No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Maine Trappers [Re: scalloper] #6398102
12/13/18 11:22 PM
12/13/18 11:22 PM
Northern Maine
Jeremiah Wood Offline
trapper
Jeremiah Wood  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Originally Posted by scalloper
Originally Posted by Sabao
Love to see this post. I always thought that trappers were resourceful and persevered in the face of adversity. It's nice to see the true Maine trappers adapt and keep doing what they love despite the restrictions.

With all due respect your statment is true except we are still dealing with death by 1,000 cuts as they are regulating us out of being effective and efficient.We can get the odd fisher in the required device we are forced to use but as another mentioned he sees 4-5 refusals to each catch and to catch a fisher over 10 lbs would be rare.

I kind of see this issue from multiple perspectives. On one hand, there's a time to speak up about overly restrictive regulations and fight them, and there are some avenues to do that which are more effective than others. On the other hand, there is a time to make the best of a tough situation and get out there and enjoy trapping, embrace the challenge and be thankful for what we still have. Too much of one of those things without the other is unhealthy for the trapping community.

Many of the older Maine trappers I know are now sitting home and complaining about the complexity of the new regulations. They are not actively trapping, supporting trappers organizations, or encouraging others to get out trapping. There are others who are adapting and catching decent amounts of fur, although as you guys mention it's more difficult to do so.

Some of what I'm doing in my own trapping, working with my two boys, and sharing through the podcast episodes is an effort to focus on the positive side of trapping, recruit new trappers, activate old ones, and help build a stronger, active, informed base of trappers to influence things for the better moving forward. I hate these regulations just as much as the next guy, I've just chosen to save my unhappiness for the time and place where I believe it will be most effective.

Re: Maine Trappers [Re: ebsurveyor] #6398108
12/13/18 11:28 PM
12/13/18 11:28 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
The reason behind so many of our woes. A lynx track close to some of my cat sets.

[Linked Image]

Re: Maine Trappers [Re: ebsurveyor] #6398131
12/13/18 11:50 PM
12/13/18 11:50 PM
sometimes PA sometimes ME
E
ebsurveyor Offline OP
trapper
ebsurveyor  Offline OP
trapper
E

sometimes PA sometimes ME
Just came across this photo & wonder how common it is for no black tipped tail.

[Linked Image]

Re: Maine Trappers [Re: ebsurveyor] #6401698
12/17/18 09:33 PM
12/17/18 09:33 PM
maine
smallcreek55 Offline
trapper
smallcreek55  Offline
trapper

maine
Anyone from maine here got pic's of there covered muskrat floats. Would like to see how some of you are doing it.

Re: Maine Trappers [Re: ebsurveyor] #6410641
12/27/18 06:48 PM
12/27/18 06:48 PM
Aroostook county, Maine
B
beaver trapper Offline
trapper
beaver trapper  Offline
trapper
B

Aroostook county, Maine
Any of you guys chiseling ice yet looking for beaver?

Wilderness, in a word, is freedom
Re: Maine Trappers [Re: beaver trapper] #6410649
12/27/18 06:52 PM
12/27/18 06:52 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by beaver trapper
Any of you guys chiseling ice yet looking for beaver?

Beginning of next week after everything else closes.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread