. The boy freaked himself out over thinking it though so of course he didn't like it. If you just ate it with no prejudice it was all good. The tongue was sweet like any tongue. The liver wasn't too livery but I got the fat off cubed it and rinsed it really well. The heart was a tougher texture than the liver but breaded it all kinda tasted the same. Anyway, thought I'd share the story.

What I learned? I could have had a wild game fry and fed about 8-10 people with stuff I've always just thrown out. I had no idea a deer liver was so dang large. Probably 3-4+ lbs of meat.

Re: Got a Doe Saturday. Whats for Supper? *pics* [Re: OhioBoy] #6365639
11/05/18 11:21 AM
11/05/18 11:21 AM
Ohio
Ronaround Offline
trapper
Ronaround  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Well that was a good picture list of a good day for you.
Sorry ,hopefully your son will come to appreciate the experience you just had before its too late in life for him.
Never had the heart either or liver but gonna give it a try!

Re: Got a Doe Saturday. Whats for Supper? *pics* [Re: OhioBoy] #6365641
11/05/18 11:28 AM
11/05/18 11:28 AM
Ohio
OhioBoy Offline OP
trapper
OhioBoy  Offline OP
trapper

Ohio
Get all of the fat trimmed off and don't over cook it and it will turn out just fine. I think cubing it and rising it really well helped the liver. It was really mild and didn't taste anything like liver you think about.

Re: Got a Doe Saturday. Whats for Supper? *pics* [Re: OhioBoy] #6365642
11/05/18 11:29 AM
11/05/18 11:29 AM
Newton N.H.
T
trapete Offline
trapper
trapete  Offline
trapper
T

Newton N.H.
never tried the tongue, love the liver and loins the heart I would try again also.

Re: Got a Doe Saturday. Whats for Supper? *pics* [Re: OhioBoy] #6365658
11/05/18 12:03 PM
11/05/18 12:03 PM
Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
west river rogue Offline
trapper
west river rogue  Offline
trapper

Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
i never cut the liver in little pieces....deer liver is mild.....especially does. Good you got a taste!! The rub is on here now

Re: Got a Doe Saturday. Whats for Supper? *pics* [Re: OhioBoy] #6365683
11/05/18 12:55 PM
11/05/18 12:55 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
a friends mom would collect up all the hearts and make a big pot of dear heart gravy.

good stuff he would then bring it to work and we would eat deer heart gravy on toast for lunch.

she cleaned then cubed the heart up small for the gravy.

I have had beef tongue but never tried deer , have to put that on my list for this year.

my cousin collects up all the livers we don't want.

I also am thinking I am going to start skinning and quartering and tossing it in the big cooler while they are still warm , probably won't take me more than 10 minutes longer than field dress and rinse we do now.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Got a Doe Saturday. Whats for Supper? *pics* [Re: OhioBoy] #6365710
11/05/18 01:40 PM
11/05/18 01:40 PM
Shenandoah County, VA
L
l1ranger Offline
trapper
l1ranger  Offline
trapper
L

Shenandoah County, VA
the heart is the second best part behind the loins - then backstrap comes in third.

congrats on puttin some in the freezer

Josh
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread